Should the president of the US be a christian?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I was asked this question on a questionaire I filled out, and it made me stop and think, "Should the President of the US be a Christian?" and I got stumbled for a moment...

After thinking about it for a little bit, I came up with this answer: "Yes, in general, I think that the President of the United States should profess to be a Christian... But, do I expect him to know everything about Jesus Christ, God, and his or our spirituality? No...

The President constantly has other matters on his plate (as he should) like relations between nations, public affairs, matters of state, along with a whole host of other issues, how is he or she going to have enough space on their plate in dealing with these matters, probably their whole lives, matters that in and of themselves take a lifetime to learn and master... How/is that person expected to know these things and also be an expert on spiritual matters, that (in order to become an expert on them) also takes a whole, if not several lifetimes to know, learn, and master?

What I would expect him or her to do is to have a trusted, appointed advisor on these things (spiritual matters, Christianity) No one man (or woman) including the president can become an expert on matters of state (political matters) and also become an expert on spirituality at the same time, it just to much for one person to handle.

But I do expect him to appoint and have an expert (on spiritual matters) close to his or her side, someone they go to all the time for advice on the spiritual matters, conditions of things, like the Kings use to have in OT times, a high priest, or a prophet, who could be trusted to know God's opinions about things, and how the Presidents decisions in stately matters would affect the spiritual condition of nations, or the world.

Now whether or not... We would have to make sure that this spiritual advisor was a true, real one, and would tell the King (President) not just what he wants to hear about things, but what God really thinks...

Whether or not the President(s) would listen to such a man, would be a different story though...

What do you think?

God Bless!

P

Profane

Take a look at Obama, he clearly only joined a church just to say to the public "Yes, I'm Christian." I'd argue that a large number of our presidents haven't been Christians, they where Atheists. Which, personally I have no problem with, being Christian doesn't make you a good ruler, anyone with any understand of history would know that, but at the very least I wish they'd stop lying about it- but I suppose then they wouldn't get as many votes.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't think he should claim to be a Christian. His involvement in worldly affairs would put him in constant conflict with the values of Heaven. Invariably when this happens, most people will choose the values of the world, especially if they hold an important office.

This only serves to confuse the issues about what it means to be a Christian. Many times I've heard people complain to me about how Christianity is a joke because of abuses that come from American politicians who claim to be Christian but do not live by genuine Christian values at all. Politicians should either be politicians or Christians, but not both.

Take a look at Obama, he clearly only joined a church just to say to the public "Yes, I'm Christian." I'd argue that a large number of our presidents haven't been Christians, they where Atheists. Which, personally I have no problem with, being Christian doesn't make you a good ruler, anyone with any understand of history would know that, but at the very least I wish they'd stop lying about it- but I suppose then they wouldn't get as many votes.

Christians can be good leaders, but it depends on your perspective. If you follow worldly values, then good Christian leaders will look like crazy religious fanatics while politicians will look like cleverly diplomatic statesmen who know how to handle tricky situations.

The truth is that they are both clever, but in different ways.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi neogaia,

Should the president of the United States be a christian?

Personally, I would prefer that the leader of our nation be a born again believer. Being a christian doesn't really guarantee that. However, I don't honestly expect that, and I generally don't consider one's position before God when deciding who might be the best candidate for the job. Or course, one of the reasons I don't use that measuring metric is that I don't think there's ever been anyone to ever make it to the last round of voting who would satisfy it.

I do, however, look for any candidate to understand that there is a God and that He is the God who has revealed himself to us through the Scriptures. As far as I could tell, both of the last candidates met that metric. So, no, I would not cast my vote for an atheist or buddhist or member of any of the other 'religions', if there was an alternative that met the above criteria.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes he should be. Should a factory worker be a Christian, fireman, lawyer, dentist.....all should be. But there is no law saying you have too.

"As the family goes so goes the church, as the church goes so goes the country. As the country goes so goes the government. God gives us the President we deserve, he is the reflection of the people." Pastor Maurice Robinson

As you can see, that can be scary.

