• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Self-harming

Cerulean_Butterfly

Learning to fly...
Feb 25, 2004
In your closet... Armed. =P =D
✟33,635.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
angeliquewood said:
Wooo and Hooo!!! I found a list. A long list LOL!

1) Draw
2) Write Poems

3) Write stories
4) Go on a walk
5) Clean your room
6) Organize something you have a lot of
7) Bake something
8) Sleep

9)PLay an instrument
10)Go shopping
11)Shower
12) Read/study
13)Computer
14) Talk on the phone

15)Sew
16)Go through/clean your closet
17)Paint Your nails
18)Color
19)Design a dream house
20)Video games
21)Get a job
22)Make a construction papaer chain until any event
23)Chores
24)Build a card house
25)Reaarange your room
26)Make jewelry
27)Make dinner
28)Crochet
29)Write an alternative ending to a story
30)Widdle
31)Doodle
32)Color by Number
33)Read old diaries/journals (Unless there might be triggers!)
34)Write in a diary/journal
35)Do our homework
36)Do Extra Credit
37)Make a plushie
38) Decorate your walls
39)Paper maché
40)Write a story, Dr. Seuss style
41)Hemp bracelets/necklaces
42)GIve yourself a henna tattoo
43)Do a puzzle
44)Go to a friends house
45)Draw yourself in MS Paint
46)Make a picture on your wall out of duct tape
47)Make a wire rose (Take wire from a spiral notebook, use 1/3-1/2 for a spiral type shape then take the remainder, go down about 4-6 inches, fold it back up and make thorns. If I get the chance I take a picture of one that I made to give you all a better idea if you're interested enough)
48)Write a letter
49)Grow a garden
50)Find out how to put 8 queens on a cheesboard without any of them being able to kill each other (There are 92 possible ways to do this)
51)Write a parody
52)Write an autobiography
53)Write a song
54)Make a gratitude list (Things you're thankful for)
55)Wash a car
56)Give your pets a bath
57)Write out the soundtrack to your life if it were a movie
58)Create your own cartoon characters
59)Brain teasers
60)Make a wishlist
61)Read an old story
62)Go through a photo album
63)Get rid of all the stuff you don't need)
64)Go bowling
65)Mini golf
66)Play chess
67)Create a secret code
68)Create a new holiday...
70)...celebrate it
71)Make prank calls
72)Watch TV/A Movie
73)Write a musical
74)Go to a movie
75)E-bay =D
76)Make a collage
77)Look at constellations
78)Decorate your pants with sharpie
79)Draw your own comic
80)Dye your hair
81)Make a scrapbook
82)Count all your change
83)Meditate
84)Take pictures

85)Get into a sport
86)Friendship bracelets
87)Have a garage sale
88)Macaroni art
89)Play your favorite song by ear
90)Clean the house
91)Knit
92)Start collecting somethign
93)Laundry
94)Make a Tshirt
95)Make a website
96)Volenteer somewhere
97)Join Drama; memorize your lines
98)RPG
99)Go through your clothes, give odl ones to Goodwill
100)Fingerpaint
101)Go on a drive
102)Go to an arcade
103)Go to a playground
104)Make an avatar/buddy icon
105)Make a wallpaper/desktop
106)Make up a legend
107)Origami
108)Cover something in duct tape
109)Play in the snow
110)Have a debate
111)Look for pictures in the clouds
112)Go on a bike ride
113)Smash a watermelon
114)Go to the store
115)Clean the under of your bed
116)Learn how to make balloon animals
117)Take an aromatherapy bath
118)Do some of those ideas on the back of a Crayola crayon box
119)Waste money at the dollar store
120)Read a newspaper
121)Watch the Spanish channel and improvise your own translations
122)Make a construction paper chain of the days it's been since you alst cut (add one every day)
123)Rubiks cbe
124)Acrostics
125)Cut your own hair
126)Climb a tree
127)Clean out your junk drawer
128)Tie letters to balloons, fill them up with helium and launch them off

The bold is what I've done. It worked at the time. Just don't use the same thing too much... it gets old and it eventually stops working.

Also... don't ALWAYS expect it to work... because if it doesnt... you get even more upset with yourself afterwards... so just tell yourself "I hope this works... if it does... great... but if it doesnt... i can't get mad at myself." :) Just something to help.

Another thing that works is the 15 minute game. Tell yourself you will wait 15 minutes to SI. If you still want to... you'll let yourself. Go the 15 minutes... and see if you can go another 15. If you don't think you can do it... try a different distracting method. If that still doesn't work... allow yourself to cut MINORLY and reward yourself for actually making progress by holding off.

