Self Pleasure is a sin - the simple explanation.

Danielof the Island

May 31, 2005
✟415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I have seen big, long posts about why self pleasure is a sin going as far as endless Bible qoutes. All of that is good, but I recently came to a very simplified conclussion.
  1. Self pleasure is to have sex with your self.
  2. Premarrital sex is a sin.
  3. Self pleasure is a sin, since it's effectively premarrital sex.
  4. Wait until you're married!
Thoughts?

Adriac

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
✟16,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Danielof the Island said:
I have seen big, long posts about why self pleasure is a sin going as far as endless Bible qoutes. All of that is good, but I recently came to a very simplified conclussion.

If you can pull that off, I think you've earned it.

Upvote 0

Jacob4Jesus

Dork For Jesus and Proud of It
Sep 18, 2003
Wauconda, IL
✟3,922.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Adriac said:
If you can pull that off, I think you've earned it.

:eek:

But in response to the post, I think that God has reasons for making certain things sins. I don't think it's as simple as saying "This is a sin."

For example hypothetically:

God decides that premarital sex is a sin. Why? Perhaps because the likelyhood of pregnancy. God might want the child to have his father and mother in a loving union because that might be best for the child.

If this were the case (I am not saying it is, just giving an example), then saying masturbation is premarital sex would not really be true.

In my opinion, if God wanted to make masturbation a sin, he would have probably said it is one. I don't think an eternal entity would have let it slip his mind.

Reactions: platzapS
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a christian I am happy for christians to believe masturbation is a sin and therefore for them to abstain from it. i however don't agree with that and don't believe the bible says that. The bible does say though that if you think something is wrong then it is a sin for you to do that. So from a christian perspective it can be wrong for some people but not for all. I'm happy to let people have their opinion as long as they don't start calling me a sinner for it.

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thoughts?
themarriagebed.com has a good piece on masturbation. It includes plenty of reasons why you shouldn't do it but concludes it is not inherently sinful. Just another POV.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts?

One of the issues I have always had with Christianity is the idea that an all powerful god who created this huge universe with such diverse wonders would give a flying fig what I do with the reproductive apparatus that he assigned me. Some people want to make their gods very small and petty for some reason. :(

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Thoughts?
My thoughts are that it's not worth worrying about.

I think people just like thinking about/talking about sexual things but since you have people telling you it's sinful you can only speak in the negative about it. But speak you will because it's just something you can't get your mind off of! LOL! People are funny.

Upvote 0

momalle1

Veteran
Sep 27, 2005
✟10,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TheDag said:
As a christian I am happy for christians to believe masturbation is a sin and therefore for them to abstain from it. i however don't agree with that and don't believe the bible says that. The bible does say though that if you think something is wrong then it is a sin for you to do that. So from a christian perspective it can be wrong for some people but not for all. I'm happy to let people have their opinion as long as they don't start calling me a sinner for it.

Ditto. Also, why do Christians quote the OT? It's only there to show how we came to grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adriac

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
✟16,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ryal Kane said:
I'm an atheist. If masturbation is a sin, well I'm going to hell for my beliefs anyway. So I may as well enjoy the ride.

And while we're on that train, this means premarital sex is no worse than masturbation, so... ;)

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sexual reproduction is defined as the fusion of two or gametes. Narrowly defined, sex must be the act that results in (or might potentially result in) sexual reproduction. Loosely defined, sex might be oral, anal or manual, but two or more people are always involved. I would say masturbation is not sex by even the most charitable of definitions.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,761.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The bible does say though that if you think something is wrong then it is a sin for you to do that
I'm sorry.
I don't think i've ever read that anywhere.
could you put a verse up?

I HAVE read:
"Everything is permissible for me"—but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"—but I will not be mastered by anything.

So how do you consider the two together?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
rambot said:
I'm sorry.
I don't think i've ever read that anywhere.
could you put a verse up?

Romans 14:14 is what I base it on. it says
NIV said:
As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thoughts?

But why is premarital sex a sin? If it has to do with the irresponsibility of having a child outside of wedlock, for instance, then masturbation clearly wouldn't be a problem, and therefore not a sin.

Okay, here's another argument, though not a very good one:

1. Self-pleasure is to have sex with a member of your own sex.
2. Having sex with a member of your own sex is a sin.
3. Therefore, self-pleasure is a sin.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Jacob4Jesus said:
In my opinion, if God wanted to make masturbation a sin, he would have probably said it is one. I don't think an eternal entity would have let it slip his mind.

I don't think masturbation in and of itself would be a sin; it's the thoughts running through the mind that are the sin.

Upvote 0