Should We Question Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Izzo

Aug 5, 2009
✟15,111.00
Faith
Methodist
I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site. Should people question Christianity? Or at least people who are not yet Christians. I consider myself a Christian although I do believe that we should question it instead of just believing it because "The Bible says so." The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

That's basically my thought on that and am wondering what you guys think about it.

Sorry if this should go somewhere elsewhere. All of these sections are confusing.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site. Should people question Christianity? Or at least people who are not yet Christians. I consider myself a Christian although I do believe that we should question it instead of just believing it because "The Bible says so." The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

That's basically my thought on that and am wondering what you guys think about it.

Sorry if this should go somewhere elsewhere. All of these sections are confusing.
I guess maybe it depends on what you question? God doesn't mind questions, that is how we learn. Questioning is searching for the truth.

There are right ways and wrong ways to question others belief, though. We question in a manner which separates us or question in a manner which brings us closer together.

Question others in a respectful and gentle manner.

Pray, pray, and pray some more. God listens and many times he answers.

God Bless,
Yarddog

Upvote 0

ticker

...at your service!
Jun 10, 2007
The Kingdom...kinda...
✟20,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should We Question Christianity?

Of course.

I'd kinda worry about someone who's considering themselves a Christian because of their family's traditional beliefs/national faith/infant baptism/etc...

(....which is why I often worry about the millions and millions of religious believers out there who fall under that category).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
If you question something, please be prepare to research and listen to the answers, otherwise, it's just whining.

Remember, the disciples questioned Jesus when they heard a parable they didn't understand, things that were not known to them, and just general questions they would like to know. But the thing about the disciples was that they wanted to know the answers.

Upvote 0

homewardbound

Sep 8, 2004
Sweet Home Alabama
✟10,169.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You absolutely should be willing to carefully examine your faith if you are genuinely interested in knowing the truth. Not questioning one's beliefs is one of the main reasons people end up in cults.

1 Peter 3:15 tells us we should be "prepared to make a defense to any who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you". It's difficult to credibly defend your faith if you haven't taken the time to thoughtfully and respectfully examine your beliefs and be willing to question the same things that others question about Christianity. Anyone who is afraid to question Christianity lacks confidence in the One true God. Bear in mind you don't question it recklessly or foolishly...but God will gladly listen to the heart that is asking in honesty and respect.

Upvote 0

Paul1965

Liberal Fundamentalist
Jul 15, 2009
Ohio
✟7,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of experience. I grew up in church, and if someone asked me of my religion, I said Protestant. I didn't even know what that meant, it was something I was programmed to say. Looking back, I can say I wasn't even a believer. When I was 30, I started to investigate and question what was true. It was that investigation and questioning that brought me to believe and become a Christian.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A popular saying is "Lord I believe; help my unbelief"

Struggling with belief and practice is a natural part of the Christian Walk. Those who say otherwise are, with all due respect, either misguided, self-deceived, or outright liars. Even the most pious of those recognized as Saints had their struggles.

Struggling isn't going to condemn us. God will not test us beyond our personal ability; He knows our limitations and would absolutely never, because He is compassionate, just, and merciful, put us through more than we could honestly bear. He knows we shall struggle in all matters of living faith. The struggling isn't going to make Him condemn us; on the contrary, I would argue that it is when we cease to struggle that we will have abandoned God because there will never be a time in our life when we will not be put to the test by something. That something needn't be God or the Devil; it could very well be with ourselves, with nature, or with someone else.

Questioning is a critical part of that struggle. Don't be afraid to question. Openly question, but do so honestly and with a clear and open mind. Reject any and all biases, accept only good facts and logical opinions, and above all, do everything prayerfully.

The struggle will not end until we pass on. To many, that is a frightening thought. For others, including myself, it is a comfort, because it gives me a nearly tangible "feeling" that I still do have faith.

"Lord I belief; help my unbelief." Help us understand, so that we may believe all the stronger.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF Tom.

The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

That is the paradox - religion is largely determined on who are our parents and where they reside.

If I was born in Iran I would most assuredly be a Muslim and not Christian. Having been born Muslim I would perceive Christianity in a different way than I do having been born in a Christian land. So you are right - we largely follow our parents.

Once you realize as much then a whole bag of questions are begging answers.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course learning requires questions. Believing something "because the Bible says so" isn't as big a problem as you think. But there are very serious problems with accepting something shallowly without knowing what it means or where it leads, because you think the Bible says it. The two are very different.

I spend a whole lot of time trying to find out what the Bible means, because if I approach it in conflict with what it flatly says, then it's pretty obvious who's wrong. But leaving it at, "Oh, the Bible says x", that doesn't mean diddly. Is it 180deg opposed? Is it slightly inconsistent? Is it a whole different system of thought? Is it the same system, with different valuations?

