Sex Education in Schools

sistakrista

PLEASE, PLEASE FEED YOUR PET! THEY ARE HUNGRY!
Aug 30, 2006
by the Arch
✟11,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Still, if the parents DO not teach their children~ WHAT THEN? Let those not taught get AIDS? AIDS is REAL & it REALLY KILLS! Sex education is not sex encouragement. I ask, if YOUR daughter saud, "I have AIDS." Would you blame the school for NOT teaching her how to avoid it?

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Still, if the parents DO not teach their children~ WHAT THEN? Let those not taught get AIDS? AIDS is REAL & it REALLY KILLS! Sex education is not sex encouragement. I ask, if YOUR daughter saud, "I have AIDS." Would you blame the school for NOT teaching her how to avoid it?
Between my wife and myself we talked with all three of our girls about sex and the consequences. We also watched specials on TV about Aids and many other diseases that one can pick-up from casual sex. Plus they’ve read many of the stories I’ve posted about sex issues and I can say they came away with a good understanding of the what ifs. When you take the time to talk with your kids and get involved they understand. So, to answer your question… I tell them how sorry I was that they didn’t listen and love them anyway.

Upvote 0

leeseylou2

Sep 25, 2006
Florida
✟8,033.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I honestly believe that sex education should begin in the home at an early age. Not so early it is inappropriate, but as soon as you think the child is ready to learn, which is in most cases, between 13-15 years old. Parents should not rely on schools and teachers to teach their child about something that is a personal choice. Yes, they can teach the facts, like about AIDS awareness, how to have safe sex, the benefits of abstinence, and the like. But it is up to the parents to reinforce that, or even teach that before the class, so the class becomes more of a reinforcement, than a CRUTCH which most parents seem to use it as.

Many parents don't even look at their children's report cards. It is a shame how many parents are NOT involved in their child's education. If they do not involve themselves actively, how can we expect the children to be empowered in the classroom? If they have no support, no one to cheer when they do well, no one to help them if they need it, how are they expected to believe that education is important?

Sex education is incredibly important, we need to take measures in order to save the generations from making deadly mistakes. Because of this, we should not rely on teachers or schools. I'm not saying that we should take it out of the schools. But the parents should be actively involved in the education of their child, helping to reinforce information.

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I honestly believe that sex education should begin in the home at an early age. Not so early it is inappropriate, but as soon as you think the child is ready to learn, which is in most cases, between 13-15 years old. Parents should not rely on schools and teachers to teach their child about something that is a personal choice. Yes, they can teach the facts, like about AIDS awareness, how to have safe sex, the benefits of abstinence, and the like. But it is up to the parents to reinforce that, or even teach that before the class, so the class becomes more of a reinforcement, than a CRUTCH which most parents seem to use it as.

Many parents don't even look at their children's report cards. It is a shame how many parents are NOT involved in their child's education. If they do not involve themselves actively, how can we expect the children to be empowered in the classroom? If they have no support, no one to cheer when they do well, no one to help them if they need it, how are they expected to believe that education is important?

Sex education is incredibly important, we need to take measures in order to save the generations from making deadly mistakes. Because of this, we should not rely on teachers or schools. I'm not saying that we should take it out of the schools. But the parents should be actively involved in the education of their child, helping to reinforce information.
Some times I wonder where common sense got lost..

Upvote 0

leeseylou2

Sep 25, 2006
Florida
✟8,033.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Some times I wonder where common sense got lost..
I agree, I think it is a sad fact that parents are not actively involved in their children's education. I see kids on a daily basis whose parents aren't involved in the kids' lives until it's too late, and a suicide attempt has been made. It's a very sad thing to see.

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I agree, I think it is a sad fact that parents are not actively involved in their children's education. I see kids on a daily basis whose parents aren't involved in the kids' lives until it's too late, and a suicide attempt has been made. It's a very sad thing to see.
They're not parents anymore they're still children themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AngeliaTurner

Singing for the Lord!!!
Aug 9, 2006
Mississippi
✟18,406.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Story Teller you make a very good point. We as people have failed our children and we as christians have failed Christ in this matter. Alot of people have the thought "well that won't happen to my child, I have a good kid." It is heart breaking to see so many children are being hurt by this way of thinking. I try my hardest to educate my children according to God's Word in this matter. I wish more christians would wake up and see that we need to stand up and fight for our kids.

