TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I voted yes. It's high time that Australia stopped playing colonies and started to face up to the reality that we are an independent nation capable of creating our own destiny.
Can you explain to me how this is not happening now because we aren't a republic? Also can you comment on what I said in post #2 about how the queen doesn't do anything other than rubber stamp a decision made by the PM and even then it is only one decision (who becomes GG). To even suggest Australia is playing colonies sounds silly to me. How are we doing that? How does it affect our lives and How will spending millions upon millions of dollars to become a republic change things?

As for your comment about it means it will recognise we have our own independant history and that we have forged our own identity through struggles I was taught that at school and that was twenty years ago when there was alot more support for the monarchy!

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I feel we should become a republic so as to fix up the political system. I feel that the current representation is not right. People should have the option of not voting - it will force the parties to fight for the votes and delivery on promises instead of just swaying the biggest amount of voters who are forced to vote and who really don't care.

Yes that won't be a perfect system, you can argue both ways, saying that the parties will just work for the people that will just vote for them but I like it a lot better than the one we have now.

Upvote 0

Nooj

Senior Veteran
Jan 9, 2005
Sydney
✟19,215.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
AU-Greens
Can you explain to me how this is not happening now because we aren't a republic? Also can you comment on what I said in post #2 about how the queen doesn't do anything other than rubber stamp a decision made by the PM and even then it is only one decision (who becomes GG). To even suggest Australia is playing colonies sounds silly to me. How are we doing that? How does it affect our lives and How will spending millions upon millions of dollars to become a republic change things?
So if the Queen doesn't do anything, then why have her? What's so good about a constitutional monarchy?

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So if the Queen doesn't do anything, then why have her? What's so good about a constitutional monarchy?

1. retaining and remaining in a history that's rapidly swept away by modernism?
2. so we can call for help from Britain if we ever need it?
3. turn a blind-eye to Australia's struggle for an identity of its own?
4 Anglo-superiority for certain?

oh, I voted yes by the way.

But! it does sound terribly dreadful to have a president, at least right now, we know the Prime Minister doesn't (though not in reality) hold power like Bush in America:
simpletrust said:
I voted no, because it's not like there's anything wrong with being a republic. It's good to have a head of state who's not going to be swayed by party politics.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Providing a Republic is based on a workable system were the people are heard, there is nothing wrong with a Republic. I just cant imagine politicians releasing there controll

Says Monarchist ^_^

Sorry, just struck me as funny :p

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel we should become a republic so as to fix up the political system. I feel that the current representation is not right. People should have the option of not voting - it will force the parties to fight for the votes and delivery on promises instead of just swaying the biggest amount of voters who are forced to vote and who really don't care.

Yes that won't be a perfect system, you can argue both ways, saying that the parties will just work for the people that will just vote for them but I like it a lot better than the one we have now.

I could not disagree more with you.

Do you want to forego the right to vote? By banning compulsory voting I think it's opening the door to go back in history, what's next saying that women and anyone other than white can vote.

I don't want to go to an American type of system where people don't HAVE to vote. I think compulsory voting is important to maintain the right by everyone to vote.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
That depends on the model of republic being proposed. Being asked to vote for or against "a republic" without the detail is absurd.

us becomming a republic = us becomming more like america = bad
America is not the only model. America is a model with a very strong president. Ireland (for instance) has a president who is purely a figurehead like the current G.G.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
That depends on the model of republic being proposed. Being asked to vote for or against "a republic" without the detail is absurd.

America is not the only model. America is a model with a very strong president. Ireland (for instance) has a president who is purely a figurehead like the current G.G.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I could not disagree more with you.

Do you want to forego the right to vote? By banning compulsory voting I think it's opening the door to go back in history, what's next saying that women and anyone other than white can vote.

I don't want to go to an American type of system where people don't HAVE to vote. I think compulsory voting is important to maintain the right by everyone to vote.
Why does everyone assume that if America does X then America is the only model of doing X? Australia is extremely unusual in having compulsory voting - most of the world's democracies don't, including most European countries. Belgium I believe does have compulsory voting, and much good it does them. The reality is that it makes very little difference either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

None of that has anything to do with being a republic vs constitutional monarchy.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
??? The history you are hanging on to is a modernist one, if anything being swept away by post-modernism. The current set-up is just as modernist as a republic.

You think Britain gives a stuff whether Australia turns republic or not?

?

?
No more certain in a republic than constitutional monarchy.

oh, I voted yes by the way.

But! it does sound terribly dreadful to have a president, at least right now, we know the Prime Minister doesn't (though not in reality) hold power like Bush in America:
Republics do not have to invest power in their president. America is not the world's best example of a republic, and only a moron would foist that version on Australia.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tell you what ask this question again when you answer my other comment about me not being able to see the benefits outweighing the cost of changing. The cost of changing would be massive. Then we can say we now have a president instead of a GG. Wow what a difference that is going to make in our lives. I'm sure that will go a long way towards eradicating poverty and providing equal opportunity for all and solving problems facing aboriginal communities.

I am mainly responding to people who are suggesting the queen interferes with politics here. I was simply pointing out how wrong they are.

if you really want an answer now to your question then my answer would be whats so good about the alternative that we should spend millions upon millions of dollars changing the system?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you provide evidence of how this is happening because we are a constitutional monarchy and how being a republic will change that. I see evidence of this sweeping away you mention but it has nothing to do with being a monarchy or government.

Which is why we have already aligned ourselves with the US???? Australia realised long ago they couldn't rely on UK for help. That is why the decision was first made during world war 2 to rely on the US and the decision has been reinforced several times. Of course the way world politics works these days it would make no difference if we were monarchy or republic.

I see no evidence of us having trouble identifying ourselves as seperate to the UK. Are you able to provide some. Even with the governments recent citzinship test questions are asked about the ANZAC spirit. It is from things like that that we get our identity. It is also from our sporting teams that we get our identity (although to a lesser degree).

ou think changing a title from constitutional monarchy to republic is going to change racism? I think your kidding yourself. Those things don't change because of laws. You need to change peoples thinking.

I wonder why people always want to compare things to the american style of republic. There are plenty of other styles which people probably wouldn't want.

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals

I know it is off topic, but Australia DOES NOT have compulsory voting. We have compulsory attendance on voting day, but thats it. Once you are there you can scribble on your ballot paper,draw a rude picture or just put a blank ballot in the box. No one can force you to put a number or a tick in any of the of the boxes.

Blessings
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Why is that bad?

I voted undecided. I am a strong supporter of Republics, however; I respect the rights of other countries to make their own decisions.

Upvote 0