Dec 20, 2006
✟7,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Disclaimer: this is not intended as a debate or argument--so please, no arguments. this is a very touchy issue.

How has the sex abuse scandal affected your Catholic faith? Do you see things differently know? How do you reconcile things? Do you view your priests differently? Do you view the authority of the Church differently? Why or why not?

MaideninWaiting

Jan 10, 2007
✟8,056.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My faith is just as strong as it's always been. (If not stronger, since I'm always learning and growing.) The scandal hasn't really affected my faith because I've never had the impression that priests (etc.) were suddenly perfect men who never sin. They are sinners just like the rest of us. They have their weaknesses too. They are going to fall and stumble. Does that make everything that has happened ok? No. It's not ok for anybody and especially not ok for those who have a responcibility to lead us. But their sins don't change what is Truth and their sins don't change my faith in God and what's He's revealed to me through His Church.

In Christ,
Bridgette

Reactions: Voegelin
Upvote 0

Sandlapper277

Dec 26, 2006
✟15,694.00
Faith
Catholic
I hate to be callous, but I think it's by-and-large a non issue. Some children were definitely abused, and that was absolutely, undeniably wrong. Then the money started flowing, and now there are allegations of abuse here, there, and everywhere. We have dead Priests being accused, Priests who were 10 or 11 years old at the time of the alleged abuse, etc.

I have an uncle who was called a couple months back, by someone who really pressed him to join a lawsuit and say things about a now deceased priest of the Charleston Diocese, including lofty sums of money. Nothing has ever happened, and he pretty much told the guy off, but speaking ill of the dead is mighty easy, especially when lawyers were apparently calling everyone who was young and in the parish at a certain time to round up plaintiffs.

On another note, the Church and Her Sacraments rely on the personal holiness of no man, lay, priest, bishop, or Pope. So none of this changes anything as it relates to faith.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, a lot of teachers and coaches are sexual abusers too, but I still keep my kids in school and sports.

It is a question of keeping things in perspective.

It is also a question of observing, and getting to know who your priest really are, and listening to your intuitions about them- especially when your kids are involved.

The priest in my own parish seem very much interested in pursuing a holy lifestyle. I really get that sense.

My understanding though, is that the open homosexuality of the seminaries in the past decades is no longer tolerated so much. The sex scandals were a serious blow to the integrity of the Church, but the Church admistration, up to and including the pope, have responded and are no longer so tolerant of such a lifestyle for the priesthood.

As a final note, sex abuse is not so much a blow against the teachings of the Church, but a blow against the waning of those teachings in our own society. I believe that the teachings of the Church are more important than ever, for we all become vulnerable when these values are no longer believed in.

Already, there are those forces in society that think that pederastery is quite alright.

Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
There is this abuse on many levels. In other churches, schools (how is the teaching community coping), in corporations (how are executives coping), in hollywood (how are all those poor actors and actresses coping), and don't forget the medical profession (I can't believe we still have doctors and nurses).

My point is that the scandel is media based and biased toward an orgnization that has led the world since the time of Jesus the Christ in it's overall moral and infallible law. Can there be bad people, yes, but that doesn't negate the billions of lives and souls the church has saved over the centuries. Many out there not part of the church look for oppertunities to make Her look bad because they are jealous that they cannot have the impact on the world as she does. But that is because She is guided by the Holy Ghost and that will never fail or be prevailed against.

So in summary, I feel great! :wave: :clap:

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It has not shaken my faith, but it has strengthened my belief that there should be nothing that is hushed, nothing that is so evil or distasteful that we are hesitant to speak of it. We all have the obligation to report all abuse when we see it, and to investigate further, even if it makes some uncomfortable, when we suspect it.
The fact that many others have committed offences against children doesn't make me feel any better about the Priests that did these atrocities. I don't think it's unfair to expect more out of our spiritual leaders than we do of others in the community.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
It did change my faith to some extent. I remember being very shocked by what happened, and still happens in some places, and it's true that my faith wavered a bit, especially with the high level of media coverage, and the new way some people viewed Catholics. But then I realised that what happened didn't have a bearing on the actual teachings of the Church. The priests who did this are not real Catholics, and the fact that some so-called Catholics committed a terrible sin doesn't change truth of Catholic teachings.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The hush hush and send the priest offender hither and yon did affect me. Those who are leaders in my faith or any should be that. Beyond that kind of reproach. Predaters of children. Not sent hither and yon but sent to prison.

Our priest loved children and they him. Flocking to him and hugs all around. Father walked around surrounded by a bee hive made up of kids. All parents became protective as did Father, who could not any longer have that relationship with them.. No, he wasn't a pedophile. But great caution came about in our parish. Now I look at all priests, teachers, boy/girl scout leaders, anyone who has access to kids with a lot more caution. No one gets a 100% free pass anymore by me. And religious definitely had more lee way by me back then.

