• Total voters

netzone23

May 4, 2009
✟9,443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many churches have crosses outside or inside there church. Millions of people wear cross necklace and even earrings. I've been doing research on the cross and I found out its roots are very pagan. Jesus died a horrible death on the cross and by wearing the cross does that show disrespect to Jesus? I believe it shows disrespect because its the weapon they used to kill Jesus. By Jesus dying on the cross our sins weren't forgiven by the cross but by his death and resurrection. If Jesus hadn't been resurrected he just would have been another man who had died by the cross. So by wearing a cross you show what was used to kill Jesus. If christians want to wear something have it be a empty tomb! I believe Jesus' resurrection is more important than his death!

Think about this if you had a family member killed by a gun and to remember the person everyone in the community got a necklace with a bullet attached to it to remember that person. That would be messed up.

The cross is a symbol of death the romans used it to kill tons of people! So its a weapon of death that some Christians choose to wear around there neck..etc

And don't forget about the third commandment
Exodus 20:4-6
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

When I went to church I see some people who wear a cross necklace hold the cross part in there hands when they pray.
When you wear a cross your remembering his death and not his resurrection. Plus its been used in pagan worship for thousands of years! When you wear a cross your wearing a weapon of death and an idol thats been worshiped by pagans.
Would Jesus be okay with you wearing a cross?

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many churches have crosses outside or inside there church. Millions of people wear cross necklace and even earrings. I've been doing research on the cross and I found out its roots are very pagan. Jesus died a horrible death on the cross and by wearing the cross does that show disrespect to Jesus? I believe it shows disrespect because its the weapon they used to kill Jesus. By Jesus dying on the cross our sins weren't forgiven by the cross but by his death and resurrection. If Jesus hadn't been resurrected he just would have been another man who had died by the cross. So by wearing a cross you show what was used to kill Jesus.

Therein lies the difference between us: You believe the cross is just "the weapon they used to kill Jesus" while we believe it is the place where God reached out to man and the means God used to atone for our sin and by which we are reconciled to God.

The cross isn't man's "weapon". It is God's remedy.

"For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." - 1 Cor 1:18

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many churches have crosses outside or inside there church. Millions of people wear cross necklace and even earrings. I've been doing research on the cross and I found out its roots are very pagan. Jesus died a horrible death on the cross and by wearing the cross does that show disrespect to Jesus? I believe it shows disrespect because its the weapon they used to kill Jesus. By Jesus dying on the cross our sins weren't forgiven by the cross but by his death and resurrection. If Jesus hadn't been resurrected he just would have been another man who had died by the cross. So by wearing a cross you show what was used to kill Jesus. If christians want to wear something have it be a empty tomb! I believe Jesus' resurrection is more important than his death!

Of course, the resurrection couldn't have happened without the cross, so they seem to be equally important as any cause/effect relationship. There are many verses that would support the importance of the cross, such as:

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

so we could just as easily see the cross as the weapon used to "destroy death" and thus give "hope" in the resurrection.

Plus its been used in pagan worship for thousands of years!

You realize pagans have pretty much worshipped everything at one time or another? But Christians are wearing it because of the suffering of Christ which reconciled and justified (which took place by means of a Roman execution device which pagans probably didn't worship): Romans 5:9-10, Colossians 1:20.

I believe so, yes. Jesus cares about the state of your heart, and love of others. Not about what objects are in your pocket.

• Winner
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

netzone23

May 4, 2009
✟9,443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whatever necklace Jesus wore, I'm sure the bible tells us what necklace he wore. If Jesus didn't wear a necklace then the necklace Paul, Peter, John, Luke...etc whatever necklace they used to be identified as christians. I'm sure the bible tells us the symbol they would wear.

I don't think christians should have a symbol to be identified as. If Jesus wanted us to wear a symbol so we can be identified as christians he would have told us what symbol to use.

You could get a necklace that says Saved, Forgiven, a symbol of a empty tomb with a large rock rolled to the side, I'm a Christian, repent and forgiveness..etc Those are some suggestions christians could use instead of a cross but then again I believe we shouldn't be wearing any type of symbol.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Think about this if you had a family member killed by a gun and to remember the person everyone in the community got a necklace with a bullet attached to it to remember that person. That would be messed up.

The cross is a symbol of death the romans used it to kill tons of people! So its a weapon of death that some Christians choose to wear around there neck..etc

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

When I went to church I see some people who wear a cross necklace hold the cross part in there hands when they pray.
When you wear a cross your remembering his death and not his resurrection. Plus its been used in pagan worship for thousands of years! When you wear a cross your wearing a weapon of death and an idol thats been worshiped by pagans.

For me it's clear when it comes to not holding a cross in prayer or something or praying to a statue... to me that's just... i'll leave that alone though.

The rosaries with JESUS on them they in their own way ignore or dismiss the resurrection. They bind JESUS to the cross.

But I believe when it comes towards a cross on a church that's different though but it's the most hardest of the 3 prob to talk about. It's kind of like a painting of JESUS or something it just symbolizes something, it also is utilized to just inform people...hey this is a church.

But if you apply extra meaning towards that materialistic thing or whatever or use a materialistic thing to fight demons or pray or something of that nature then that's when it becomes wrong. But if you have a building... and you put a painting of the 12 disciples or something in it then that's just yeah. But if I start utilizing that painting to reach God or something then uh that's something else.

2 Corinthians 10:4

“(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If christians want to wear something have it be a empty tomb!
I can't, all the empty tomb necklaces are on back order. :/ Let's just say I'm glad He wasn't executed with an electric chair. Wearing one of those around my neck would be really unwieldy.

