✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello:wave:

I hear from pentecostal/charismatic Christians quite a lot that they have been 'set free from religion'.

What does that mean?

I started out in the Catholic Church, later I spent 8 years in AOG.

Usually mud is slinged at the RCC for its 'religion', but I saw that AOG has their own little traditions, their own little rules and little rituals.

I dont understand this 'free from religion' quote in that regard. I was just as religious in AOG as in the Catholic Church.

Any insight?

{When discussing please discuss with love for one another as if Jesus was listening to your every word, as indeed he is}

:)

P

Peaceful Dove

I am with you. I don't understand it either.

As many of you know, I am a Catholic Charismatic.
That means I am Born Again, Spirit Filled, Bible loving, Tongue Talkng, hand waven, foot stompen, washed in the Blood of the Lamb and... Roman Catholic.

So, I would like it explained to me, too. I am a 72 year old lung cancer survivor. If there is something I am missing, someone please tell me.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I define religion as man reaching out to God to earn a relationship.

Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with God that was initiated by God.

I do not know how the term "free from religion" was meant by those who used it.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

I define religion as man reaching out to God to earn a relationship.

Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with God that was initiated by God.

I do not know how the term "free from religion" was meant by those who used it.

I like this post.
God reaches out to us (He calls all men unto Himself), and we respond by grabbing HIS hand. :clap:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,226.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I hear from pentecostal/charismatic Christians quite a lot that they have been 'set free from religion'.

Hi Lismore, :wave:

I don't know what anyone else means but the statement suggests to me that a person has been set free from the man made rules and observances of a particular denomiation; things like, you have to do x, y or z to be a true Christian. Maybe "set free from the trappings of religion", would be a better phrase?

Other religions have lists of rules that you have to keep in order to please their particular god. Christianity doesn't, or shouldn't, because we teach that no one can be good enough to please him. It has been said that Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship.

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2008
✟8,438.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I believe this means that they are set free from the "rituals" and are able to pray with "meaning" without having all prayers as pre-set for a personal relationship with the Lord, and in personal submission. I also believe Legalism has something to do with this as well. I mean no disrespect to anyone that has ritual in their respective church. For me, I am struggling each day with ritual and OCD in my every day life. So I am trying to work through and keep my faith going, in the least religious way possible. For to be "religious" has nothing to do with how much we need, want, and love God and one another. We can be religious about washing our hands, about standing in line in the proper order, and do all the things that look proper, pray a certain prayer in a certain fashion and anything we can do in life can become such. But to be free from "religion" is to be free to Love one another, worship our LORD and have him teach us humility, and find our way in which HE wants us to follow HIM. To be free from religion also could be seen as being freed from the Old covenant legalism, and follow in the true way God wants us to go in. To be free, means we are finally free in Christ. It does not mean we have limitless freedom. If we show the fruits of the Spirit as the Bible says, there is no law against it from my understanding. Freedom of religion, gives us freedom to worship, and Love our Savior and be in his presence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Set free from religion to me means being set free from legalism -

I have been to many churches throughout my life and most of them were so busy telling you what you can't do that they don't focus on what God can do.

So to me knowing God as a personal relationship, walking hand in hand with Jesus and being led by the Holy Spirit without all the 'can't do' legalism is truely 'set free.'

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNsL-cXW-a8

Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom
If you're tired and you are, there is freedom
If you're tired and you are, there is freedom

Freedom Reings in this place
Showers of mercy and grace
Falling on every face
There is freedom

Jesus reings in this place
Falling on every face
There is freedom

Freedom Reings in this place
Falling on every face
There is freedom

So we lift our eyes to Jesus, there is freedom
So we lift our eyes to Jesus, there is freedom

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

What does that mean?

I started out in the Catholic Church, later I spent 8 years in AOG.

Usually mud is slinged at the RCC for its 'religion', but I saw that AOG has their own little traditions, their own little rules and little rituals.

I dont understand this 'free from religion' quote in that regard. I was just as religious in AOG as in the Catholic Church.

I don't believe that it is religion persay but that of a warped religious mind set. It is a warped or twisted attitude that a person has that tells them that their religious practices, or way of life is that which gains them access to God and gets him to love or favor them more. It's a mind set that centers on their performance rather than who they are in Christ. This is in evidence all throughout christiandom, from numerous Protestant denominations to the Anglican, RCC, and EC.

