✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
E-beth said:
I understand that some people might be on the sex offenders list for silly mistakes. But since I like to take walks with my son I concern myself with knowing if the neighborhood we walk around in is reasonably safe.

I am mostly concerned with any child predators in my neighborhood. It makes me really anxious to think about my son trick-or-treating at a convicted molester's house.

I do feel bad for those who are included unjustly. But it should serve as a lesson that sometimes wrong choices can haunt you the rest of your life.

Does it make you less anxious to go trick or teating at a house where an non-convicted molester lives? While I suppose it's helpful to know who the convicted molesters are in my neighborhood (and I do) the facts are that the majority of child sex offenders will abuse numerous victims before ever being caught and getting convicted is another thing entirely. Add to that the fact that many states only post the names and photos of level 3 offenders and that some states aren't that great about updating their lists and you may really have no idea who is a danger out there.

Basically rather than rely on the notices that come home from our schools about new offenders in the area or on the registry I have always done my best to teach my children safe ways of living... that includes allowing them to refuse to let "Uncle Joe" hug them when they don't want to be hugged or "Aunt Sue" to pinch their cheeks if it bothers them. My children are allowed to say know to adults who ask for help and refuse to enter rooms alone with teachers, coaches and music instructors and such other things.

I worked for 8 years in a residential program for teenagers, 93% of our female residents had been victims of sexual abuse and the majority had been victims at the hands of father figures, teachers and recreational program supervisors.... the convicted guy down the block who throws a candy bar in my kids bag at halloween isn't as much of a danger to my kid as the teacher who is grooming his or her next victim.

Upvote 0

Chosen One

Jul 14, 2005
✟8,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
wanderingone said:
Does it make you less anxious to go trick or teating at a house where an non-convicted molester lives? While I suppose it's helpful to know who the convicted molesters are in my neighborhood (and I do) the facts are that the majority of child sex offenders will abuse numerous victims before ever being caught and getting convicted is another thing entirely. Add to that the fact that many states only post the names and photos of level 3 offenders and that some states aren't that great about updating their lists and you may really have no idea who is a danger out there.

Basically rather than rely on the notices that come home from our schools about new offenders in the area or on the registry I have always done my best to teach my children safe ways of living... that includes allowing them to refuse to let "Uncle Joe" hug them when they don't want to be hugged or "Aunt Sue" to pinch their cheeks if it bothers them. My children are allowed to say know to adults who ask for help and refuse to enter rooms alone with teachers, coaches and music instructors and such other things.

I worked for 8 years in a residential program for teenagers, 93% of our female residents had been victims of sexual abuse and the majority had been victims at the hands of father figures, teachers and recreational program supervisors.... the convicted guy down the block who throws a candy bar in my kids bag at halloween isn't as much of a danger to my kid as the teacher who is grooming his or her next victim.

Well put.

For someone who has been caught and convicted and served for their crime- they KNOW they are being watched. Even if a child says anything- they are screwed.

Someone who hasn't been caught yet is the dangerous one. I dont let my kids be alone with any adult other than me and my wife. Even when they go into the confession box- they go together or have mom or dad with them. Not that I don't trust our priest- but no point in tempting the man.

Maybe we could get an accused sex offender list going. On the list, people who were accused- not just merely convicted- of a sex crime would be placed. We could also put creepy people who we think might do it- like that really creepy guy who looks at kids a little funny.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chosen One said:
Maybe we could get an accused sex offender list going. On the list, people who were accused- not just merely convicted- of a sex crime would be placed. We could also put creepy people who we think might do it- like that really creepy guy who looks at kids a little funny.

I have no desire for such a thing.

Upvote 0

FWD

Sep 12, 2005
✟7,637.00
Faith
Christian
Hi,

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread or not, but I thought I would post something in case anyone is. My name is Steve and I am the founder and President of Family Watchdog. I wanted to let people know that we are now in the following states: AL, AZ, CA, NM, TX, GA, FL, VA, WV, NY, OH, KY, TN, IN, MI, IL, MO and KS. We'll be in a total of 42 states by mid-October.

I've read the posts here and on other forums and blogs, and there are a couple things I'd like to say. I've read a lot about forgiveness, the scarlet letter, underage or jilted lovers, etc. As a Christian, I did a lot of research before I developed this site, because the last thing I wanted was to brand people. I talked with several pastors, and the overwhelming majority believed that what I did was a good thing.

While there are instances of 18 year olds and 15 year olds having consentual sex, they are extremely few and far between. Same thing with jilted lovers. The vast majority (98.5+%) of the people on these registries are sick, dangerous, sociopaths who are extremely manipulative and think that their actions are perfectly legitimate.

80 - 90% of all sexual assaults are perpetrated against people that the attacker knows. 95% of children that are molested knew and trusted their molester. 52% of child molesters that are incarcerated and released will be rearrested. Many more will reoffend and never be caught. The average first-time offender will molest 120 children before being caught. and 20% of girls and 17% of boys will be molested before their 18th birthday.

As for the scarlet letter, the offender put that on when they were caught. A sex conviction will follow that person forever, whether Family Watchdog exists or not.

And forgiveness; certainly we should forgive these people. You might even have one that is a friend. I do. But I would never leave my 12 year old alone with him, not for a minute. It is not about forgivemenss, it is about protection. Being a Christian does not mean that you must present yourself or your loved ones as a sacrifice to thugs.

Just thought I'd share some info about why we're here.

In Him,

Steve

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ozymandius said:
Even at the maximum size map I still can't find an offender anywhere nearby. I really do live in the most boring town in the Universe.

This is a bad thing?

I found a preditor in my little town. He lives within a mile of our school.
Butif he lived in town he would be within a mile.

Upvote 0

419gam

Veteran
Mar 26, 2005
California
✟1,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There were too many to click on but below is a partial sampling of all the offenders within two blocks of my apartment. For those that oppose this idea, would you rather a neighborhood parent not be aware of this situation? If I had kids I would move. I think parents have a right to know whether or not their neighborhood is safe.

The list within two blocks
No one is on here for public urination or streaking the quad in college (crimes grouped together were commited by the same person):

RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC

CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN/LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS

RAPE BY FORCE}
ORAL COPULATION W/PERSON UNDER 18}

LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS

ORAL COPULATION WITH PERSON UNDER 14/ETC OR BY FORCE/ETC

RAPE BY FORCE

RAPE BY FORCE}
LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS}
LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS W/FORCE}
ORAL COPULATION WITH PERSON UNDER 14/ETC OR BY FORCE/ETC}

LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS ACTS WITH CHILD UNDER 14 YEARS W/FORCE}
RAPE BY FORCE}

KIDNAPPING/TO COMMIT 261, 286, 288, 288a, 289}
ASSAULT W/INTENT TO COMMIT RAPE, SODOMY, OR ORAL COPULATION}

RAPE BY FORCE}

CRIMES AGAINST CHILDREN/LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS}
ORAL COPULATION}
INDECENT EXPOSURE}

RAPE BY FORCE/FEAR/ETC}

SODOMY WITH PERSON UNDER 14 YEARS OR WITH FORCE}
ANNOY/MOLEST CHILDREN}

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums