Should Christians boycott Mozilla over firing of CEO?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But sad fact of life, you have to deal with the social consequences, go around saying you want to join the North American Man-Boy Love assiocation? Talk indepth about your love of causing other people pain and suffering? Say you want to deny people rights? You're going to lose friends and respect... if you don't have that, chances are your career is going to suffer also, along with other aspects of your life

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman isn't taking away anyone's rights. Firing someone who believes that, and supporting those who fire someone who believes that for that reason, is bigotry.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Bible is many things, but its not a supporter of Democracy- that's not to say the Bibles 'against' it, but no where in the Bible is Democracy found or encouraged as a system of goverment followers of Jesus Christ should work towards.

Since America is founded on Democracy; it therefore can't be based on Biblical principles.

The nation was based on the Biblical truth that man is created in the image of God and therefore deserves dignity, but that he also is a sinner who cannot be fully trusted. Thus we have both the Bill of Rights and limited enumerated powers with checks and balances. The Founders were VERY concerned that government would become too powerful.

Contrast that with the disastrous French Revolution a few years later, which denied man's sin nature and attempted to perfect man's existence on earth through government power. The result was a reign of terror that destroyed everyone's rights wholesale, leading to the dictatorship of Napoleon, which in turn plunged Europe into war.

Once the basic building block - the family - is destroyed, we can only expect the same.

Upvote 0
P

Profane

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman isn't taking away anyone's rights.
Of coarse its not, if you can ignore the fact that homosexual couples want to get married as well and that defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman takes away their ability to marry.

If you can do that, you're most likely a far happier man then I ever will be, because by that reasoning there should be very little real bigotry, discrimation or racisim in the world in your eye's. After all, what was the Armenian holocaust if not a simple attempt by the Turkish goverment to define an Armenian as someone that diden't deserve human rights?

Your standing on the shoulders of racists that existed in great numbers half a century ago and using their arguements, its not unlike reading Noah's Curse and replacing the word 'negro's' with the word 'homosexuals'. You'd think it might disturb Christians that are against gay marriage that the KKK and Neo-Nazi groups are counted amongst their strongest supporters.

Firing someone who believes that, and supporting those who fire someone who believes that for that reason, is bigotry.
As I've said many, many times before, freedom of speech and freedom of belief doesen't mean freedom from consequences, he should of stopped and thought about what indulging in bigotry against fellow Americans might of done to his reptuation before donating money.

People diden't want a bigot representing their company; can't say I blame them. If they start a mass firing of everyone that holds Christian beliefs, get back to me on that, then it might be considered bigotry against Christians for their beliefs.

The nation was based on the Biblical truth that man is created in the image of God and therefore deserves dignity
The nation was founded on Democracy, a concept that isen't attached to Christanity and was invented by people who had no contact with Christian beliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People didn't want a bigot representing their company; can't say I blame them. If they start a mass firing of everyone that holds Christian beliefs, get back to me on that, then it might be considered bigotry against Christians for their beliefs.

So, a bigot is one person doing something you disagree with correct?

So do you consider Sam Yagan a bigot?

And, bigotry "might" be where a lot of people lose their jobs over what they believe in?

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Democracy reflects the electorate, and is only as good as the majority - half the electorate plus one. Given the civics and moral quotient of the electorate these days, many thoughtful people believe we are in big trouble. Thankfully we are not a pure democracy, but whatever structural advantage we once had is rapidly eroding. "When the foundations are destroyed, what will the righteous do?"

Interesting that the CEO of the very dating site that precipitated this mess, himself contributed to a markedly "anti-gay" politician not so long ago.

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
18 If the world hates you, be sure that it hated me before it learned to hate you. 19 If you belonged to the world, the world would know you for its own and love you; it is because you do not belong to the world, because I have singled you out from the midst of the world, that the world hates you. 20 Do not forget what I said to you, No servant can be greater than his master. They will persecute you just as they have persecuted me; they will pay the same attention to your words as to mine.[2] 21 And they will treat you thus because you bear my name; they have no knowledge of him who sent me. 22 If I had not come and given them my message, they would not have been in fault; as it is, their fault can find no excuse. 23 To hate me is to hate my Father too. 24 If I had not done what no one else ever did in their midst they would not have been in fault; as it is, they have hated, with open eyes, both me and my Father. 25 And all this, in fulfilment of the saying which is written in their law, They hated me without cause.[3] 26 Well, when the truth-giving Spirit, who proceeds from the Father, has come to befriend you, he whom I will send to you from the Father’s side, he will bear witness of what I was; 27 and you too are to be my witnesses, you who from the first have been in my company.

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the civics and moral quotient of the electorate these days, many thoughtful people believe we are in big trouble.

Yeah, don't thinks it's the end of the world as such be we maybe in a final phase of this cycle of society. We have seen it happen in history before with the Romans and the Greeks. We wont be any different.

Interesting that the CEO of the very dating site that precipitated this mess, himself contributed to a markedly "anti-gay" politician not so long ago.

He seems to have gone to ground as the press get no replies from him. Wonder if the gay community and web developers will now decline to use/build websites that use Javascript (Brendan Eichs creation). My guess is that they won't.

