Should a Christian love God or fear God?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Often, the phrase "God-fearing Christians" are used to describe certain Christians who fear God, and this phrase is actually a good thing. Yet, Christians are told to love God. Based on terminology alone, love and fear are opposites.

Example: Hydrophilic, lipophobic molecules are polar. Hydrophobic, lipophilic molecules are nonpolar. Homophilia is love of sameness. Homophobia is fear of sameness; however, it has been used interchangeably with homoerotophobia, which means the fear of homosexuals, which is more than just a fear, but also includes discrimination against sexual minorities.

Perhaps, love of God would be "theophilia" and fear or hatred of God would be "theophobia"? If that is the case, then how is it possible to be theophilic and theophobic at the same time? Compare a Christian to an amphipathic transmembrane protein?

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Often, the phrase "God-fearing Christians" are used to describe certain Christians who fear God, and this phrase is actually a good thing. Yet, Christians are told to love God. Based on terminology alone, love and fear are opposites.

Example: Hydrophilic, lipophobic molecules are polar. Hydrophobic, lipophilic molecules are nonpolar. Homophilia is love of sameness. Homophobia is fear of sameness; however, it has been used interchangeably with homoerotophobia, which means the fear of homosexuals, which is more than just a fear, but also includes discrimination against sexual minorities.

Perhaps, love of God would be "theophilia" and fear or hatred of God would be "theophobia"? If that is the case, then how is it possible to be theophilic and theophobic at the same time? Compare a Christian to an amphipathic transmembrane protein?

Perhapse the word that is translated into the english word 'Love' does not mean what you think it means. -or- Perhapse the word your having trouble with is the word they translated into the english word 'fear.' this is the most logical conclusion as your explainations of the to passages seems to overly rely on the literal popular english interperations of these words. rather than the intended meaning of the Orginal Hebrew and Greek passages.

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found that better recognizing and understanding my natural bent toward a "fear of man", it became clear what it means to fear God.

Fear of man - a concern for what other people think of you, how they'll react to you, and whether they will be pleased with you.

Fear of God- a concern for what God thinks of you, how he'll react to you, and whether he will be pleased with you.

So, as my love for God grows, my fear of God grows, i.e. my concern with his opinion of me grows. Exact same dynamic shows up in our relationships with the people we love.

Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

americanvet

Saved Sinner
Jun 15, 2012
The White Couch of Pristinia
✟20,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A bad example....but.

For those of you with parents. You ever thought you might disappoint them or done something they would not like. If your said yes, then the opening question should make sense. If you said no then I can't explain it to you.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is both love and fear. Fear in this sense means respect. Respect Him, but do not be afraid to talk to Him, just like a good Earthly father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brevis

Onwards and upwards!
Oct 26, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fear of the Lord the
is in the Old Testament used as a designation of true piety (Prov 1: 7 Job 28: 28; Ps 19: 9. It is a fear conjoined with love and hope, and is therefore not a slavish dread, but rather filial reverence. (Comp. Deut 32: 6 Hos 11: 1 Isa 1: 2 63: 16; 64: 8) God is called "the Fear of Isaac" (Gen 31: 42, 53), i. e., the God whom Isaac feared.
A holy fear is enjoined also in the New Testament as a preventive of carelessness in religion, and as an incentive to penitence (Matt 10: 28; 2 Cor 5: 11; 7: 1 Phil 2: 12; Eph 5: 21; Heb 12: 28, 29).

Easton Dictionary of the Bible

Upvote 0

ForceofTime

Type, Pray, Edit, Repeat...
Feb 28, 2011
✟8,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I know next to nothing about chemistry, but a cursory investigation leads me to one conclusion: soap.

Following this line of thinking leads to a Christian having a the hydrocarbon chain (flesh?) which is hydrophobic with an oxygen head (Christ, Holy Spirit?) which is hydrophilic.

Upvote 0

Hospes

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟48,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Dazzling! Such big words!

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I know next to nothing about chemistry, but a cursory investigation leads me to one conclusion: soap.

Following this line of thinking leads to a Christian having a the hydrocarbon chain (flesh?) which is hydrophobic with an oxygen head (Christ, Holy Spirit?) which is hydrophilic.

Huh?

Oxygen is lipophilic or hydrophobic. Where did you get the "hydrophobic" oxygen head? When you mentioned the "hydrocarbon chain", I thought you meant the phospholipids of the cellular membrane, not the embedded transmembrane proteins within the membrane.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

"Fear" of God means respecting Him for Who He is. Only in "fearing" God in this way can one truly "love" God. Fearing God includes being in "awe" of how "inexplicable" He is. This all-powerful, holy God, Who rejoices over us with singing. His joy becomes ours. The realization that He loved us ALREADY before we loved Him takes root, and His love and grace is shed abroad in our hearts, minds, and souls. He is the living God, the God of the living. We are fully alive in Him, through His only begotten Son, Who died, and resurrected, and now sits at the right hand of our Abba, our Father, Almighty God. We have much to be thankful for, for sin and death no longer have a hold on us. Our Savior, the Son of the living God, has set us free. Halleluia!!!

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

Resurrection Power by Kelanie Gloeckler at MorningStar Ministries - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ForceofTime

Feb 28, 2011
✟8,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Huh?

Oxygen is lipophilic or hydrophobic. Where did you get the "hydrophobic" oxygen head? When you mentioned the "hydrocarbon chain", I thought you meant the phospholipids of the cellular membrane, not the embedded transmembrane proteins within the membrane.

Hope this helps?

Source
The carboxylate end of the soap molecule is attracted to water. It is called the hydrophilic (water-loving) end.
10Chem.JPG

The hydrocarbon chain is attracted to oil and grease and repelled by water. It is known as the hydrophobic (water-hating) end

Another source

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][Edit: added quote] "Soap molecules have both properties of non-polar and polar at opposite ends of the molecule." [/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ForceofTime

Feb 28, 2011
✟8,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I wanted to add that continuing in this line would mean the soap molecule (Christian) has both Hydrophobic (God-fearing) and Hydrophilic (God-loving) properties.

Upvote 0

ForceofTime

Feb 28, 2011
✟8,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Huh?

After looking a bit further on the subject, I see that soap is not quite the answer which suits your question.

My question to you is if a Christian is a tansmembrane protein, what would a non-believer be in this scenario?

Upvote 0