As pointed out and like our priest, the good priests have had to suffer because of this. I do believe there are more good than bad. But still, I exercise a lot more caution across the entire board. Tis a shame but there I am.

-Peace-

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Number 81

ಠ_ಠ
Mar 31, 2003
✟2,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The hush hush and send the priest offender hither and yon did affect me. Those who are leaders in my faith or any should be that. Beyond that kind of reproach. Predaters of children. Not sent hither and yon but sent to prison.

Our priest loved children and they him. Flocking to him and hugs all around. Father walked around surrounded by a bee hive made up of kids. All parents became protective as did Father, who could not any longer have that relationship with them.. No, he wasn't a pedophile. But great caution came about in our parish. Now I look at all priests, teachers, boy/girl scout leaders, anyone who has access to kids with a lot more caution. No one gets a 100% free pass anymore by me. And religious definitely had more lee way by me back then.

As pointed out and like our priest, the good priests have had to suffer because of this. I do believe there are more good than bad. But still, I exercise a lot more caution across the entire board. Tis a shame but there I am.

-Peace-
This is a particularly sad issue. Now the priests have to be careful not to be seen with too many kids or else it could raise suspicions about abuse or pedophilia. I volunteer at my parish, and I am going on a retreat, and one of the meetings was about how to avoid child abuse. Apparently we can hug the kids, but it has to be the A hug (the two / and \ are the people, and the - is the arms), or a side hug, where we put one arm over the shoulder of the other person. Nothing else or it's abuse.
It's like the pedophilia version of McCarthyism.

Upvote 0

HisKid1973

Thank You Jesus For Interceding For Me
Mar 29, 2005
Chocolate Town USA
✟15,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Non Catholic comment...It is a scourge that affects all humanity and I think it is another sign thta Christ's return hastens upon us...My only crux is the jockying away of the abusers and not the dicipline like Paul would have recommended at the Corinth church..Just like Haggard, even though his was personal, was removed and is moving to another area. I can't imagine him pastoring a flock in the near future..The saddness of tis all is the touch issue like the other poster said. ...When I was a house dad in a ministry to abused children, we were limited in our touch, which is what alot of these kids needed...pax..Kim

Upvote 0

marciadietrich

Senior Veteran
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
✟13,560.00
Faith
Catholic
Oddly enough I was beginning the process of converting when this all broke out as news. So in that it made no difference to my conversion and I don't look at my priest as if he is a potential child molestor.

I suppose it is similiar to cases of doctor's abusing patients or being sued needlessly which has brought about the need for a nurse to be present during delicate situation exams for women. There were a few guilty and it caused a change in the way business is done, for the saftey of the patient (child) and doctor (priest).

Marcia

Upvote 0

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
I was in RCIA in 2001 when the Boston stories made big headlines. A priest who served at the parish I was attending was in jail (prison?) for abuse offenses so I heard the stories of his actions while in RCIA. I still became and have remained Catholic.

I know a priest who was accused and I firmly believe that he was wrongly accused. The alleged victim's story had many inconsistencies which were never published in the MSM.

That said, I still believe in the heiraerchy of the Church, although they are human and can and do make mistakes. I view priests by their actions and words - I try to not pre-judge them. There is alot of dissent in the priesthood and so I can understand how bad priests were protected.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
It has not affected my faith at all. Considering that the priests involved represent a tiny minority, you can't condemn the entire Church for the sins of a few. Besides, according to studies, Protestant pastors are just as likely to be involved with molestation, etc. as Catholic priests. Does that affect your faith? Let's be honest here: Jesus Himself chose 12 sinners incuding one who denied him and another who betrayed him to be his followers/leaders. None of us is without sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hawko

Aug 29, 2006
✟9,246.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Disclaimer: this is not intended as a debate or argument--so please, no arguments. this is a very touchy issue.

How has the sex abuse scandal affected your Catholic faith? Do you see things differently know? How do you reconcile things? Do you view your priests differently? Do you view the authority of the Church differently? Why or why not?
Regarding the sex abuse scandle; it is a strong reminder that priests are just human beings like everyone else. They are sinners just like the rest of us are, and are in need of forgiveness and our prayerfull support. Any one of us (without the grace of God) is capable of comitting the most horrible crimes against humanity possible, including sex abuse crimes.
The one aspect of this whole scenario that was upsetting to me, was the purposely moving priests that had a history of sex abuse from one parrish to another, to give them a chance to abuse another child. These priests should have been treated like any other person who perpetrates this type of crime; namely, arrested and gone to trial, so that justice would be done.
These priests are especially in need of our prayers and can only be cured and healed by Christ Himself.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.