Similarities between Anglicanism and Orthodoxy?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please, ArmyMatt, the mention of Calvinism brings up fairly recent painful experiences with some Anglicans embracing Calvinism. Not here, though. :D

Anna

hahaha, I can imagine and I remember it when I was Anglicna. sorry if I poured some salt on any open wounds.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
hahaha, I can imagine and I remember it when I was Anglicna. sorry if I poured some salt on any open wounds.

No worries. With the state of Anglicanism right now, one cannot use a salt shaker without hitting an open wound. :doh:

We in TEC have become the new walking wounded as the result of our own "civil war." :help:

Peace and blessings,
Anna

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No worries. With the state of Anglicanism right now, one cannot use a salt shaker without hitting an open wound. :doh:

We in TEC have become the new walking wounded as the result of our own "civil war." :help:

Peace and blessings,
Anna

oh I hear you sister, I was Anglican up until 2005, which was when the civil war started happening, at least the major blows. so I can only imagine how it must have been for the past few years.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
oh I hear you sister, I was Anglican up until 2005, which was when the civil war started happening, at least the major blows. so I can only imagine how it must have been for the past few years.

I saw that in your posts, and some Anglicans have made a move to Orthodoxy. We lost Gurney. :doh:

The first time I visited my Episcopal Parish; I was rather surprised to see 4 beautiful icons in the Nave. I later learned they are the icons found in Orthodox Churches around the Great Doors leading to Sanctuary.

The 4 icons were commissioned by our Rector, and are by Teresa Harrison (who studied with Philip Zimmerman and Kzenia Pokrovsky.) The icons are The Blessed Virgin Mary; Kyrie Pantocrator (Christ as the Lord and Creator of Heaven and Earth - a form modeled on the oldest extant icon in the world found in St. Catherine's Monastery, Sinai, Egypt); St. John the Baptist; and our patron saint (a Western saint represented in Eastern style.)

The leaflet I received on the icons says, "The icons are intended to enhance our devotion to God, especially the Love revealed to us on the Cross, which hangs at their center as the focal point. The icons, then, suggest 'the 'angels and archangels, and all the company of heaven' who join us in worshiping and glorifying the Crucified and Risen Christ."

The Rector often uses EO prayers and quotes EO writings and ECF's in general. Of course, he also quotes Popes, especially JP II.

He does quote Anglican writers also. :D

Anna

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I saw that in your posts, and some Anglicans have made a move to Orthodoxy. We lost Gurney. :doh:

The first time I visited my Episcopal Parish; I was rather surprised to see 4 beautiful icons in the Nave. I later learned they are the icons found in Orthodox Churches around the Great Doors leading to Sanctuary.

The 4 icons were commissioned by our Rector, and are by Teresa Harrison (who studied with Philip Zimmerman and Kzenia Pokrovsky.) The icons are The Blessed Virgin Mary; Kyrie Pantocrator (Christ as the Lord and Creator of Heaven and Earth - a form modeled on the oldest extant icon in the world found in St. Catherine's Monastery, Sinai, Egypt); St. John the Baptist; and our patron saint (a Western saint represented in Eastern style.)

The leaflet I received on the icons says, "The icons are intended to enhance our devotion to God, especially the Love revealed to us on the Cross, which hangs at their center as the focal point. The icons, then, suggest 'the 'angels and archangels, and all the company of heaven' who join us in worshiping and glorifying the Crucified and Risen Christ."

The Rector often uses EO prayers and quotes EO writings and ECF's in general. Of course, he also quotes Popes, especially JP II.

He does quote Anglican writers also. :D

Anna

yeah my old parish priest used to have old Byzantine icons in his office, as does my very Anglican grandmother in her house. so I have seen it meself as well. probably, along with the Western Rite, is a reason why many Anglicans who are becoming frustrated are looking toward Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My old rector used to tell me how much he agreed with J.I. Packer about holy images, how unnecessary they were and how they nurture an immature mind about God, requiring silly artistic renderings that lead to an idolatrous attachment to them, requiring a mere painting to see God...He always said JOKINGLY to me, "here comes my idol-worshipping Catholic parishoner, Scott!" He said that to me and I cleared my throat "ahh-hem" and pointed behind him in his office. He looked puzzled, "huh?" and I did it again, "ahhh-hem!" and pointed behind him. He turned around to the area behind his big, fancy desk. There was a Pantocrator Orthodox icon....

nuff said :sorry::p

yeah my old parish priest used to have old Byzantine icons in his office, as does my very Anglican grandmother in her house. so I have seen it meself as well. probably, along with the Western Rite, is a reason why many Anglicans who are becoming frustrated are looking toward Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The answer to fixing Anglicanism----listening to Rush

tumblr_mai45jjy4A1r1ii1ao1_500.jpg

At risk of offending you due to my pop culture ignorance but is that Sean Penn on the left?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
gurney tries his best to control his temper. Rush fan since high school. Progressive rock legends....timeless threesome band from Canada that influenced Gurney hugely...