I also wonder if the 2 gay developers, Rarebit founders Hampton and Michael Catlin who wanted an apology from Brendan Eich plus a denouncement of his donations, will now ask Sam Yagan of OKCupid for the same apology. Again I bet the answer is no but, I urge you people to contact these two and ask them either via twitter or email. Admittedly, the Catlin's may not be doing business with OKCupid but I think OKCupid have basically committed the same crime as Mozilla so surely as gays with strong principles, they would be feeling victimised by both parties?

I see the level of dissatisfaction on the feedback page for Firefox is still at an all time high and still climbing, currently at 93%. I think people at Mozilla are currently hoping for a miracle - hmmm, now there's irony...

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Of coarse its not, if you can ignore the fact that homosexual couples want to get married as well and that defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman takes away their ability to marry.

If you can do that, you're most likely a far happier man then I ever will be, because by that reasoning there should be very little real bigotry, discrimation or racisim in the world in your eye's. After all, what was the Armenian holocaust if not a simple attempt by the Turkish goverment to define an Armenian as someone that diden't deserve human rights?
When Californians start forcing gays into the Mojave with no provisions and nothing more than what they can carry, and deliberately keeping them away from civilization, your comparison will start to make sense. That's not on the agenda, so you'll be waiting a long time for that.

Could gays shack up and adopt kids before they started with the ceremonies in San Francisco? Yes. Everything else contractually speaking could be done without redefining marriage to include gay unions.

Your standing on the shoulders of racists that existed in great numbers half a century ago and using their arguements, its not unlike reading Noah's Curse and replacing the word 'negro's' with the word 'homosexuals'. You'd think it might disturb Christians that are against gay marriage that the KKK and Neo-Nazi groups are counted amongst their strongest supporters.
More like, "a broken clock is right twice a day." If these groups happen to believe that marriage is between one man and one woman, then they agree with me - and many blacks, and many Jews, whom they hate and have persecuted. I don't know if you voted for Obama, but if you did, then this would be like me calling you a black supremacist because the New Black Panthers supported him.

As I've said many, many times before, freedom of speech and freedom of belief doesen't mean freedom from consequences, he should of stopped and thought about what indulging in bigotry against fellow Americans might of done to his reptuation before donating money.
Perhaps he had a reasonable expectation of privacy, or at least not being forced out of his job for making a small donation. Perhaps he wasn't counting on being treated with bigotry.

People diden't want a bigot representing their company; can't say I blame them. If they start a mass firing of everyone that holds Christian beliefs, get back to me on that, then it might be considered bigotry against Christians for their beliefs.
Well, it is certainly bigotry against him. If something like that happened at my workplace, I'd be scared. I would be until one of my supers, in full knowledge that I'm a practicing conservative Christian, said, "You're fine."

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just saw this via the Mozilla planet blog,

A curse and a blessing | Il y a du thé renversé au bord de la table

In the comments for this blog post appears to be a reply by Brendan Eich,

BrendanEich (@BrendanEich)
April 8, 2014 at 4:37 pm
David, can you please stop running all over the blogosphere writing things you do not know to be true?

No one tried to convince me to stay as CEO. My previous position was not just CTO, it was also SVP Engineering — a position eliminated in a reorg I had just done.

What “key position” am I “active” in now, pray tell?

Best to stick to what you know to be true.

/be

Well that spells it out from what I can see.

Upvote 0

paul1149

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's an interesting interchange. It continues with the original author repeatedly having to admit the facts, but trying to maintain the spin. The more I read the comments and his replies, the more I concluded that Mozilla really is an ethical mess.

This gem from the blog post stepped out at me:

We are being criticized by some of the people who need us most.

As I see it, he's got that exactly backwards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's an interesting interchange. It continues with the original author repeatedly having to admit the facts, but trying to maintain the spin. The more I read the comments and his replies, the more I concluded that Mozilla really is an ethical mess.

This gem from the blog post stepped out at me:

We are being criticized by some of the people who need us most.

As I see it, he's got that exactly backwards.

That's why it is easier to keep one's story straight if they just tell the truth, instead of trying to use a dryer's spin cycle.

Upvote 0
B

boogalaboogala

I really think this is a sad reflection of todays world,

Brendan Eich resigns as Mozilla CEO after anti-gay flapÂ[bless and do not curse] - NY Daily News

What do u guys think and should a boycott against Mozilla (Firefox/Thunderbird mainly) take place?

i use mozilla.. i agree that he should not have been let go..
but, i too have been pondering the thought.. keep me posted as to your decision.. i have never been a leader.. but. i am willing to follow the choices of others when it comes to solid reasons like this one..

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i use mozilla.. i agree that he should not have been let go..
but, i too have been pondering the thought.. keep me posted as to your decision.. i have never been a leader.. but. i am willing to follow the choices of others when it comes to solid reasons like this one..

As this is really about freedom to speak and think openly I would urge you to make your own mind up about it from what you've read and seen.

I have no doubt these events have contributed to the tech stocks losing 20-30% of their value in the stock markets over the last week or so.

Upvote 0