New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Sex Education in Schools

According to recent national studies, 70 percent of all high schoolers have had sex by the time they graduate. The United States has more than double the teenage pregnancy rate of any western industrialized country, with more than a million teenagers becoming pregnant each year.

Teenagers have the highest rates of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) of any age group, with one in four contracting an STD by the age of 21. HIV infection is increasing most rapidly among young people--one in four new infections in the United States occurs in people younger than 22. In 1994, 417 new AIDS cases were diagnosed among 13 to 19 year-olds, and 2,684 new cases among 20 to 24 year-olds.

Parents Want More Comprehensive Sex Education in Schools

By Todd Zwillich

WASHINGTON (Reuters Health) Sept 27 - A new national survey shows that sex education classes offered to public high school students are not as lengthy or as comprehensive as most parents think they should be.

It also shows that teaching sexual abstinence until marriage remains at the top of parents' sex education priorities. At the same time, the majority of parents also want their children to get more instruction about sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, and how to communicate with partners.

"The results in their entirety challenge both sides in the [sex education] debate to rethink their positions on [education] in the public schools," said Steven Rabin, senior vice president of media and public education for the California-based Kaiser Family Foundation, which conducted the survey.

Kaiser produced the results from telephone interviews with a nationwide sample of some 1500 students in the 7th to 12th grades and their parents, and 1000 public school sex education teachers from those grades. Over 300 public school principals were also surveyed.

Overall 89% of students reported having at least some sex education classes at school by the 11th or 12th grade.

Nearly all parents said that sex education classes should encourage teens to wait until they are married until having sex. But two-thirds said that the overall message to teens should be to wait to have sex, but use birth control and safe sex practice if they do not wait.

At the same time, at least 75% of parents said that classes should cover a wide range of other topics, including homosexuality, abortion, proper condom use, and how to get tested for HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.

"Parents, simply put, want it all," said Tina Hoff, a Kaiser researcher who conducted the study. But few sex education classes seem long enough to cover all the topics parents want their kids to know about, Hoff added. Three quarters of the teachers said that their most recent sex education course lasted one or several class periods; in contrast, three quarters of parents said it should last half a semester or more.

Shorter classes may be leaving out many topics that parents think are important. While 97% of parents reported wanting sex education classes to instruct kids on what to do if they are raped, only 59% of teens said that their classes had broached the topic. Similar gaps in parents' priorities and kids' experiences were seen in areas of homosexuality and how to talk with parents and partners about sex. "Parents are looking for real-life skills to be taught in the classroom," Hoff said.

The survey also seemed to uncover gaps between the models that schools are supposed to be using for sex education and what students are actually picking up in class. While one third of teachers and principals said that the main message of their sex education classes was "abstinence only," only 18% of students said that they had received an abstinence-only message at school.

Those numbers could mean that students who ask questions about sexual intercourse or contraception in class often get those questions answered, even by teachers mandated to teach only abstinence, said Dr. Ramon Cortines, a former New York City Schools Chancellor who was on hand when reporters were briefed on the study today.

"When the doors are closed in that classroom its hard to know what is really going on" between teachers and students, he said.

Where will it End??

When and where will it all end? Do we have to see our children start dieing? Why did we let the government get involved? I remember when, maybe, one or two girls got pregnant and had to leave school. Our parents were in charge of sex education then. It seems like there was a period of time when the parents became irresponsible for their children and the media and government stepped in and took over. I know it’s to late to go back in time, but we need to do something. I think the schools should push for abstinence only and back it up with the HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. They need to take the proper condom use and stick them over the head of the brain that thought that one up. Why should they abstinence when the schools are handing them out, for free. If the kids want condoms let them go into the drug stores and buy them, in front of adults, like we had to do. I know this was a BIG obstacle I had to over come even after I was married. Let the schools go back to teaching English, Math, History and get out of the sex business. Let the government go back to building our economy and stop worrying about who they can control next.

Sorry for the last comment, but I felt it had to be said. Any way, thanks for listening and letting me put my two cents in.

Richard

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Seven Wonders of the World

A group of Geography students studied the Seven Wonders of the World. At the end of that section, the students were asked to list what they considered to be the Seven Wonders of the World. Though there was some disagreement, the following got the most votes:

1. Egypt's Great Pyramids

2. Taj Mahal

3. Grand Canyon

4. Panama Canal

5. Empire State Building

6. St. Peter's Basilica

7. China's Great Wall

While gathering the votes, the teacher noted that one student, a quiet girl, hadn't turned in her paper yet. So she asked the girl if she was having trouble with her list.

The quiet girl replied, "Yes, a little. I couldn't quite make up my mind because there were so many."

The teacher said, "Well, tell us what you have, and maybe we can help."

The girl hesitated, then read, "I think the Seven Wonders of the World are:

1. to touch

2. to taste

3. to see

4. to hear

She hesitated a little, and then...

5. to run

6. to laugh

7. and to love."

It is far too easy for us to look at the exploits of man and refer to them as "wonders" while we overlook all God has done, regarding them as merely "ordinary."

Author Unknown

Submitted by Richard

Upvote 0

FLANDIDLYANDERS

When I am slain may my corpse lie facing the Enemy
Aug 16, 2005
Pompey
✟12,836.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Regarding Sex-Ed. I am a teacher of pupils aged 11-16 here in England and I'd say that Parents are relying on skools to do most of their job for them... so the Government is responding to this by attempting to equip teachers for that task - which is, of course, stoopid. But then, a government can't tell people how to be parents... unless it is forced on them, and then who does something when forced to? Especially something like parenting that requires it be done from love and genuine desire. Do I believe in Sex-Ed in skools. Hmn, tricky, having taught it myself, I'd say that I have personally affected pupils, but as a whole it relies on the teacher providing it... and let's just say that the trend in society, and therefore teachers, is away from RESPONSIBLE LOVE!!!

I have 3 kids, one more due in the next 2 weeks!!

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
DAMNFLANDRZ said:
Regarding Sex-Ed. I am a teacher of pupils aged 11-16 here in England and I'd say that Parents are relying on skools to do most of their job for them... so the Government is responding to this by attempting to equip teachers for that task - which is, of course, stoopid. But then, a government can't tell people how to be parents... unless it is forced on them, and then who does something when forced to? Especially something like parenting that requires it be done from love and genuine desire. Do I believe in Sex-Ed in skools. Hmn, tricky, having taught it myself, I'd say that I have personally affected pupils, but as a whole it relies on the teacher providing it... and let's just say that the trend in society, and therefore teachers, is away from RESPONSIBLE SEX!!!

My wife says "with great sex, comes great responsibily..."
I have 3 kids, one more due in the next 2 weeks!!

Damn out.
First let me say, "Welcome to the message board."

As a father of three girls I don't envy you have to raise children in this time and age. The world isn’t a nice place to have kids any more. There’s to much for them to get into trouble with. They don’t have to go looking for it, it will come to them. I pray that they have the morals to withstand all the temptations that will be thrown at them.:) :wave:

Upvote 0