A wise King finds happiness in acts of mercy
Aug 13, 2006
Texas
✟17,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Especially for Christian men, is the beach really a good enviornment to be in?

Isn't it best to avoid the temptation???

What are your thoughts on this?:confused:

( I didn't get much of a response in the women's discussion).
This depends on the person same as in anything we do in our life. If it causes someone to sin, then it is best for them not to do it, but that don't mean it effects all like that and its a bad thing.
But even at this, we know what offends us, but we are to know what offends our brother as well, just out of respect for one another is part of being a christian. It don't mean he is right and your wrong or vise-a-verse-a.
(why would this be addressed just to men, women are just as bad as men)

Upvote 0

TheLark

Jan 26, 2007
✟7,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just to spark a bit more discussion... Would the anwser be different for any of you if it were a topless beach? Just curious... I grew up mostly living in Europe as a missionary kid and we couldn't go anywhere with water without naked or half naked women not to mention the speedos everywhere. It bugged our whole family quite a bit, not being able to have fully family friendly beaches.

Upvote 0

britlady

Dec 8, 2006
✟7,616.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just to spark a bit more discussion... Would the anwser be different for any of you if it were a topless beach? Just curious... I grew up mostly living in Europe as a missionary kid and we couldn't go anywhere with water without naked or half naked women not to mention the speedos everywhere. It bugged our whole family quite a bit, not being able to have fully family friendly beaches.
I think the TheLark is in danger of opening up an old debate which usually divides on cultural lines between the US and Europe. To me, living in Europe, a topless beach IS a family-friendly beach.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟929,465.00
Faith
Atheist
I have a friend (a she) who grew up in Bosnia and is now a naturalized US citizen.

They had an interesting code of conduct WRT the beach. If you (a girl) were going with your girlfriends to the beach, you may all go topless or whatever. If you ran into guy friends, this would be okay. However, if your outing included guys that were going with you, then all the girls would wear their tops. I never queried her for an explanation, but I'd guess that it was about signalling your intentions. If you ran across someone while topless, nothing was expected. If you came with a boy topless, well then!

For me, its "when in Rome". If you're uncomfortable as a guy, don't go. If you're uncomfortable as a girl, then by all means, wear your top.

I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with toplessness. It's cultural. In the USA, in general, we have a thing about it. In general, we observe norms. Therefore I don't recommend that Christians ride the cutting edge of cultural norms.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

Only if they want to :)

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the topless beach thing is a cultural thing. I don't see anything inheriently wrong with being topless or seeing another person topless.

Each person should know themselves and what will cause them problems or temptations.

Since the superbowl is coming up, I'll illustate my personal view wth the Janet Jackson ward robe malfunction. I was watching the half time show. As I was listing to the song sung, I was upset with the message of that song in the way it spoke of women being treated. When her breast was exposed, that didn't bother me at all. Then I read about the reaction of Christians. They were upset about the breast, God's creation. While the words of disrespect to woman were hardly comdemned at all. To me we have this all backwards.

dayhiker

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

They were fully family friendly beaches. However, those families had learned to seperate nudity from sex... they could understand that the human body isn't just a sexual toy. They look at a person, clothed or nude, and see a person.

dayhiker said:
Since the superbowl is coming up, I'll illustate my personal view wth the Janet Jackson ward robe malfunction. I was watching the half time show. As I was listing to the song sung, I was upset with the message of that song in the way it spoke of women being treated. When her breast was exposed, that didn't bother me at all. Then I read about the reaction of Christians. They were upset about the breast, God's creation. While the words of disrespect to woman were hardly comdemned at all. To me we have this all backwards.

Exactly! The issue isn't so much the amount of skin showing, but the attitude. A bunch of people in the water doing Aquasice classes in bathing suits and with waterwings on isn't sexy... but those same people, fully clothed, but posing and acting in a sexual manner, is sexual.

Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0

mooduck1

Dec 7, 2006
✟16,270.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I guess this would be a personal rather than universal issue. If seeing hunky men in speedos or Beautiful women in thongs leads you to sin then you shouldn't go to the beach..But remember that nudity is not evil. God made Man and Woman (and he made them naked) and they were Good. Rememeber that the only reason you look at a man on the beahc lustfully (if you do) is because of origianl sin, NOT nudity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.