✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6923434.stm
A sex offender has successfully challenged in the Court of Appeal the way the government manages indeterminate jail sentences.

While I support some violent offenders getting a sentence that will protect society until they are deemed
no longer a threat, I believe they should have a system to check on them. In the interest of society(I couldn't care less of a rapists rights.), when they are no longer a threat, let them go, get them off the prison budget.

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Medical science claims they are incureable... and always a threat.

Better to err on the side of experience with predators than to err on the side of wishful idealism.

If they should be in prison for life they should be sentenced to life in prison. It is not justice to give an indeterminate sentence that gives hope of freedom but offers no actual possibility.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
A quadraplegic wouldn't be harmful to most people...

A feeble old man needing a nursing home to care for him...
But I do agree that it would be a rare case for a typical
sex offender to be safe in society. Not favoring the release of these people, but if they are in prison until deemed safe, then someone has to evaluate the convict. And I believe the person that decides, should be warned that they are liable for damages comitted by
the convict they release. So they error on the side of safe.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
They should be doing something to earn their keep though...none of that free time and television and what not. They should be in chain gangs, or whatever else they can do to pay for the prison, instead of my taxes going to get them three squares a day...when I don't even get that myself.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If society expects that sending people to a cage full of other violent people will help make them a better person... who are they trying to kid?

I didn't think it was about making them a better person, I thought it was about punishing them and removing them from society to keep others safe.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They should be doing something to earn their keep though...none of that free time and television and what not. They should be in chain gangs, or whatever else they can do to pay for the prison, instead of my taxes going to get them three squares a day...when I don't even get that myself.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't think prison is quite the vacation you describe. I have a feeling that having prisoners do anything other than watch TV in a secure area is going to cost taxpayers alot more money.

If society expects that sending people to a cage full of other violent people will help make them a better person... who are they trying to kid?

Exactly. Prison is obviously not about turning bad citizens back into good citizens it is about punishment and retrubution.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't think it was about making them a better person, I thought it was about punishing them and removing them from society to keep others safe.

Which would go a long way to explaining why the recidivism rate is so high. It doesn't make sense to lock a bunch of violent criminals together for several years and then expect them to be anything but a violent criminal upon release without any sort of rehabilitaion while incarcerated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which would go a long way to explaining why the recidivism rate is so high. It doesn't make sense to lock a bunch of violent criminals together for several years and then expect them to be anything but a violent criminal upon release without any sort of rehabilitaion while incarcerated.

talking about sex offenders here, not theives or drug addicts...

if i had my way, they would all be stuck on an island to rot.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Medical science claims they are incureable... and always a threat.

Sources? AFAIK, rapists have a lower recidivism rate than other criminals.

Plus you have to define exactly who is incurable. A pedophile? A guy who takes advantage of a drunk girl? A streaker? Someone who has consensual sex with a person who is a year under the age of consent?

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
talking about sex offenders here, not theives or drug addicts...

if i had my way, they would all be stuck on an island to rot.

Sex offenders are often viewed as the worst of the worst and some of them I agree are, but it seems that society won't even let the least of the offenders be redeemed.

Upvote 0

dawnsday

Senior Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
STL, MO
✟18,344.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sex offenders are often viewed as the worst of the worst and some of them I agree are, but it seems that society won't even let the least of the offenders be redeemed.

I do agree many of the statutory rape cases are a little ridiculous, and feel for those guys...but sexually violating a person is probably the worst thing you can do outside of torture...actually it is torture in a sense.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Tent city, pink underwear, bolonga for meals.:thumbsup:
For the more trustworthy, prison work release, or chain gangs,
FOr the more dangerous: Working to help the prison run.

Maybe for the non-violent offenders teach them a trade to use on the outside. And everyone should be on a set schedule. Everyone up at 6 or 7 am. and in bed by 9pm. Make punishment show them how to get a schedule and keep it. So they can keep a job after released.

And sex offender in the states is pretty broad term. Don't know how the UK does it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums