Should I do this?

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I go to my sisters house or in my own home. I feel I want to throw away my sisters tv or my own( moms tv) should I do this? What if God takes me to hell if I don't do this?

Sounds like you want to enter the realm of hell sooner than later...

And I thought Amish people didn't use the internet.

Upvote 0

AGTG

Mar 11, 2014
✟6,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The television is foul, but you it's not upon you to force people to turn away from it. They have freewill, and you need to honor that.

If it's an issue for you, and it's an issue for me, as I won't pipe cable into my household, don't bother sitting and letting it wash over you. Pray for the people who you wish would draw nearer to God. Show them love.

Really, though, I'm astonished at how Christians are willing to let that garbage flood their homes and act as if it's not a problem.

The real issue is that they have not walked away from television for any length of time. They're like the frog getting boiled in the pot of water. Since it happens to change slowly, they don't notice how foul it's getting.

If you avoid watching television for 3 months, and go back and turn it on, you will notice how demented an influence it is upon people.

Shoot, even intellectual atheists recognize how bad it is. Christians who should live to a higher standard of morality should be even more discerning. The television is merely a propaganda tool for satan to change the way you think about yourself, the world, and God.

Upvote 0

Vince53

Oct 22, 2009
Mexico
Visit site
✟37,294.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's all right, Vanessa. TV is very corrupt, and you'll probably be a better Christian without it. But forbidding TV is a man-made rule. If God tells you to get rid of your TV, do so. But you have no Scriptural authority to force that rule on someone else.

Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I go to my sisters house or in my own home. I feel I want to throw away my sisters tv or my own( moms tv) should I do this? What if God takes me to hell if I don't do this?

Vanessa, before you do anything. Go have a talk with your local church Pastor on the subject. Let the Pastor know of your concerns of influence of TV.

Until then, know it's not Jesus' desire to send you to hell. His desire for you to ask for forgiveness for your sins and spend time with him. He desires to wash you clean in your heart and mind.

As the others have posted, I am concerned that you don't have a clear understand about Jesus and the bible. That is why I like you to talk to your local church Pastor so they can guide you into the truth.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If tv is foul then so is newspapers, radio, cars......its what you use it for....better not go to the store, they sell cigarettes...I have gone without TV for years because the church I attended were legalists......Guess what....I found Christ through TV, first by watching "Jesus of Nazereth" then started watching the 700 Club....the material object, TV is not foul.....if you watch foul stuff on it don't blame the TV, look at your own self and judge according.

Upvote 0

Clay Vessel

Mar 11, 2013
NW USA
✟15,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the TVs were yours and not your mom's and sister's, then throwing either of them away would be fine. When they belong to someone else, no matter how vile the shows on them are, it is a sin for you to destroy them. It is a form of stealing. So, my advice is, don't watch TV. You are not forced to watch. Go in the other room. Read your Bible or a good book. Take a walk. Pray for your sister and mom to desire to watch good programs and put your mind on something else.

Upvote 0

DannLeavitt

In Christ Alone.
May 14, 2014
New Brunswick
✟8,368.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Bible doesn't say anything about condemning television. If you are going to throw out their TV, throw out your computer first. The internet is FAR worse than television. How often can you readily access inappropriate contentography during daytime television? Never in my life have I seen it. Yet on computers, this can be accessed far quicker than television.

I find that people who teach against televisions tend to be hypocrites, because they have laptops and computers replacing their television. Yeah, there's a lot of junk on television. It's up to you to filter it out and find proper programs to watch. But really, computers are worse. Even advertisements on websites these days will have suggestive images that show themselves without warning.

"Matthew 7:3-5 ESV 3 Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Look at it this way.

Why do you see the TV that is in your brother's house, but do not notice the computer that is in your own house? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the television out of your house,’ when there is a computer in your own house? You hypocrite, first take the computer out of your own house, and then you will see clearly to take the television out of your brother's house.

Now, I don't think that either computers or televisions are evil. And I don't think you should get rid of either one. If you shelter yourself from the world so much, you become completely unaware of the culture that is around you. When you become unaware to the culture around you, you will have the hardest time reaching the souls in that culture for Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"When I go to my sisters house or in my own home. I feel I want to throw away my sisters tv or my own( moms tv) should I do this?"

NO!!!!!

"What if God takes me to hell if I don't do this?"

God will only "take you to hell" if you're NOT Born Again through FAITH in the Shed Blood of Jesus - i.e. if you're not a Christian. Somebody else's TV has nothing to do with that.

If YOU can't watch TV in faith then DON'T.

But don't destroy other people's property.

Upvote 0