South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are many in the black American community who are homophobic as well. They would point out the Bible and say that homosexuality is wrong according to scripture, which I understand. Some of them seem to be more vocal about homosexuality than any other topic. There are black people who are poor, illiterate, and are being deceived by false preachers. There are the issues of crime, poverty, and education that affects all groups, but seem to disproportionately effect black Americans. Many of us are suffering from the effects of obesity, and many have become HIV positive and have died of AIDS. Have most black preachers preached on that? Where are they?

Why such a public strong stance on homosexuality and seeming silence from some of the same preachers on the aforementioned issues? I am concerned about our nation but especially for black Americans, some of whom came from single parent and broken homes and some young black males who are killing themselves. (I meant no harm in mentioning the single parents, but in some cases, many children either don't know their mothers or their fathers.) There are people who believe that black men are becoming an endangered species. This last sentence worries me. Is there anyone here who thinks I am wrong about this? Am I the only one noticing the hypocrisy of some of the preachers here? How do I personally pray for and witness to the black community where we too have those issues of our own? I want to know the truth.

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just guessing but there may be 3 reasons.
1. They were taught that it is wrong and that God annihilated cities for doing it so they just dont want us to get bar-b-qued.
2. They have bought into a deceiving doctrine of demons to hate other people for this reason.
3. People that are guilty of something are often very adamant and vocal about how bad it really is.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am pretty sure racism is taught. We will have a natural tendency to be cautious around people who are very different from us but not to the point of hating, suppressing or killing them.
That comes from the evil one.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am pretty sure racism is taught. We will have a natural tendency to be cautious around people who are very different from us but not to the point of hating, suppressing or killing them.
That comes from the evil one.
I agree that racism is taught, but so are hypocritical attitudes. It is a shame that there is so much racism, homophobia (outright hatred of those of the LGBT community IMO), and hypocrisy in the black church, especially. It amazes me that our roots are a mix of African and Christian beliefs and that our culture are rooted in those beliefs. (I have read somewhere that the slaves were not a group of meek and mild pushovers who were lost. They saw many white Christians as hypocrites especially. I wonder how our ancestors would view us in America today. Would they also see us as hypocritical as they saw some whites? ) I cannot say for sure about those in the black church of the past, but how did we stray so far even though that could be a symptom of the US Church in general it seems? It is true that the black church in general does not accept the LGBT community compared to other communities, I think if homosexuality is a sin then the gospels need to be preached and reached to the LGBT community. It is one thing to not accept or agree with the LGBT community but to not be a Christian towards an LGBT person is wrong. I wonder if that would also be an example or symptom or the problems in the church. The problems in the church (any, but I am only referring to the black church) is emblematic of what is wrong with much of black America. It is as if while well meaning, many in the LGBT are leaving the church while much of what is going on in the church and the black American communities at large are not either examined or not called out on. I also think that those in the black church need to teach, preach, and not leech on the members from their pulpits for they too will be judged just like the LGBT community.

Upvote 0

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I've been told that homosexuality is a white problem. Ditto gender confusion etc. I've been told this by people of African decent, and people of Asian decent (though not South East Asians, who are actually quite tolerant of such things). It's an especially common viewpoint in religious subgroups of same.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been told that homosexuality is a white problem.
Meaning what exactly? Only whites are homosexuals? Or only whites have a problem with people being gay?

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Meaning what exactly? Only whites are homosexuals? Or only whites have a problem with people being gay?

There was a video about that and one of the points that was made, not I agree with this because I don't is that homosexuality isn't like racial oppression which I believe is true. The last part of the video was rather racist. It mentioned that homosexuality is the new black but the old white. It showed a picture or two about a gay white couple. It could easy be misconstrued as rather rude, but more so as racist.

