On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was responding the the bolded words in the post you quoted about the 'yoke', not about John the Baptist.

Often 'yoke' is taken in a negative context. I was just trying to nip that in the bud before it became a thread about what a burden the Torah is. (You just know someone would bring that up. ;) )

Ahh, hadn't made that connection, but I suppose this gives new meaning to what Christ said.

Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.

What was His contrast between His yoke and others' yokes?

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who knows, maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

To follow up, thanks to Fire---

Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am [he], and [that] I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

So that would dispel the idea Christ was taught by a rabbi, but rather was taught of God the Father. So, as you hinted, perhaps the point by Luke mentioning Jesus at age 12 is to affirm that Christ was taught by Father, not man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because in the Jewish tradition when a rabbi claimed to have a new yoke, or a new set of interpretations of the Torah, the teaching wouldn't be accepted unless two other authorities (typically other rabbis) affirmed this teacher and his new yoke. So, when Jesus was baptized, John the Baptist was essentially the first authority to affirm Jesus' new yoke, and shortly thereafter the Father spoke and affirmed Jesus and his new yoke.

John bore witness, but Christ didn't "use" it.

Jn. 5:33-4 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.

Instead,

36-37 But I have greater witness than [that] of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

But, if what you say is accurate for the time, and probably it was, then this adds more understanding to the hatred some had to Christ.

Interesting.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was responding the the bolded words in the post you quoted about the 'yoke', not about John the Baptist.

Often 'yoke' is taken in a negative context. I was just trying to nip that in the bud before it became a thread about what a burden the Torah is. (You just know someone would bring that up. ;) )
Such as in Revelation 6:5 :) ;)

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon
Strong's Number G2218 matches the Greek ζυγός (zygos), which occurs 6 times in 6 verses in the Greek concordance

NKJV) Revelation 6:5 When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come and see."
So I looked, and behold! a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales/zugon <2218> in his hand.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Such as in Revelation 6:5 :) ;)

Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon
Strong's Number G2218 matches the Greek &#950;&#965;&#947;&#972;&#962; (zygos), which occurs 6 times in 6 verses in the Greek concordance

NKJV) Revelation 6:5 When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come and see."
So I looked, and behold! a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales/zugon <2218> in his hand.

Whatever.

Upvote 0

x141

Sep 25, 2011
Where you are ...
Visit site
✟25,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joh_7:15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

Joh_8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Joh_7:15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

Joh_8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Right. So, Luke, by mentioning Jesus at age 12, is telling us this too.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since there doesn't appear to be anything in scripture about age 12, near as I can tell, then we turn to tradition to find out why.

Apparently there's the bar mitzvah idea.

How about this one that coincides with that?

Gen. 17:25 And Ishmael his son [was] thirteen years old, when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin.

Christ was circumcised at 8 days, so perhaps the sense is to "work" outside that association of teaching beginning at age 13.

Just speculating. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

x141

Sep 25, 2011
Where you are ...
Visit site
✟25,111.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are twelve hours in the day and twelve in the night, Jesus' twelve stones or lesser light that rules the night were layed in the Jordan as the dove descending upon him is the twelve stones laid in his land/soul.

The bond woman and her son, a perception, are not partakers of the promise. Everyone has a son of perdition or serpent in the path, an image that provokes to jealousy, an abomination that makes the holy place deoslate ...

Upvote 0