Similarities between Anglicanism and Orthodoxy?

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With Anglicanism, you can drive down highway 99 in California and stop at ten different Anglican churches and you'll find ten totally different theologies that all use a prayer book.

There's that old addage:
No one from the Pope to Mao Tse Tung can be certain that he is not an Anglican! ^_^:p

your priest maybe, a guy like Spong however.....

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've argued for years, after seeing gays, lesbians, transgenders, and other odd ducks get ordained, that the Episcopal Church will ordain anything and anyone. I just found my suspicions were indeed warranted!

Pope-Yoda-Star-Wars-La-Nuova-Figurazione-Italiana-.jpg

Reactions: StarOfSorrow
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've argued for years, after seeing gays, lesbians, transgenders, and other odd ducks get ordained, that the Episcopal Church will ordain anything and anyone. I just found my suspicions were indeed warranted!

Pope-Yoda-Star-Wars-La-Nuova-Figurazione-Italiana-.jpg

yeah...... you should submit this pic

Bad Vestments

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gurney tries his best to control his temper. Rush fan since high school. Progressive rock legends....timeless threesome band from Canada that influenced Gurney hugely...

LOL

The guy on the left is Geddy Lee, the bassist, vocalist, keyboard guy for Rush. The guy is simply amazing. Sean Penn? Hades no! ^_^

It seems that I am always very late for the Rush discussions that take place here. I'm definitely the biggest Rush fan in the room, in the whole wide room. And when I'm on the street - depending on the street - I bet I'm definitely in the top three biggest rush fans on the street - depending on the street.

I'm reminded of the song "If you want to be happy", by Jimmy Soul:

Say, man!
Hey, baby!
I saw your bassist the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, and he's ug-leeeee!
Yeah, he's ugly, but he sure can beat the living heck out of that bass, baby!
Yeah, alright!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biggest Rush fan here? hmmmm, you might be surprised. Gurney even listens to Caress of Steel sometimes! Now THAT is a real Rush fan! LOL

It seems that I am always very late for the Rush discussions that take place here. I'm definitely the biggest Rush fan in the room, in the whole wide room. And when I'm on the street - depending on the street - I bet I'm definitely in the top three biggest rush fans on the street - depending on the street.

I'm reminded of the song "If you want to be happy", by Jimmy Soul:

Say, man!
Hey, baby!
I saw your bassist the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, and he's ug-leeeee!
Yeah, he's ugly, but he sure can beat the living heck out of that bass, baby!
Yeah, alright!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Frankly, I think Rush lost their solid footing and solid sound after the Counterparts album. That album "Test for Echo" was pretty weak. What I heard of the others wasn't that hot, so I haven't kept up since. They got a grungey, too modern sell-out sound. Heck, even Counterparts was too modern for my taste. IMHO, Rush's pinnacle was the Moving Pictures/Signals/Grace Under Pressure era. After that they steadily declined. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, etc. were thin compared to their previous stuff, but those albums are still decent. I actually liked Counterparts better than the three albums that preceded them. The new stuff just doesn't grab me.

But then again, I'm kind of weird. Hemispheres is one of my favs! LOL

Have you heard their new album that came out this past June 12? If not, listen to "Headlong Flight" and keep "Bastille Day" in mind as you listen to the intro.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Frankly, I think Rush lost their solid footing and solid sound after the Counterparts album. That album "Test for Echo" was pretty weak. What I heard of the others wasn't that hot, so I haven't kept up since. They got a grungey, too modern sell-out sound. Heck, even Counterparts was too modern for my taste. IMHO, Rush's pinnacle was the Moving Pictures/Signals/Grace Under Pressure era. After that they steadily declined. Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, etc. were thin compared to their previous stuff, but those albums are still decent. I actually liked Counterparts better than the three albums that preceded them. The new stuff just doesn't grab me.

But then again, I'm kind of weird. Hemispheres is one of my favs! LOL

I'll disagree about Power Windows. I really disliked it for a long time, and I felt that it had way too much synthesizer. But it REALLY grew on me, and it might be my favorite of their albums from the 80s. Geddy rips his bass apart on that album like there was no tomorrow. I think they began to lose their way with Hold Your Fire, but temporarily got it back with Presto. I agree with you about the 90s. They tried to recover by trying to sound mainstream, but it was a flop. That was far from their best decade. But if you haven't heard much from the last decade, especially from Clockwork Angels, you're missing out.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was a decent album, and so was Hold Your Fire, but neither were up to par with the previous...Presto wasn't half as good as Counterparts, if you ask me. Again, it was ok.....Test for Echo was their first album where I was scratching my head...

I'll disagree about Power Windows. I really disliked it for a long time, and I felt that it had way too much synthesizer. But it REALLY grew on me, and it might be my favorite of their albums from the 80s. Geddy rips his bass apart on that album like there was no tomorrow. I think they began to lose their way with Hold Your Fire, but temporarily got it back with Presto. I agree with you about the 90s. They tried to recover by trying to sound mainstream, but it was a flop. That was far from their best decade. But if you haven't heard much from the last decade, especially from Clockwork Angels, you're missing out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa
✟17,283.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
With Anglicanism, you can drive down highway 99 in California and stop at ten different Anglican churches and you'll find ten totally different theologies that all use a prayer book.
Present your list of 10 parishes that are accessible from Highway 99 and have "totally" different theologies from one another, and we might have an interesting discussion. You have set the bar high, though, since if any two parishes agree on any single theological point, their theologies are not "totally" different.

Even aside from that point, however, no two theologians will necessarily agree on all points. Unless a writer make some explicitly heretical statement, his thought is at least prima facie acceptable. After this first pass, it would take detailed analysis of the writer's writings to show that his thought is somehow defective, or somehow less helpful than another's.

This is how one might deal with theological writers. How would you analyze the theological thought of a parish? Interviews with lay-folk? Interviews with clergy and staff? And how would you determine the importance, or lack of it, of any differences you might find between parishes? You haven't even proposed a way to research the question. Why should anyone believe your hypothesis about what the result of your research will be?

Now, St Gregory Nyssa church in San Francisco is by all reports (I have never visited) a liturgical outlier, with idiosynchratic practices. One might rationally wonder whether the differences in practice were manifestations of theological differences. Even so, one would still have to determine whether any of these differences rose to the level of heresy or not. But to get to St. Gregory Nyssa one takes Highway 101, not Highway 99, so it cannot count toward your list of 10 parishes, accessible from Highway 99, with "totally" different theologies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0