Should dating sites be held responsible if some meets an offender on their site?

timothyZ

Defy the herd. It's more fun.
Apr 13, 2011
United States of America
✟8,048.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just wondering what you all think. A lady met a guy on match.com. He ended up being some sort of sex offender and he attacked her. Now she's filing a civil suit against the website, because she feels they should screen people.

What do you think? Should websites be held responsible? If so, where does this stop? Would a message board have to be held accountable if someone met on there? How about a church if two meet in a church?

Here's the news story.

Match.com to screen dating site for sex offenders - Yahoo! News

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is why meeting someone you know online can be a bit scary. But it is not the website's responsiblity to monitor internet users love lives.

Now, I think that dating websites SHOULD offer to conduct background checks and certify you as "safe" but I don't see that happening.

Upvote 0

timothyZ

Defy the herd. It's more fun.
Apr 13, 2011
United States of America
✟8,048.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is why meeting someone you know online can be a bit scary. But it is not the website's responsiblity to monitor internet users love lives.

Now, I think that dating websites SHOULD offer to conduct background checks and certify you as "safe" but I don't see that happening.

It's kinda sad that so many women now days don't have that traditional, protective screening method known as family, dad, big brothers and the like, to kinda weed out and intimidate the bad apples who want to date them.

This lawsuit is probably is the result of the breakdown of the traditional protective cover of family/dad/big brothers.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's kinda sad that so many women now days don't have that traditional, protective screening method known as family, dad, big brothers and the like, to kinda weed out and intimidate the bad apples who want to date them.

This lawsuit is probably is the result of the breakdown of the traditional protective cover of family/dad/big brothers.

No, its not the result of "traditional protective cover".

Its the result of just flat out stupidity.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Are we seriously blaming the victim? Not cool.

I could have been raped on three different occasions if the three CF guys I met (alone) had not been the very good guys that they are. So, I normally despise blaming the victim, but I'm particularly sensitive to it with this topic.

I don't think we can blame dating sites, since there is only so much they can do, but I do think having an option to have someone certified, as Amber suggested, is a good idea.

Upvote 0

SneakerPimp53

Becoming X
Jan 14, 2011
The 'rents' basement
✟15,724.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If you walk down a dark alley at night you may not to be blame for getting mugged, but your own poor choices certain contributed to that happening. If you met guys on the internet and don't follow safety precautions then your own poor choices would contribute to anything that happens.

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

Are we seriously blaming the victim? Not cool.

I could have been raped on three different occasions if the three CF guys I met (alone) had not been the very good guys that they are. So, I normally despise blaming the victim, but I'm particularly sensitive to it with this topic.

I don't think we can blame dating sites, since there is only so much they can do, but I do think having an option to have someone certified, as Amber suggested, is a good idea.

I'd agree it's never a good thing to blame the victim, but when the victim is behind a frivilous lawsuit, it invites a certain degree of negativity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'd agree it's never a good thing to blame the victim, but when the victim is behind a frivilous lawsuit, it invites a certain degree of negativity.

I'm not talking about the lawsuit. I'm talking about the attitude towards a woman who is raped by a man she met online. I find that attitude to be disgusting... as I'm sure people can tell.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's pretty sad when women have to assume that all potential dates (women get raped on dates even if they don't meet online, even if they met through friends) are rapists.

They shouldn't have to assume that, but they definitely should not put their trust in whatever a website may "certify" either. Reasonably safe practices do exist for a reason.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
They shouldn't have to assume that, but they definitely should not put their trust in whatever a website may "certify" either. Reasonably safe practices do exist for a reason.

I deleted that post, but I still want to respond (though I really should get going). I don't think women should rely on a site to make her safe. That's why I said dating sites can only do so much. I just think it's pretty sad, the state of our society.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I deleted that post, but I still want to respond (though I really should get going). I don't think women should rely on a site to make her safe. That's why I said dating sites can only do so much. I just think it's pretty sad, the state of our society.

It is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Dating sites cannot be held responsible.

It is the responsibility of the person to obtain information before agreeing to meet someone. That said, I do not think it is the victim's "fault" if they are abused. It is the fault of the perpetrator and only the perpetrator.

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this women could have been more careful and used better common sense.

You meet a guy, go on a date and then take him home to your apartment? No.

I'm cautious about meeting people I meet online, guys especially. When I met up with ThunderPeel/Austin, one of my brother's went with me. Did I think Austin wasn't legit? No way but when it comes to my safety, extra precaution works in my favor.

She wis not to blame for being raped but she does have to live with the fact that she was assaulted because she was not more careful.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think this women could have been more careful and used better common sense.

You meet a guy, go on a date and then take him home to your apartment? No.

I'm cautious about meeting people I meet online, guys especially. When I met up with ThunderPeel/Austin, one of my brother's went with me. Did I think Austin wasn't legit? No way but when it comes to my safety, extra precaution works in my favor.

She wis not to blame for being raped but she does have to live with the fact that she was assaulted because she was not more careful.

Yep.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Blind post:

No I don't think they should be held responsible. Anyone can lie over the internet, it's not IMO possible to screen everyone signing up and take their word they're who they say they are so if someone, heaven forbids lies about who they are, that's not the websites problem.

Upvote 0