I believe Jesus' resurrection is more important than his death!
Why is that?

• Haha
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

netzone23

May 4, 2009
✟9,443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't, all the empty tomb necklaces are on back order. :/ Let's just say I'm glad He wasn't executed with an electric chair. Wearing one of those around my neck would be really unwieldy.

Why is that?

if Jesus hadn't been resurrected we wouldn't be having a conversation on the message boards and christians wouldn't have existed.

1 Corinthians 15:20-23 NKJV
20 But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who are Christ’s at His coming.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clearly the cross itself was of major importance to the disciples. A symbol to remind us is not the same as idolatry.

1 Corinthians 1:18

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Galatians 6:14
May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Galatians 6:12
Those who want to impress others by means of the flesh are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ.

Ephesians 2:16
And in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility

Reactions: Fitopia46
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes, I wonder this too, is it idolatry to wear a cross as a necklace? I don't think so, but there are passages in the Bible that speak about using beads and such to pray. I look at the cross as a symbol of God's love for humankind.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
if Jesus hadn't been resurrected we wouldn't be having a conversation on the message boards and christians wouldn't have existed.
If He hadn't been crucified, He wouldn't have needed to come back from the dead in the first place. By His wounds, we are healed. Our redemption comes from His sacrifice on the cross. The resurrection is evidence of His victory over sin and death.

Sometimes, I wonder this too, is it idolatry to wear a cross as a necklace?
I suppose it depends. Do you worship cross necklaces?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the cross is a great expression of our faith if it is understood for being the offensive thing that it stands for.
After all we are invited to follow the example of Christ in his death and resurrection, wearing a cross should be a sign that reminds ourselves and others that as disciples of Christ we are to lay down our lives for one another to an in excruciating degree. I am proud to wear a cross on my back and hope that I live up to the meaning of the symbol.

a2%20patch%20s.gif

Cross.gif

Welcome to Peacemakers New Zealand

There is a precedence for the crucifix symbol in the book of Numbers, hidden in the order that Gods people marched in the desert: The Lord said to Moses and Aaron: “The Israelites are to camp around the tent of meeting some distance from it, each of them under their standard and holding the banners of their family.”.....On the east, toward the sunrise, the divisions of the camp of Judah are to encamp under their standard......On the south will be the divisions of the camp of Reuben under their standard.......On the west will be the divisions of the camp of Ephraim under their standard..........On the north will be the divisions of the camp of Dan under their standard.(Numbers 2)
upload_2017-1-12_9-6-47.gif

...and the bronze serpent on the pole is also a prophetic symbol of the same thing: Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.” (John 3)

Nevertheless the crucifix has been taken in vain by many and so perhaps it has lost some of its power as a statement of faith. A member of my family wears a Celtic cross precisely as a pagan symbol in protest of Christian religion.

My thought is that whatever we choose to wear publically, that it identifies us as belonging to or identifying with a certain reality and that in terms of Christ we should not be afraid to be bold and out there enough so that people walking down the street can see who we are.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is what happens when you eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.......you start seeing bad in everything. Why can't we learn to go back to being naked and not ashamed. There is nothing wrong with wearing anything you want to wear......unless you know it offends your brother.....e.g. Your brother is eating the fruit.

Other than that, we should try to be like Jesus and see no fault.

Is the fruit that good? Except we can become like little children....be naked and not ashamed....we can not enter the kingdom of heaven. So take off your clothes and follow ME.......Uh I mean....pick up your cross.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is what happens when you eat from the tree of the knowledge of God and evil.......you start seeing bad in everything. Why can't we learn to go back to being naked and not ashamed. There is nothing wrong with wearing anything you want to wear......unless you know it offends your brother.....e.g. Your brother it's eating that fruit.

Other than that, we should try to be life Jesus and see no fault.

Is the fruit that good? Except we can become like little children....be named and not ashamed....we can not enter the kingdom of heaven. So take off your clothes and follow ME.......Uh I mean....pick up your cross.

Not sure if your post is a joke or it's making a point haha. Read it and i'm just like what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

netzone23

May 4, 2009
✟9,443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everyone makes a very good point.
the bronze serpent was used to save people who had been bit by the snakes because the sinned. Why didn't God use that as a official symbol for both Israel and Christians?
God used the bronze serpent to save people and many many years later they began worshiping it. If Jesus wanted us to use the cross as an official symbol you think he would have made sure it was said so in the bible. Maybe there is a reason why the Christian were never given an official symbol from Jesus.

I worked with a new age/witch who wore a cross mainly for the pagan side of it plus he liked the teaching of Jesus. He told me that Jesus was a man and died and has not been resurrected and is very dead but he likes some of the teachings of Jesus. This is one reason why I started doing research into the cross.

I'm not saying people who wear a cross is sinning or God is mad at them for wearing it. Maybe we should rethink about using it as an official symbol since it has never been officially endorsed by God. I'm still doing research into the cross maybe something someone posts will change my mind...I don't know time will tell.

2 Kings 18:4
4 He removed the high places and broke the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden and broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan. 5 He trusted in the Lord God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor who were before him.
My question now is would Jesus be okay with us using the cross?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure if your post is a joke or it's making a point haha. Read it and i'm just like what?
Sometimes the truth comes across better in humor. The way to life is enjoyable and abundant.......doesn't always have to be doom and gloom, sack clothe and ashes.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh I see, the typos could have made it confusing...they have been corrected......I'm referencing the garden which I don't take as history...

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0