Upvote 0

KrAZeD

Apr 13, 2014
✟15,602.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't think he should claim to be a Christian. His involvement in worldly affairs would put him in constant conflict with the values of Heaven. Invariably when this happens, most people will choose the values of the world, especially if they hold an important office.

This only serves to confuse the issues about what it means to be a Christian. Many times I've heard people complain to me about how Christianity is a joke because of abuses that come from American politicians who claim to be Christian but do not live by genuine Christian values at all. Politicians should either be politicians or Christians, but not both.

Christians can be good leaders, but it depends on your perspective. If you follow worldly values, then good Christian leaders will look like crazy religious fanatics while politicians will look like cleverly diplomatic statesmen who know how to handle tricky situations.

The truth is that they are both clever, but in different ways.

You brushed on the aspect of claiming christian but not being a true born again christian. While your right our current leaders claim one thing but all succumb to flesh desires for the world to see. Thus iterating where is the light in them, and where are the works of their belief. Christianity becomes fruitless when used and shown like that.

While if a true born again believer was to stay true to our Lord, the entire Globe would know and see it. We can remember Joseph because of his belief and holding to The Lord was second only to pharaoh, and all saw the glory through him. The same with Daniel. All saw his righteousness to The Lord, and how God was always with him.

So while yes, if their was a true christian leader and he held close to God, the enemy would rebel against him, and attempt to find fault. However the nations, people that would work with him and respect him would become blessed through that leader.

Unlikely possible in today's society, only due to Gods allowance of allowing the enemy to become blinded to the truth though.

Upvote 0

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes he should be. Should a factory worker be a Christian, fireman, lawyer, dentist.....all should be. But there is no law saying you have too.

"As the family goes so goes the church, as the church goes so goes the country. As the country goes so goes the government. God gives us the President we deserve, he is the reflection of the people." Pastor Maurice Robinson

As you can see, that can be scary.

I think this quote pretty much nails it. The U.S. government is a government "of the people" and, thus, the leaders that are selected are a reflection of the majority of the voting population. Therefore, if our President is incompetent, it is only because we--as a people--are incompetent. If our Senate and Congress are ineffective, it is because we too are ineffective. If our Courts are corrupted, it is because we are corrupt. "We the people" are the ones responsible for our problems because we select our own leaders.

I for one will select the person who I believe is the best person for the job and who reflects my political views and the values of my faith. I do look at their faith and how it has affected their past policies. Of course, most of the time I am left--as we all are--with picking the lesser of two evils.

As Christians, we need to do a better job of permeating our country with the gospel of Christ with the hope of seeing as many people saved and discipled in the faith as possible. It starts with prayer and practice. We need God's presence and he draws near to those who draw near to him. Having spent time with the Master, we are then live in a manner that demonstrates we actually believe what we say we believe.

"For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people." 1 Peter 2:15

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life..." Philippians 2:14-16a

"Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

We must not depend on the government (on any level: president or mayor, etc) to change our culture or demonstrate love, charity, and goodness to our needy citizens. As the Church of the living God, we ought to follow Christ and to do these things we want the government to do, such as educate, feed the poor, health care, etc. As we impact our culture with the way of Christ, I believe we will see the changes we all want. And as people change for the better, I believe the people with vote for competent, effective, and morale leaders.

Upvote 0

peterandrewj

Wayfarer
Jan 14, 2014
NYC
✟8,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think this quote pretty much nails it. The U.S. government is a government "of the people" and, thus, the leaders that are selected are a reflection of the majority of the voting population. Therefore, if our President is incompetent, it is only because we--as a people--are incompetent. If our Senate and Congress are ineffective, it is because we too are ineffective. If our Courts are corrupted, it is because we are corrupt. "We the people" are the ones responsible for our problems because we select our own leaders.

Very well said and so true.

I do not want to live in a theocracy, neither force a christian value system on others. That possibility actually scares me. Let the inquisition remain in the past.

I believe religious affiliation by politicians is purely for votes, and do not take it seriously.

I'd like everyone to know God's salvation, but I can't see becoming president after the fact.