Onto more of my topic:
I know it seems that I am like a broken record and I guess it is the case.
I know that it is not necessarily a thing about just black people but I do wonder if it affects all races and ethnicities equally or more so? Even though most black people in the US have become a part of the US upper or middle class, unemployment among young men has a disproportionate effect on them. I am not a fan of the social gospel, but why are there many preachers of all colors who are silent on many fronts? Like I said, I am concerned with the state of the church of this nation, but I am also concerned with the black community. Specifically there is racism from other blacks, violence even in the churches, and false teaching in the church. How come some of those same preachers, especially in the megachurches preach about those things? I recall a preacher who invited a member of the Nation of Islam into the church. Needless to say, much of what he said was quite disturbing. I hope that he will do more than make a speech about how evil white people are instead of what some ancestors have done. The preacher even said that the worst thing that ever happened was the division of the black family because of slavery. That would be an example of not just merely false teaching, but an example of false information. The black family, nuclear or extended, survived after slavery.

I think that it is sad that any preacher would lie like that in any church. There is too much megachurch and money being passed around the church instead of preaching the true gospel. I am afraid for the US church, even black churches. I would like to think that all churches be integrated but that is not what will happens in reality. Anyways, I think that there is also too much hypocrisy even in all US churches. There are many who will point out false teaching of other churches, but rarely will they, black and white churches, will call out anything besides homosexuality. Christ died for homosexuals as well regardless of what we believe about it. Anyways, I believe that the reason why church attendance is falling, especially among men, esp. black men, is because it seems many churches are short sighted or focused on just homosexuality or something else. I noticed that some black preachers especially are not silent on homosexuality but seem silent on other matters. Why is that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are many in the black American community who are homophobic as well. They would point out the Bible and say that homosexuality is wrong according to scripture, which I understand. Some of them seem to be more vocal about homosexuality than any other topic. There are black people who are poor, illiterate, and are being deceived by false preachers. There are the issues of crime, poverty, and education that affects all groups, but seem to disproportionately effect black Americans. Many of us are suffering from the effects of obesity, and many have become HIV positive and have died of AIDS. Have most black preachers preached on that? Where are they?

Why such a public strong stance on homosexuality and seeming silence from some of the same preachers on the aforementioned issues? I am concerned about our nation but especially for black Americans, some of whom came from single parent and broken homes and some young black males who are killing themselves. (I meant no harm in mentioning the single parents, but in some cases, many children either don't know their mothers or their fathers.) There are people who believe that black men are becoming an endangered species. This last sentence worries me. Is there anyone here who thinks I am wrong about this? Am I the only one noticing the hypocrisy of some of the preachers here? How do I personally pray for and witness to the black community where we too have those issues of our own? I want to know the truth.

Perhaps they feel like it's a losing battle to address those things.

"Several religious leaders from local black churches were present at the town hall. Religious organizations can play a big role in spreading knowledge about health, but culture and stigma have proven to be barriers." (emphasis mine).

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/vital-signs/os-hiv-aids-town-hall-20160208-story.html

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

bhayes

Jesus is Lord.
Dec 13, 2012
Canada
✟43,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I dont know where you get your information from, probably youtube, but I dont understand why you make the claim that "black american churches" preach more against homosexuality then against social issues. I think the recent issue of homosexuality has happened in the past few years, yet the injustice you speak of has been happening since they were brought to America as slaves. So that is ingrained in black american history, and is systemic. The issue of homosexuality is recent, so there will be more spoken against it which you will find because it is a recent topic. IT doesn't mean that they are still not bringing up issues of education, police abuse etc. By the way homosexuality is a sin. If your problem is that the black church don't care enough about homosexuals (whichever youtube video you got that from) I suggest you head to a black church and speak with the pastor.

Also on your quote that you say the black man is becoming an endangered species is false. A species is an organism that only mates inside its population without other groups, black people can mate with whites, who can mate with chinese, who can mate with indian. There is only one species, the human species created by God. You are upset about the black church supposedly alienating gays yet in your post you show lack of understanding and are alienating the black church from the rest of the body of Christ. I doubt as well you have ever been to a black church, or possibly have a black friend for that matter. I am noticing your hypocrisy.

Reactions: quietpraiyze
Upvote 0

bhayes

Jesus is Lord.
Dec 13, 2012
Canada
✟43,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find it somewhat strange that some black people oppose same sex marriage, when interracial marriage was legalised not that long ago.