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Story Teller you make a very good point. We as people have failed our children and we as christians have failed Christ in this matter. Alot of people have the thought "well that won't happen to my child, I have a good kid." It is heart breaking to see so many children are being hurt by this way of thinking. I try my hardest to educate my children according to God's Word in this matter. I wish more christians would wake up and see that we need to stand up and fight for our kids.
When the time comes I'll praise any child that waits until marriage.

Upvote 0
I'm a freshmen in college now, and I have to say that I HIGHLY doubt that over 70% of kids have had sex by the time tehy graduate highschool. I came here thinking I would be the only virgin on my floor, in my dorm, in the school! But it's not that way at all, I've met SO many people who have decided that all this hype about sex isn't what it's cracked up to be.

I have so much hope for my generation, for these students. We've decided that our sexuality is something special, and regardless of what they teach in schools, it's our bodies, and God's gift, and WE make the decisions. These kids I've met who are all still virgins aren't even all Christians, or religious, or dorks, or ugly or any of those "terrible" sterotypes people put on virgins.

They're of every color, race, religion, intelligence, background, everything you could imagine. It just fills me with such JOY to see that my generation has a brain they can use and a heart to figure out right from wrong. That we can say, "Hey, you can give us sex ed in high school- but that won't pressure us into giving away this great gift."

I go to Rutgers University, a large state school- where people of all kinds come together, and the amount of people I've run into who aren't having sex is just astounding. When I graduated high school I had no idea who was a virgin and who wasn't, but now I'm getting an idea that a lot more people are saving sex than I thought.

So the fact that 70% of high school students have had sex before they graduate just astounds me- if that's true, then it isn't reflected here at all. It sounds like an exaggeration that I hope is just a pessamistic view on the world- because I believe that this generation has enough faith in God to keep our bodies sacred.

They are our gift from Him and are finally being treated as such!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a freshmen in college now, and I have to say that I HIGHLY doubt that over 70% of kids have had sex by the time tehy graduate highschool. I came here thinking I would be the only virgin on my floor, in my dorm, in the school! But it's not that way at all, I've met SO many people who have decided that all this hype about sex isn't what it's cracked up to be.

I have so much hope for my generation, for these students. We've decided that our sexuality is something special, and regardless of what they teach in schools, it's our bodies, and God's gift, and WE make the decisions. These kids I've met who are all still virgins aren't even all Christians, or religious, or dorks, or ugly or any of those "terrible" sterotypes people put on virgins.

They're of every color, race, religion, intelligence, background, everything you could imagine. It just fills me with such JOY to see that my generation has a brain they can use and a heart to figure out right from wrong. That we can say, "Hey, you can give us sex ed in high school- but that won't pressure us into giving away this great gift."

I go to Rutgers University, a large state school- where people of all kinds come together, and the amount of people I've run into who aren't having sex is just astounding. When I graduated high school I had no idea who was a virgin and who wasn't, but now I'm getting an idea that a lot more people are saving sex than I thought.

So the fact that 70% of high school students have had sex before they graduate just astounds me- if that's true, then it isn't reflected here at all. It sounds like an exaggeration that I hope is just a pessamistic view on the world- because I believe that this generation has enough faith in God to keep our bodies sacred.

They are our gift from Him and are finally being treated as such!
FANTASTIC!!! I love to hear something like that. It gives me hope for our next generation. Thank you so much for letting us know and for standing up for what you believe in..:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I will too. I just pray that my children will remember what God's word has taught them when the time comes that they have to make the decision.
That's why I have a story called, "You Can Make A Difference."

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟9,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sex Education in Schools

According to recent national studies, 70 percent of all high schoolers have had sex by the time they graduate. The United States has more than double the teenage pregnancy rate of any western industrialized country, with more than a million teenagers becoming pregnant each year.
Teenagers have the highest rates of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) of any age group, with one in four contracting an STD by the age of 21. HIV infection is increasing most rapidly among young people--one in four new infections in the United States occurs in people younger than 22. In 1994, 417 new AIDS cases were diagnosed among 13 to 19 year-olds, and 2,684 new cases among 20 to 24 year-olds.