^^ This process works becuase by making yourself wait... you are reducing the trigger... therefore causing you to calm down and cut more mildly or not at all. Eventually, you will be able to go longer without SIing (or even forget about the trigger) and maybe even be able to calm a trigger almost immediatly without using a self- inflicting act. This doesnt work for everyone. But it's worth a shot.

-Jo. :hug:

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
butxifxnot said:
Okay, I'm sorry if I'm being sardonic in any way, but what good does self-harm do? Relieve guilt? Make you feel better? Since when has the bible taught us to act based on feelings? The only time even remotely acting on feelings is when you feel your conscience telling you that something you are doing it wrong, and that is the 'word of the Lord written' on your heart. If you still have a heavy conscience as a Christian that drives you to harm God's temple, go back to the cross and start over with your faith, because something major is wrong. Please read this realizing there is no malice intended and do not respond with the attitude that I am being judgmental; I am just being straightforward.

It makes every go away, like doing drugs or being really drunk. Makes you feel good, makes you numb. It punishes you for things you feel you did as a child, and continue to do. It makes all the anger go away.....makes you feel safe again, grounded. Cutting is yours, no one can take that way from you....like everything and everyone else was taken away from you......

Upvote 0

Cerulean_Butterfly

Learning to fly...
Feb 25, 2004
✟33,635.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Bams481 said:
It makes every go away, like doing drugs or being really drunk. Makes you feel good, makes you numb. It punishes you for things you feel you did as a child, and continue to do. It makes all the anger go away.....makes you feel safe again, grounded. Cutting is yours, no one can take that way from you....like everything and everyone else was taken away from you......

I like that^^^. I really, really like that. That's the best explanation I've heard. :hug:

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
extreme_love_4_GOD said:
I like that^^^. I really, really like that. That's the best explanation I've heard. :hug:

More people need to know about this....this is something that affects about 30 percent of teenagers....and it is hidden, taboo....We are misunderstood, people can't see why we want to to this to ourselves....I think if more people understood, it would be easier to talk about, and easier to stop.....

Upvote 0

Cerulean_Butterfly

Learning to fly...
Feb 25, 2004
✟33,635.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Bams481 said:
More people need to know about this....this is something that affects about 30 percent of teenagers....and it is hidden, taboo....We are misunderstood, people can't see why we want to to this to ourselves....I think if more people understood, it would be easier to talk about, and easier to stop.....
I definetly agree. SI awarness day is March 1st. So maybe we should do something... even if it's just a little thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notworthknowing

Jan 23, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
✟1,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
melaniew said:
I can't cope i stopped doing it for like a week now im bk home i ahve done it 3 times every night:( help me i might die one day

Hi Melanie

Just wanted to invite you to come into the Self Injury Support Forum... we all understand and are going thru the same thing. Its a very caring and supportive forum.

here is the link
http://www.christianforums.com/f478-self-injury-support.html

People care about you, you are special!

Love,
Kaitie

Upvote 0

Godsgirl481

The Dark Wolf
Jul 13, 2004
✟20,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
notworthknowing said:
Hi Melanie

Just wanted to invite you to come into the Self Injury Support Forum... we all understand and are going thru the same thing. Its a very caring and supportive forum.

here is the link
http://www.christianforums.com/f478-self-injury-support.html

People care about you, you are special!

Love,
Kaitie

I took a trip in there but could not handle it, very triggering

Upvote 0

Faith In God

A little FIG is all we need...
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
✟36,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
melaniew said:
I can't cope i stopped doing it for like a week now im bk home i ahve done it 3 times every night:( help me i might die one day
Sixth commandment. You need an escape? Instead of turning to SI, pray and immerse yourself in God's word, thinking of nothing else and see if that works. If you think of nothing but God, there's not room for much else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

macspetra

Jul 5, 2004
Saskatchewan
✟15,900.00
Faith
Methodist
I don't know if this helps, but someone suggested to me once that when you feel really depressed and alone, that sometimes the best thing you can do is go help someone else that is needy. Maybe focusing on someone else will help you release some of your own pain and depression.
My heart cries out for you as I read your postings. I want to come fix it for you btu I know I never could. Only God can.
:prayer: God you know what melaniew needs and everyone else who reads her cries. I just ask right now that you make yourself so evident within her life. Give her a big sign, something so unmistakabley you. Touch her and heal her wounds and the pain within her soul. You are the Great Physician.:prayer:

Upvote 0