Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians go to the Beach?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Everlasting33, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannager

Dannager Back in Town

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I just spent about a minute and a half reading your avatar. It's mesmerizing.

2. Chie

Chie A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    This depends on the person same as in anything we do in our life. If it causes someone to sin, then it is best for them not to do it, but that don't mean it effects all like that and its a bad thing.
    But even at this, we know what offends us, but we are to know what offends our brother as well, just out of respect for one another is part of being a christian. It don't mean he is right and your wrong or vise-a-verse-a.
    (why would this be addressed just to men, women are just as bad as men)

3. TheLark

TheLark New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian
    Just to spark a bit more discussion... Would the anwser be different for any of you if it were a topless beach? Just curious... I grew up mostly living in Europe as a missionary kid and we couldn't go anywhere with water without naked or half naked women not to mention the speedos everywhere. It bugged our whole family quite a bit, not being able to have fully family friendly beaches.

4. Writer before God

Writer before God Humbled before my king

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Baptist
    your avatar is mesmerizing

5. britlady

britlady Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    I think the TheLark is in danger of opening up an old debate which usually divides on cultural lines between the US and Europe. To me, living in Europe, a topless beach IS a family-friendly beach.

6. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer

Faith:
    Atheist
    I have a friend (a she) who grew up in Bosnia and is now a naturalized US citizen.

They had an interesting code of conduct WRT the beach. If you (a girl) were going with your girlfriends to the beach, you may all go topless or whatever. If you ran into guy friends, this would be okay. However, if your outing included guys that were going with you, then all the girls would wear their tops. I never queried her for an explanation, but I'd guess that it was about signalling your intentions. If you ran across someone while topless, nothing was expected. If you came with a boy topless, well then!

For me, its "when in Rome". If you're uncomfortable as a guy, don't go. If you're uncomfortable as a girl, then by all means, wear your top.

I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with toplessness. It's cultural. In the USA, in general, we have a thing about it. In general, we observe norms. Therefore I don't recommend that Christians ride the cutting edge of cultural norms.

7. Naomi4Christ

Naomi4Christ not a nutter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Only if they want to :)

8. dayhiker

dayhiker Mature veteran

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    I agree with the topless beach thing is a cultural thing. I don't see anything inheriently wrong with being topless or seeing another person topless.

Each person should know themselves and what will cause them problems or temptations.

Since the superbowl is coming up, I'll illustate my personal view wth the Janet Jackson ward robe malfunction. I was watching the half time show. As I was listing to the song sung, I was upset with the message of that song in the way it spoke of women being treated. When her breast was exposed, that didn't bother me at all. Then I read about the reaction of Christians. They were upset about the breast, God's creation. While the words of disrespect to woman were hardly comdemned at all. To me we have this all backwards.

dayhiker

9. SallyNow

SallyNow Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    They were fully family friendly beaches. However, those families had learned to seperate nudity from sex... they could understand that the human body isn't just a sexual toy. They look at a person, clothed or nude, and see a person.

Exactly! The issue isn't so much the amount of skin showing, but the attitude. A bunch of people in the water doing Aquasice classes in bathing suits and with waterwings on isn't sexy... but those same people, fully clothed, but posing and acting in a sexual manner, is sexual.

Naomi4Christ likes this.
  10. mooduck1

mooduck1 Senior Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    I guess this would be a personal rather than universal issue. If seeing hunky men in speedos or Beautiful women in thongs leads you to sin then you shouldn't go to the beach..But remember that nudity is not evil. God made Man and Woman (and he made them naked) and they were Good. Rememeber that the only reason you look at a man on the beahc lustfully (if you do) is because of origianl sin, NOT nudity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.