Parents Want More Comprehensive Sex Education in Schools

By Todd Zwillich
WASHINGTON (Reuters Health) Sept 27 - A new national survey shows that sex education classes offered to public high school students are not as lengthy or as comprehensive as most parents think they should be.
It also shows that teaching sexual abstinence until marriage remains at the top of parents' sex education priorities. At the same time, the majority of parents also want their children to get more instruction about sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, and how to communicate with partners.
"The results in their entirety challenge both sides in the [sex education] debate to rethink their positions on [education] in the public schools," said Steven Rabin, senior vice president of media and public education for the California-based Kaiser Family Foundation, which conducted the survey.
Kaiser produced the results from telephone interviews with a nationwide sample of some 1500 students in the 7th to 12th grades and their parents, and 1000 public school sex education teachers from those grades. Over 300 public school principals were also surveyed.
Overall 89% of students reported having at least some sex education classes at school by the 11th or 12th grade.
Nearly all parents said that sex education classes should encourage teens to wait until they are married until having sex. But two-thirds said that the overall message to teens should be to wait to have sex, but use birth control and safe sex practice if they do not wait.
At the same time, at least 75% of parents said that classes should cover a wide range of other topics, including homosexuality, abortion, proper condom use, and how to get tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.
"Parents, simply put, want it all," said Tina Hoff, a Kaiser researcher who conducted the study. But few sex education classes seem long enough to cover all the topics parents want their kids to know about, Hoff added. Three quarters of the teachers said that their most recent sex education course lasted one or several class periods; in contrast, three quarters of parents said it should last half a semester or more.
Shorter classes may be leaving out many topics that parents think are important. While 97% of parents reported wanting sex education classes to instruct kids on what to do if they are raped, only 59% of teens said that their classes had broached the topic. Similar gaps in parents' priorities and kids' experiences were seen in areas of homosexuality and how to talk with parents and partners about sex. "Parents are looking for real-life skills to be taught in the classroom," Hoff said.
The survey also seemed to uncover gaps between the models that schools are supposed to be using for sex education and what students are actually picking up in class. While one third of teachers and principals said that the main message of their sex education classes was "abstinence only," only 18% of students said that they had received an abstinence-only message at school.
Those numbers could mean that students who ask questions about sexual intercourse or contraception in class often get those questions answered, even by teachers mandated to teach only abstinence, said Dr. Ramon Cortines, a former New York City Schools Chancellor who was on hand when reporters were briefed on the study today.
"When the doors are closed in that classroom its hard to know what is really going on" between teachers and students, he said.

Where will it End??

When and where will it all end? Do we have to see our children start dieing? Why did we let the government get involved? I remember when, maybe, one or two girls got pregnant and had to leave school. Our parents were in charge of sex education then. It seems like there was a period of time when the parents became irresponsible for their children and the media and government stepped in and took over. I know it’s to late to go back in time, but we need to do something. I think the schools should push for abstinence only and back it up with the HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. They need to take the proper condom use and stick them over the head of the brain that thought that one up. Why should they abstinence when the schools are handing them out, for free. If the kids want condoms let them go into the drug stores and buy them, in front of adults, like we had to do. I know this was a BIG obstacle I had to over come even after I was married. Let the schools go back to teaching English, Math, History and get out of the sex business. Let the government go back to building our economy and stop worrying about who they can control next.

Sorry for the last comment, but I felt it had to be said. Any way, thanks for listening and letting me put my two cents in.

Richard

:wave:

Where will it end . . .
When will it end . . .

at this word . . .

:thumbsup: VIRGIN

It's not a swear word;) . . .
and when ADULTS teach, that it's OKAY to be one . . . things will get better . . .

ADULTS have to teach that it's OKAY and preferable in The Makers' Eyes for both Males and Females, Men and Women and Boys and Girls to be VIRGINS throughout life and on the day they WED.

;) How many times can you say: It's okay to be a virgin. . .

~~If someone is beautiful,
doesn't imply that they are fornicating; likewise
~~If someone is ugly,
doesn't imply that they are chaste.

Be TRULY beautiful and also be chaste .

:angel:

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
:wave:

Where will it end . . .
When will it end . . .

at this word . . .

:thumbsup: VIRGIN

It's not a swear word;) . . .
and when ADULTS teach, that it's OKAY to be one . . . things will get better . . .

ADULTS have to teach that it's OKAY and preferable in The Makers' Eyes for both Males and Females, Men and Women and Boys and Girls to be VIRGINS throughout life and on the day they WED.

;) How many times can you say: It's okay to be a virgin. . .

~~If someone is beautiful,
doesn't imply that they are fornicating; likewise
~~If someone is ugly,
doesn't imply that they are chaste.

Be TRULY beautiful and also be chaste .

:angel:
You may be right..

Upvote 0