LOL

The guy on the left is Geddy Lee, the bassist, vocalist, keyboard guy for Rush. The guy is simply amazing. Sean Penn? Hades no! ^_^

At risk of offending you due to my pop culture ignorance but is that Sean Penn on the left?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember listening to "Subdivisions" by Rush in high school...[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], this tune summed up EVERYTHING about how alienated I felt day to day!
About cliques and how human beings try so hard to subdivide into microcosms...I wasn't a total loner like the kid in the video, always had friends, but I felt like the high school culture was phony and just like the lyrics here.....Rush had some awesome tunes

Subdivisions - Rush (Official Video) - YouTube

That video is from '81, the only music I was listening to then was on Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Bad hair and Sean Penn resemblance aside though, I will give you they are good.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That video is from '81, the only music I was listening to then was on Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Bad hair and Sean Penn resemblance aside though, I will give you they are good.

Music from 1981...lol, that's the year my parents were married. I was two gleams in my daddy's eye away from gleamhood myself.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The days when music was truly music.....not the absurd nonsense we hear today that scarcely passes for it. Progressive rock was in full swing: Yes, Rush, Alan Parson's Project, Pink Floyd, holy Lord those were good times. I remember I was kid and I'd walk into Gemco in Visalia, which was the equivalent of Target for those days....I'd look in the music section and see
The Police
Rush
Yes
Floyd
Duran Duran
The Cars
Pretenders
Toto (the greatest!)
Kiss
Pat Benatar
Heart
Genesis

Oh man, what great times....

Music from 1981...lol, that's the year my parents were married. I was two gleams in my daddy's eye away from gleamhood myself.

Upvote 0

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

lol, well I existed, though I suspect my older brothers wished differently, but I was a toddler in '81 so the music from the era isn't something I am acquainted with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's so worth catching up on! Just listen to the Police for starters...love at first sight....

lol, well I existed, though I suspect my older brothers wished differently, but I was a toddler in '81 so the music from the area isn't something I am acquainted with.

Upvote 0

Adam Warlock

Feb 7, 2011
✟14,279.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The days when music was truly music.....not the absurd nonsense we hear today that scarcely passes for it. Progressive rock was in full swing: Yes, Rush, Alan Parson's Project, Pink Floyd, holy Lord those were good times. I remember I was kid and I'd walk into Gemco in Visalia, which was the equivalent of Target for those days....I'd look in the music section and see
The Police
Rush
Yes
Floyd
Duran Duran
The Cars
Pretenders
Toto (the greatest!)
Kiss
Pat Benatar
Heart
Genesis

Oh man, what great times....

The list of gospel truth :D

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know, I LOVE Peter Gabriel, but not Peter Gabriel with Genesis. I liked Phil, but I think they went a bit more commercial with Phil at the helm. I was never a huge Genesis fan. They're ok. Peter Gabriel's solo work was and is incredible.

I just remember as a kid hearing "Games Without Frontiers" and we all thought it was saying "she's so funky, yeah!" instead of what it really is saying! ^_^

just so long as it's Genesis with Peter Gabriel, not to be hatin on Phil Collins.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know, I LOVE Peter Gabriel, but not Peter Gabriel with Genesis. I liked Phil, but I think they went a bit more commercial with Phil at the helm. I was never a huge Genesis fan. They're ok. Peter Gabriel's solo work was and is incredible.

I just remember as a kid hearing "Games Without Frontiers" and we all thought it was saying "she's so funky, yeah!" instead of what it really is saying! ^_^

yeah Phil made them a little too 80's pop for me, although to be fair, Comin' in the Air Tonight and his songs on the Tarzan soundtrack are pretty awesome.

Peter Gabriel had me sold when I first saw the music video for Sledgehammer.

Upvote 0