So you are saying that being black is equivalent to being a homosexual, because it was illegal to marry different races just like it was illegal for homosexuals to marry, therefore blacks shouldn't oppose homosexuality because "they were once just like them"? That would make sense if it was a sin to be black, but its not. As a christian, one opposes homosexuality because it is a sin, plain and simple, its in the bible. I am not sure where skin color comes into it, Lik3 brought it up because they suppose that the black church in america (as if it is one massive congregation) preaches against homosexuality (As they should, just like the "white church" in America, and the "yellow church", and the "Red church", and the "green chruch", and the "pink church"). Please watch this video paradoxum :

Lik3 I will leave you with this:

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." - Galatians 3:28-29

Skin color is irrelevant, and the more you bring it up the more you alienate others. I hope you can understand that. God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I dont know where you get your information from, probably youtube, but I dont understand why you make the claim that "black american churches" preach more against homosexuality then against social issues. I think the recent issue of homosexuality has happened in the past few years, yet the injustice you speak of has been happening since they were brought to America as slaves. So that is ingrained in black american history, and is systemic. The issue of homosexuality is recent, so there will be more spoken against it which you will find because it is a recent topic. IT doesn't mean that they are still not bringing up issues of education, police abuse etc. By the way homosexuality is a sin. If your problem is that the black church don't care enough about homosexuals (whichever youtube video you got that from) I suggest you head to a black church and speak with the pastor.

Also on your quote that you say the black man is becoming an endangered species is false. A species is an organism that only mates inside its population without other groups, black people can mate with whites, who can mate with chinese, who can mate with indian. There is only one species, the human species created by God. You are upset about the black church supposedly alienating gays yet in your post you show lack of understanding and are alienating the black church from the rest of the body of Christ. I doubt as well you have ever been to a black church, or possibly have a black friend for that matter. I am noticing your hypocrisy.

Actually, I am a black person who has black friends and has been to a black church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I am a black person who has black friends and has been to a black church.
I read your OP carefully and knew that you were black already. Score one for reading carefully! :D

My friend posted this recently and I actually watched the whole lecture. I don't remember if it specifically deals much with your topic, but in a broad sense I think it may be helpful. I consider myself to be enlightened (somewhat!) about race, and much of this was quite eye opening for me.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
I think maybe the reason black pastors don't talk about obesity is because many of them are. If they condemned obesity, which isn't a sin but gluttony is, they'd be condemning their own selves.

Meanwhile, I think the reason homosexuality and trans issues are discussed even in black churches is because those are two communities that are actively pursuing and being granted rights that are able to contrast and oppose the Christian community teaching about the sin factor . And those who are opposed in thought or belief, by law.
Posting this one for comic relief...and it's much more on topic.

Jesus told us there would be false teachers appearing in the land.

The truth is, for a number of years now anal cancer is a definite factor in homosexual males. Two medical articles were published back in 2012. I won't link it but there is an article entitled, The Next Gay Plague: Anal Cancer.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟725,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I read your OP carefully and knew that you were black already. Score one for reading carefully! :D

My friend posted this recently and I actually watched the whole lecture. I don't remember if it specifically deals much with your topic, but in a broad sense I think it may be helpful. I consider myself to be enlightened (somewhat!) about race, and much of this was quite eye opening for me.

I saw this lecture too and it is amazing. I wish people would familiarize themselves with the "Willie Lynch Letter" too. It's where we get the term "Lynching" from. I grew up in a black church that didn't say a word about homosexuality. In fact, in my personal experience, the majority of choir directors I have met in the churches have been gay. I think the outrage against gays is a Baptist thing white or black. Baptists don't go for it. Everybody has had their own experience in the church black or otherwise but the main thing missing in the black churches is not good doctrine or good commentary about the state of our neighborhoods. It's missing back MEN. It's even missing young women. All my life when I went to church all I saw was little old ladies and children. A handful of married couples and a few others but it was old ladies and children. So the best thing you can do for the black church is not to leave and whine about it but attend regularly and even try to get a friend or two to go with you and be active on the church council. There your voice can be heard and changes to get made on those counsels. Many or even most times they have more power than the Pastor.

Upvote 0