Hm, lots of questions come up -- by simply trying to believe what the Bible says. Because if you don't know what the Bible means by what it says, you can't very well believe something you can't understand as to meaning.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Growing up my parents took us to lots of different churches, til they ended up where they are now, a non-denominational church. As an adult, I followed their example and explored different churches. I never tried other religions but certain read up on them and would have explored them had I felt so inclined. I think its really good you learn about what's out there. How can you make an informed decision without information?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

freeport

You are confusing the word "Christianity" with Scripture. You should believe Scripture as that is believing the apostles and prophets. Believing the apostles and prophets is believing the One who sent them.

Everybody doubts them to some degree, otherwise they would be with the words and deeds of the apostles and prophets.

So, what you are saying is not new or original, but it is what the majority does: to doubt them and their testimony.

However, this is unfortunate, for if you would believe their testimony, and strive to believe it deeper, you would 'gain their reward'.

As for seeking truth: we who believe these that give testimony from God know in our hearts through the anointing of the Holy Spirit that what they say is true.

We also testify to the truth of their message, and you have a choice to believe us, as well, or not to believe us -- but if you do not believe us it is because the Father does not enable you to do so.

And if you do believe, it is because the Father enabled you to do so.

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
As the Bible itself declares

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (New American Standard Bible)

21But (A)examine everything carefully; (B)hold fast to that which is good;

I believe that this includes Christianity. If we do not put something to the test, how can we know if it is true? Examine everything carefully and hold on to what is good.

This is a good philosophy for our lives and our spirtuality.

Upvote 0

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The Gospel given to us is the power of God to salvation.

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, Ephesians 1:13 ESV

Without believing and implicitly trusting without question the truths of God's will and His plan of redemption contained in the Bible, I don't see how faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and redeemer is possible.

Upvote 0

BrendanMark

Apr 4, 2007
Australia
✟16,317.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Gospel given to us is the power of God to salvation.

Without believing and implicitly trusting without question the truths of God's will and His plan of redemption contained in the Bible, I don't see how faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and redeemer is possible.

Really? I believed in Christ through prayer and experience of the indwelling Spirit, and because of that trusted the Bible and Church as regards spiritual truth (I am no literalist). I was quite keen on Zen before the presence of the Holy Spirit to guided me to Christ.

This discovery of the inner self plays a familiar part in Christian mysticism. But there is a significant difference, which is clearly brought out by St. Augustine. In Zen there seems to be no effort to get beyond the inner self. In Christianity the inner self is simply a stepping stone to an awareness of God. Man is the image of God, and his inner self is a kind of mirror in which God not only sees Himself, but reveals Himself to the “mirror” in which He is reflected. Thus, through the dark, transparent mystery of our own inner being we can, as it were, see God “thorough a glass.” All this is of course pure metaphor. It is a way of saying our being somehow communicates directly with the Being of God, Who is “in us.” If we enter into ourselves, find our true self, and then pass “beyond” the inner “I,” we sail forth into the immense darkness in which we confront the “I AM” of the Almighty.
Merton, Thomas The Inner Experience – Notes on Contemplation [Harper SanFrancisco 2003 William Shannon Ed. p 11]

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Even the most praised of figures in the Bible sometimes questioned their faith. Take John the Baptist for example. He had baptized Jesus Himself and he still sent out his disiples to go and figure out if Jesus really was the Messiah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site.

Should people question Christianity? Or at least people who are not yet Christians. I consider myself a Christian although I do believe that we should question it instead of just believing it because "The Bible says so."

The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

Greetings and welcome to CF!
You asked about People questioning Christianity then brought up non-Christians.
"I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site. Should people question Christianity?"

I have debated non-Christians for a number of years on Forums, including CF, and I find the ones that used to be Christians, but deconverted to either Atheism or another non-Christian religion, are the most difficult to debate against.

I have found that those that have never been Christians or ever been introduced to Christianity are easier to dialogue with.

For example, I find ex-Christians that deconverted to Judaism or Islam the most difficult to debate on the Bible as some of those had been Christians for a number of years but found Christianity itself in a start of "confusion" [as can be witnessed on the GT board :D]

I never question whether Jesus is my Lord and Savior or that YHWH is His Father as written in both the OT and NT of our Christian Bible. Thoughts? :wave:

Upvote 0

Gary51

Senior Veteran
Sep 4, 2007
South Yorkshire, England
✟21,383.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
If you question something, please be prepare to research and listen to the answers, otherwise, it's just whining.
But you have never researched the claims of other denominations about their claim of being led by the Holy Spirit. Remember you said you had no desire to do so!

Upvote 0

RibI

Jul 31, 2009
✟1,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should We Question Christianity? I've been wondering about this for a couple weeks now and it led to me becoming a member on this site. Should people question Christianity? Or at least people who are not yet Christians. I consider myself a Christian although I do believe that we should question it instead of just believing it because "The Bible says so." The reason I believe this is because if you didn't question Christianity then you would never question other religions. Say I was a person who just went by "because the this book says so" now if I were born into a family who was of another religion I would have never found Christianity. I would have simply followed my parents faith. I don't think that's right. That sort of makes me mad because when I see people who believe that way, I know there are people of religions elsewhere doing the same exact thing.

Prove ALL things hold on to what is good.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.