Selling stuff in church

Status
Not open for further replies.

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
There's no Biblical admonition against selling things in church.

Some ministries, such as Key Life, sell some items to defray the cost of giving so many other things away for free.

The point behind the incident in John isn't that Jesus is condemning selling things in church, but what is being sold and how it is being sold.

The incident occurred while pilgrims were coming to the temple, often from hundreds of miles away.

Because they were traveling, they did not always have access to the sacrificial animals and sometimes had to buy them at the temple.

This was a common and accepted practice. However, these particular vendors were taking advantage of the desire of the pilgrims to keep the law.

Because they knew that the pilgrims needed these animals to fulfill their religious obligations, they were charging outrageous prices for them and selling them unacceptable sacrifices.

This is what Jesus was condemning.

Now, while it's not wrong for us to sell things in church today, we do need to be careful that we don't sell them in the same spirit.

Upvote 0

Bruce101

Oct 16, 2004
Southern United States
✟16,159.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
12volt_man said:
There's no Biblical admonition against selling things in church.

Some ministries, such as Key Life, sell some items to defray the cost of giving so many other things away for free.

The point behind the incident in John isn't that Jesus is condemning selling things in church, but what is being sold and how it is being sold.

The incident occurred while pilgrims were coming to the temple, often from hundreds of miles away.

Because they were traveling, they did not always have access to the sacrificial animals and sometimes had to buy them at the temple.

This was a common and accepted practice. However, these particular vendors were taking advantage of the desire of the pilgrims to keep the law.

Because they knew that the pilgrims needed these animals to fulfill their religious obligations, they were charging outrageous prices for them and selling them unacceptable sacrifices.

This is what Jesus was condemning.

Now, while it's not wrong for us to sell things in church today, we do need to be careful that we don't sell them in the same spirit.

To add to an already good explanation.
In Deut.14 they are told to keep back part of thier tithes to finance trips to Jerusalem in keeping the required Holy Days. So they would be spending the money that is God's portion to do this. Not a problem because it was a commandment. However, to charge usury for this is a major problem. They were not robbing their fellow Jews, but God.
That would give a deeper punch to the part where Jesus says that you have made the house a house of robbers and thieves.

Bruce

Upvote 0

swifteagle

Prophetic ~ Intercessor ~ Warrior!
May 27, 2005
Willow Creek, California
Visit site
✟15,836.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
e=mv^2 said:
Is it ok to sell items in church? Does John 2:16 forbid the sale of goods in or by the church?

Hey e=mv^2, is that a pancake on the head of that rabbit?

LOL

I just HAVE to know!!!

swifteagle ><>

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟56,960.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
George_4JC said:
A Christian Church is strictly a house of worship and prayer.
A place of Holy celebration and sanctification.
Any other activity held within its confines is a desecration of a Christian church.

I agrea bout that.God sy that he give us what we need and Jesus explain when he said (I don`t remember the verses) don`t God give the birds food andflowers what the need.We are more presure to Him then are....
Do you know what I thinking about

Upvote 0

Shakon

May 30, 2005
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think it's a matter of what the money is used for... If it's just to the church elders for their own gain, then it's wrong. But if the money is to go towards missions and things like that, then I think it's okay... That and it depends on what the Church is selling... like, Christian CDs and veggie tales, that sort of thing is alright... but you know, anything that the Lord would find displeasing should NEVER be sold.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
George_4JC said:
A Christian Church is strictly a house of worship and prayer.
A place of Holy celebration and sanctification.
Any other activity held within its confines is a desecration of a Christian church.
Say's who? Everything remotely resembling a church service in the NT, including the last supper itself, occurs in a building intended and used for some other purpose. So, having decided it's more convenient to have a purpose built building to worship in, why would you decide that it couldn't be used for some other purpose as well, so long as that purpose is not contrary to Christ's purposes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

humbledbyhim

Oct 27, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
✟932.00
Faith
Christian
e=mv^2 said:
Is it ok to sell items in church? Does John 2:16 forbid the sale of goods in or by the church?

We all know that Christ went buck wild when people tried to make a profit from others' desire to hear the word of God. I believe that as long as the funds are being used to help the Body of Christ or the needy, then the sale of things is ok. However, if the purpose of selling is to make a profit, then I do not believe that it is appropriate.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
e=mv^2 said:

Churches today are not synagogs and since Jesus did not found the not-for-profit religious corporations we call "church" today that verse is not applicable to churches.

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I think it's just another example of the "marketing" approach to Christianity we see so often today.

There are several churches in my area that have bookstores and/or coffee shops within their confines. Yes, I believe it's wrong. Profiteering has no place in the house of God.

Upvote 0

amx

Oct 7, 2005
The South
✟636.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about the church that holds service in a mall? They've rented a store front and they get out of church about the same time that the rest of the mall opens. It's pretty convient for the parishioners because the food court is right there and you don't have to worry about beating the baptists to Shoneys.
If having a Starbucks in the lobby of a church brings in additional funds and people why shouldn't the church do this? The funds can go to assisting the church fill the great commision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
amx said:
What about the church that holds service in a mall? They've rented a store front and they get out of church about the same time that the rest of the mall opens. It's pretty convient for the parishioners because the food court is right there and you don't have to worry about beating the baptists to Shoneys.
If having a Starbucks in the lobby of a church brings in additional funds and people why shouldn't the church do this? The funds can go to assisting the church fill the great commision.

What about the 2nd and 4th Commandments?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.