United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Washington DC, Aug 20, 2008 / 05:13 pm (CNA).-
Contradicting earlier reports that presumptive Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain was considering a running mate supportive of legalized abortion, new reports claim the candidate is no longer contemplating choosing pro-choice former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge.

Ridge, the first homeland security secretary, was believed to have been a leading contender for the Republican vice-presidential slot and was the only such one reported to favor abortion rights.

Citing sources at the Republican National Convention, Fox News reports that senior McCain advisers and aides say McCain “got the message” that such a choice would not help his presidential campaign.

The National Review magazine on Monday reported that McCain campaign staff has been contacting key state Republican officials around the U.S. to evaluate the prospects of placing an abortion rights supporter on the ticket.

Continued- http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=13584

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,073,197.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Washington DC, Aug 20, 2008 / 05:13 pm (CNA).-

Continued- http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=13584

Given McCain's age, there is a better than average chance that he would only serve one term (if elected) or that he might not complete a whole term due to age or disability (because Reagan most likely had early signs of Alzheimers during his Presidency, the country will be watching McCain closely for signs of memory lapses, etc.)

There's a better than average chance that whoever he picks for VP would succeed him (if he is elected.)

I like McCain better than I like most Republicans. I don't think he really intended to select a pro-choice VP, but I think he was letting the Party know that he's not going to pick the kind of candidate they would have wanted running in the first place....

If he would pick Huckabee, I would consider voting for him. First of all, Huckabee is a moderate who takes in the information he receives and actually takes it to heart (of course, he actually has a heart, unlike a number of Republicans.) He's evangelical and pro-life, but he doesn't let himself be led around by the nose by the Religious Right.

He was President of the National Governor's Association, a leader among leaders.

His deficit is that he's from Arkansas, a state McCain is projected to win easily, because almost all the Arkansas Democrats wanted Hillary to be the nominee.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm thinking McCain really wants Pawlenty to be his running mate... A Minnesota man... LOL Good luck to McCain. It seems Minnesota doesn't have too much luck when it comes to these things. Mondale was the last one to run for a Vice President ticket... can't remember who the person was running for President... (my bad... a senior moment.)

Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟14,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Mondale was Carter's VP and owned the Democratic ticket in 1984.

I saw this monday and thanked all the others that helped email John Sydney McCain not to choose a Pro Abortion VP or risk loosing our support. In a Monday news story it said that McCain has ruled it out.

Upvote 0

AetheriusLamia

Aug 13, 2007
Region or City
✟10,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bah. I want to say, "Good, we need less politicians supportive of abortion," but at the same time, saying that would encourage the idea that their position on it is significant: the issue of abortion should be left to the states. What a president or vice president thinks of it should be completely insignificant.

... and this thread belongs in the Politics board -- or is it listed in both? Does this site do that?

Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟14,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Bah. I want to say, "Good, we need less politicians supportive of abortion," but at the same time, saying that would encourage the idea that their position on it is significant: the issue of abortion should be left to the states. What a president or vice president thinks of it should be completely insignificant.

... and this thread belongs in the Politics board -- or is it listed in both? Does this site do that?
It most certainly matters. It is the President that nominates the Supreme court justices that rule on the constitutionality of the subject. It is the president that pushes a budget that will federally fund the murderous act. It is the president that can send bills through congress to retract laws that are in place that protect babies from the partial birth killing methods once used.

So as you see, Barak Hussein Obama, if he was elected president, would have a huge oppertunity to promote the murder of millions of more babies all in the name of the American Taxpayer and Voter.

Enough of it! For real progress to protect the unborn babies, vote John Sydney McCain!

Let's Raise Some McCain!

Upvote 0

AetheriusLamia

Aug 13, 2007
Region or City
✟10,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For real progress to protect the unborn babies, vote John Sydney McCain!

Let's Raise Some McCain!
That part of your post is very odd. o_O; Also, you left off "the Third". If you're going to say his full name, then say his full name: don't leave off the "III". ... and Obama's first name has a 'c' in it.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That part of your post is very odd. o_O; Also, you left off "the Third". If you're going to say his full name, then say his full name: don't leave off the "III". ... and Obama's first name has a 'c' in it.

I'm guessing he's just doing that so he'll have an excuse to write Obama's middle name as well.

As for McCain - he's the only republican I kind of appreciate; not that I would ever vote for him even if I could, but I do hope he'll choose his running mate carefully and sensibly and doesn't pick one of those Limbaughesque evangelical loudmouths in an attempt to woo the conservative base.

Also, I'm going to try to use the word Limbaughesque some more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The analysis I've heard that his choice would be Pawlenty if he thought he could win by playing it safe and Lieberman if he thought he needed to throw a Hail Mary pass.

I think Obama has a more dynamic set of choices. By dynamic I mean in the personality way and in the potential to swing people from undecided to him. I'm not saying that is good or not, but most of the Republican field does little to add variety in a way that does not divide as much as it draws.

One thing is that even if she would do it, Condi Rice would be a bad choice now because it helps draw connection to the Bush administration and it would be like writing 6 free campaign ads for the opposition and driving home a point they want to make a daily issue. And that goes for anyone too connected to the administration. It was a good move by the Democrats because it narrowed McCain's choices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think the Bush administration made itself radioactive all by itself.

Well yes, but the attempt to either draw or strengthen (depending on your view) the connection between them and McCain was a good strategy politically speaking. It counteracts the reputation that McCain has with non-aligned voters of going against his party. And it sets him up as the opposite of Obama's message of change. No matter where someone agrees with all that as being true, it is a solid strategy that has even effected the slate of VP choices for McCain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.