Senator makes a mockery of Roberts hearing.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Senator Coburn from Oklahoma, who would deliver a choked up address to the senate floor on the partisan nature of politics in America today, could not be bothered to pay attention to the Roberts hearing.

Check this out. That's right, a crossword puzzle...

You know, I think that the hearing in which you decide whether to give someone the highest judicial position in the land for life deserves a little more respect.

theeyesoftammyfaye

no parking baby - no parking on the dance floor
Nov 18, 2003
Austin, TX
Visit site
✟18,673.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
tom coburn is an idiot. as an oklahoman, i am APPALLED that he was elected. some of the comments he made while campaigning were not only asinine, but also down-right hillbilly and/or hypocritical. and his crossword puzzle playing during questioning of the man bu$h nominated to the supreme court (as chief justice, nonetheless) shows exactly how moronic this man is.

oh well, i didn't vote for him =)

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
:clap:

theeyesoftammyfaye said:
tom coburn is an idiot. as an oklahoman, i am APPALLED that he was elected. some of the comments he made while campaigning were not only asinine, but also down-right hillbilly and/or hypocritical. and his crossword puzzle playing during questioning of the man bu$h nominated to the supreme court (as chief justice, nonetheless) shows exactly how moronic this man is.

oh well, i didn't vote for him =)

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I see a newspaper opened to a crossword puzzle.
I can't tell if he has worked on it.
But if anyone has watched the coverage it gets monotonous,
and just finding a way to stay awake would be difficult.

Continuous 20 minute questions with a 30 second answer by mono-toned
beurocrats trying to make some small point that no one cares about.

The true mockery is the "Honorable" Senator Kennedy. Interupting the answer
after Roberts says 2 words. I think they should have the ability to turn off a microphone and request to clarify a question if the answer isn't what they were looking for. Not just taking up time to ask a question and continuously interrupting the person trying to answer.
How about the Senetor that said:
You are not pro-choice I can't vote for you.
A litmus test?
Choosing not to vote for a person, because he doesn;t agree with you. A first for Judicial nominees.
Yes, the some Senetors are making a mockery of the hearings, but I can forgive a person for being bored in these hearings.
I would like to be able to ask the Senetors if they knew what they just asked?
Because I don't think they even know.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The OP is a HUGE MISNOMER!!! How many people have been to government procedure hearings? There is a LOT of down time. It's not like the guy was working on it DURING the hearing.

In any case, the guy has shown more interest than 80% of America by simply being there and participating. Most Americans are completely clueless as to the significance of this and the next nomination.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Billnew said:
I see a newspaper opened to a crossword puzzle.
I can't tell if he has worked on it.
But if anyone has watched the coverage it gets monotonous,
and just finding a way to stay awake would be difficult.

Continuous 20 minute questions with a 30 second answer by mono-toned
beurocrats trying to make some small point that no one cares about.

The true mockery is the "Honorable" Senator Kennedy. Interupting the answer
after Roberts says 2 words. I think they should have the ability to turn off a microphone and request to clarify a question if the answer isn't what they were looking for. Not just taking up time to ask a question and continuously interrupting the person trying to answer.
How about the Senetor that said:
You are not pro-choice I can't vote for you.
A litmus test?
Choosing not to vote for a person, because he doesn;t agree with you. A first for Judicial nominees.
Yes, the some Senetors are making a mockery of the hearings, but I can forgive a person for being bored in these hearings.
I would like to be able to ask the Senetors if they knew what they just asked?
Because I don't think they even know.

I saw this on the daily show yesterday, only Stewart had a better picture than this random blog guy. In Stewart's picture, the crossword was on a book on his crossed leg, it was priceless. If you would like to, you should watch the re-run of the previous day's daily show.

But seriously, how can you defend a senator doing a crossword puzzle during the confirmation hearings for chief justice of the supreme court? It was the first day! I have to go sit through all SORTS of boring things while still absorbing the information being conveyed
V E R Y S L O W L Y

He should be embarassed, even high school students can pay attention for one day.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I <3 Abraham said:
But seriously, how can you defend a senator doing a crossword puzzle during the confirmation hearings for chief justice of the supreme court? It was the first day! I have to go sit through all SORTS of boring things while still absorbing the information being conveyed
V E R Y S L O W L Y

He should be embarassed, even high school students can pay attention for one day.

At least he was there.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neverstop said:
The OP is a HUGE MISNOMER!!!
nitpick: it wouldn't be a misnomer. A misnomer is giving something a name that is other than what it is. "The Big Bang" is an example of a misnomer. This OP, if you were correct would be an example of forming the wrong conclusion.

How many people have been to government procedure hearings? There is a LOT of down time. It's not like the guy was working on it DURING the hearing.
On the Daily Show last night, they showed a video of the Senator doing the crossword puzzle. While the video was brief and not too clear, it did seem as though he was doing it while the proceedings were going on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:
It takes a fair degree of intelligence to be able to solve a crossword puzzle.

lol. I've only completed one crossword puzzle on my own. Most of the time I get more than half of it. I hate it when I get most of it done except for a corner and I know that if I can just figure out one answer, I'll be able to get the other ones. But I never seem to get the asnwer.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
MethodMan said:
At least he was there.

It's his job to be there! I can't go around telling people that the budget work I do is the most monumentally important thing to hit the world since the a-bomb then say "at least I was there" when they question how important the work I do is when I am CLEARLY not wearing pants at the time!

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I <3 Abraham said:
It's his job to be there! I can't go around telling people that the budget work I do is the most monumentally important thing to hit the world since the a-bomb then say "at least I was there" when they question how important the work I do is when I am CLEARLY not wearing pants at the time!

So why is it ok for Kennedy, Biden & Leahy continually leave the hearing while Republican Senators are questioning Roberts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
MethodMan said:
So why is it ok for Kennedy, Biden & Leahy continually leave the hearing while Republican Senators are questioning Roberts?

Did I say that it was okay? Did I hold up those senators as paragons of manly virtue and stick-to-it-iveness? So why are you asking me hypothetical questions?

Also, source? I gave you a link with photographic evidence so you could see for yourself. Do you have any evidence in addition to your method, man?

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
kermit said:
Didn't they leave for a vote?

They were all gone at the same time? How come the Rebublican Senators were able to hang around?

Leahy & Kennedy were notably abscent for Grassly's 30 minutes.

Upvote 0

DentalMac

Jul 28, 2003
✟237.00
Faith
Atheist
Neverstop said:
The OP is a HUGE MISNOMER!!! How many people have been to government procedure hearings? There is a LOT of down time. It's not like the guy was working on it DURING the hearing.

In any case, the guy has shown more interest than 80% of America by simply being there and participating. Most Americans are completely clueless as to the significance of this and the next nomination.

I'm part of that 80%. I wasn't there because I was working, unlike some people...4 letter word beginning with W...

The crossword isn't the worst of it. The senator gave a tearful speach in which he said we need "less mindless partisanship which at times sounds almost hateful to the ear of Americans."

Too bad he forgot that he said:

"The gay community is the greatest threat to our freedom that we face today."

"I favor the death penalty for abortionists."

The senator's tearfull call for less partisanship "is a HUGE MISNOMER!!! "

Upvote 0