Simple facts about evolution and debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
(notice a definition is Christian Science, which supports Mark Kennedy).

I don't believe that MK had Mary Baker Eddy in mind at all when he referred to Christian science.

Please note that the definition capitalizes both Christian Science thus pointing to a proper name.

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I give you, Darwin's goddess of creation, the personification of nature that inspired his discussion of natural selection.

templeofnature.jpg

"Hence without parent by spontaneous birth
Rise the first specks of animated earth;
From Nature's womb the plant or insect swims,
And buds or breathes, with microscopic limbs.

PRIESTESS OF NATURE! while with pious awe
Thy votary bends, the mystic veil withdraw;
Charm after charm, succession bright, display,
And give the GODDESS to adoring day!
So kneeling realms shall own the Power divine,
And heaven and earth pour incense on her shrine."

(The Temple of Nature By Erasmus Darwin)

http://www.english.upenn.edu/Projects/knarf/Darwin/temple1.html#5

Science means 'knowledge' as you have all come to realize. I am still waiting for someone to suggest what kind of knowledge, there is more then one you know.

While you ponder that one maybe you could consider this, what can be known of God?

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
steen said:
Huh? How odd. You seem to indicate that you sole and entire argument then rests on pure sophistry, then?

No, actually the evidence that convinced me that the Theory of Evolution as natural history was fossils and genetics. It might interest you to know that natural selection does not act above the level of genus.

Now, with regards to the propostion of the OP that many theologians embrace evolution. Many theologians embrace a host of extra-biblical doctrines, that standard for Christian doctrine is the Scriptures themselves.

There is a reason that the Bible starts off with in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth followed by the creation account. Its because it's foundational so lets stop pretending that that creationists just pulled this out of their hat.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It might interest you to know that natural selection does not act above the level of genus.

Unless you are talking about the kind of competition between hedgehogs and the endangered Uist warbler in the Outer Hebrides (eggs make a refreshing change to slug), I would have thought all natural selection operated on a species level. Once you have separate species, further natural selection will operate within each of the new species.

That does not say speciation events cannot accumulate into separate genera and as the species in the genera diverge, the genera themselves develop into whole new families.

Now, with regards to the propostion of the OP that many theologians embrace evolution. Many theologians embrace a host of extra-biblical doctrines, that standard for Christian doctrine is the Scriptures themselves.
Yet even YEC scholar embrace such extra biblical ideas are powered flight, car, x-rays...

There is a reason that the Bible starts off with in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth followed by the creation account. Its because it's foundational so lets stop pretending that that creationists just pulled this out of their hat.
I believe God created the heavens and the earth. What makes you think TEs don't?

Cute pic. That was Erasmus Darwin wasn't it?

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mark kennedy said:
No, actually the evidence that convinced me that the Theory of Evolution as natural history was fossils and genetics. It might interest you to know that natural selection does not act above the level of genus.
Well, it generally operates within a species, within a population. However, it certainly leads to speciation, and the methods and processes that lead to changes in populations are the same mechanisms that lead to any changes in cladistics.

And?

There is a reason that the Bible starts off with in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth followed by the creation account.
Sure. It is to show God's relevance.

Its because it's foundational so lets stop pretending that that creationists just pulled this out of their hat.
Why says you did? The problem is that you seek to push an allegory of why God matters, and try to change it into a science text, thus robbing it of its importance to Faith.

Reactions: Deamiter
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.