It can be seen through religious ceremonies and rituals where people make it a test for themselves, like a litmus test where people use those rituals and ceremonies as a way to settle any divide they have with God. But it's not just about rituals and ceremonies but can simply be about believing if they go to church more and stay longer, become more active in it, perform good deeds as in doing more to help the poor and the sick, etc., etc. Now all of that stuff is great and shows fruit, if done for the right reasons, but if done for the wrong reasons it's bad. God knows your heart, He knows your motivations. If you're doing those things to gain favor or love from him, He will know it and wont accept it.

James 1:27 talks about what God accepts as pure and faultless religion. When we help the needy our only motivation for doing so should be out of love for them. And the only reason why we should keep ourselves from being polluted by this world is because of our love for God and his law, not to keep you in his good graces, and certainly not to keep you saved or a child of his.

Please read my signature. I'm talking about people who, for whatever reason, have it in their minds that there is something they have to do, something they have to perform that will pay off any outstanding debts that they owe. The fact is, all debts were paid 2000 years ago, all you have to do is believe it and trust in him.

Some people have a hard time accepting that though. That is just way too easy for that to be totally true. So they use their performance as a way and means to get God back on their side.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there:wave:

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Its a phrase I have heard many times in the pentecostal church, but never worked out. 'Set free from religion', meaning coming from another denomination. But the pentecostal church always seemed to be quite religious in a way themselves.

Its sometimes thrown around at the Free Presbyterian Church, they dont allow music in their services, or the Church of Scotland, who have the minister dressed up and a lot of stand up/sit down. But what I know of pente/charis churches they have a lot of traditions, dos/donts and 'holy cows' too.

The bible does say:

James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and unstained from the world.

Maybe a verse for discussion!

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
James 1:27
Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and unstained from the world.

Maybe a verse for discussion!

And many people have added to that verse many things. ;)

There sometimes is a need in some people to want to be apart of the salvation equation but our God is a jealous God and He wants all of the glory to himself. We are his workmanship. Your performance is not apart of the equation.

I believe all that is written in that verse is good as long as you don't use those particular things you do religiously as a means to gain favor with God. He's already got your back, you needn't question that about him. The belief that your performance is apart of the equation is nothing but religion and that will get you nowhere with him.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, whether I'm going to be ignored or not I am not going to shut up. :)

Our free access to the kingdom of heaven is good news, yet people are constantly being told, or they're constantly telling themselves, that there is something that they need to be doing in order to experience what God has already given them. It is that thing they believe they have to do that is a religious mind set. It may seem a bit strange but sometimes people feel uneasy with accepting something that is totally free. They either feel they are unworthy, or they don't trust it, as in, there's always a catch. In this world that is for the most part very true, but not in God's kingdom! That is what is called evil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟9,613.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, when a group of people say that they have been set free from religion, they are usually just on the borders of crazytown. For example, during one of the Sunday night meetings the church that we used to attend, some had started to "travail" during the service. There were people carrying on like you wouldn't believe, and then our services was very little Word and a lot of crazy.

Then, when the pastor and the associate pastor were questioned about this sort of thing, we were told that they were being set free from religion through all of this. Being set free from religion is a catch phrase that was born in this new mystical "revival" that you can witness if you look it up on YouTube.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am with you. I don't understand it either.

As many of you know, I am a Catholic Charismatic.
That means I am Born Again, Spirit Filled, Bible loving, Tongue Talkng, hand waven, foot stompen, washed in the Blood of the Lamb and... Roman Catholic.

So, I would like it explained to me, too. I am a 72 year old lung cancer survivor. If there is something I am missing, someone please tell me.
"Something I am missing"

This is what I'm talking about when saying "religious mind set" or "religious attitude". Some people have it in their heads that there is something missing so people turn to doing things in hopes they fill that part that is missing.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like this post.
God reaches out to us (He calls all men unto Himself), and we respond by grabbing HIS hand. :clap:
And the overwhelming evidence shows that for alot of people, this isn't enough. They are told, or they feel, that simply reaching out and grabbing a hold of HIS hand is not enough but that they also have to do other things as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.