Upvote 0

MaidforHim

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟21,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that God should be at the center of everything, he made everything, he has all the answers, he made the rules.

Having a leader that views the world using the Bible as a lens, putting God at the heart of his decisions would be perfect. If you do everything God's way could there be anything better?

I don't think mans ways could ever equal God's ways. And if your seeking God on every decision and actually following God's will then I believe that president and his nation would be blessed.

Of course this all assumes that a Christian President is actually that, a Christian. Not a Christian in name only, but someone who actual loves, seeks and follows God.

No man is perfect, but the closest a person can ever come to that is when they are truly following God.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I for one will select the person who I believe is the best person for the job and who reflects my political views and the values of my faith. I do look at their faith and how it has affected their past policies. Of course, most of the time I am left--as we all are--with picking the lesser of two evils.

As Christians, we need to do a better job of permeating our country with the gospel of Christ with the hope of seeing as many people saved and discipled in the faith as possible. It starts with prayer and practice. We need God's presence and he draws near to those who draw near to him. Having spent time with the Master, we are then live in a manner that demonstrates we actually believe what we say we believe.

"For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people." 1 Peter 2:15

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life..." Philippians 2:14-16a

"Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

We must not depend on the government (on any level: president or mayor, etc) to change our culture or demonstrate love, charity, and goodness to our needy citizens. As the Church of the living God, we ought to follow Christ and to do these things we want the government to do, such as educate, feed the poor, health care, etc. As we impact our culture with the way of Christ, I believe we will see the changes we all want. And as people change for the better, I believe the people with vote for competent, effective, and morale leaders.

I totally agree with this post. Well said!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StephanieSomer

Mar 16, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
✟12,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I'd want my president to be a Christian, I do not use that as a criteria in choosing for whom to vote. I did that once, he won, and it didn't bode well for our nation. Although I still believe him to be a good and upright man, he wasn't really presidential material.

Another thought has also occurred to me in this regard that did make me consider simply saying, "No, the president shouldn't be a Christian". Of all the people I've met, when I consider who among them are the most reluctant to compromise because of their ideology, I have to admit that it's Christians. And I have to admit that I am one of those. Compromise is very difficult when one is in a situation where they are thoroughly convinced they are right. And that mindset is indeed common among us, even IF we don't all believe the same things. Compromise is an essential skill for the presidency to be effective.

Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was asked this question on a questionaire I filled out, and it made me stop and think, "Should the President of the US be a Christian?" and I got stumbled for a moment...

After thinking about it for a little bit, I came up with this answer: "Yes, in general, I think that the President of the United States should profess to be a Christian... But, do I expect him to know everything about Jesus Christ, God, and his or our spirituality? No...

The President constantly has other matters on his plate (as he should) like relations between nations, public affairs, matters of state, along with a whole host of other issues, how is he or she going to have enough space on their plate in dealing with these matters, probably their whole lives, matters that in and of themselves take a lifetime to learn and master... How/is that person expected to know these things and also be an expert on spiritual matters, that (in order to become an expert on them) also takes a whole, if not several lifetimes to know, learn, and master?

What I would expect him or her to do is to have a trusted, appointed advisor on these things (spiritual matters, Christianity) No one man (or woman) including the president can become an expert on matters of state (political matters) and also become an expert on spirituality at the same time, it just to much for one person to handle.

But I do expect him to appoint and have an expert (on spiritual matters) close to his or her side, someone they go to all the time for advice on the spiritual matters, conditions of things, like the Kings use to have in OT times, a high priest, or a prophet, who could be trusted to know God's opinions about things, and how the Presidents decisions in stately matters would affect the spiritual condition of nations, or the world.

Now whether or not... We would have to make sure that this spiritual advisor was a true, real one, and would tell the King (President) not just what he wants to hear about things, but what God really thinks...

Whether or not the President(s) would listen to such a man, would be a different story though...

What do you think?

God Bless!
I think it would be great if the president were a Christian, but *should* the president be Christian? No, I don't think so. He should be decent, honest, a statesman, and all that, but he represents the whole of the nation, not just one group of people.

Upvote 0