Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lately, I have heard a few people at my church call certain things of the world "satanic."

I don't know how many of you have hard of Mark Driscoll, the pastor of Mars Hill church in Seattle, but I watched a video of him on YouTube calling yoga "satanic" because of its hindu origins.

My question is: for you, what is the line between something that is secular vs. something that is satanic or demonic?

In my opinion, yoga is not something to be classified as satanic but rather just secular. Secular things can be redeemed by God but Satanic things cannot.

What are your thoughts? Examples would be appreciated too!

Armistead14

Mar 18, 2006
✟9,449.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Lately, I have heard a few people at my church call certain things of the world "satanic."

I don't know how many of you have hard of Mark Driscoll, the pastor of Mars Hill church in Seattle, but I watched a video of him on YouTube calling yoga "satanic" because of its hindu origins.

My question is: for you, what is the line between something that is secular vs. something that is satanic or demonic?

In my opinion, yoga is not something to be classified as satanic but rather just secular. Secular things can be redeemed by God but Satanic things cannot.

To those very fundy anything of the world is almost satanic. Think about the apostle Paul speaking towards the eating of meat used in pagan worship, he told gentile christians that there was nothing wrong with eating the meat as long as they didn't partake of paganism, but also said the jews were right in not eating it because of their laws. Most fundy pastors can't seperate activity from beliefs, so they just call it satanic, very silly.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Secular isn't Satanic.

My goodness Manicheanism is popular these days...

...and mind you, I'm referring to your (the OP) fellow parishioners, not you.

The secular isn't the opposite of the sacred. The profane is.

Yoga has been proven to have real health benefits. It is true that it is also a part of Sanatana Dharma ("Hinduism"), but practicing it in and of itself, without attaching any of the theology behind it (in other words, practicing it for its health and not using it religiously), is completely harmless and truly secular, as you have said.

Your fellow parishioners are unfortunately not quite an enlightened as you. Do not fear practicing yoga. So long as you don't attach any Hindu belief to it and use it only as an exercise, then it is perfectly fine and you are absolutely not sinning. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for your responses.

I was wondering, however, if you could define for me what you think is the line between calling something Satanic or secular?

The secular is completely neutral; it has the potential to be used sacredly or profanely.

The sacred is, by nature, holy. The profane is, by corruption, unholy.

Using a pen is neutral. A pen used to write a defense of, say, the Holy Trinity against people who dismiss or rebut (God save those who do...) it is a sacred use of a pen. A profane use would be to stab someone with it.

When it comes to things truly secular, it is how we use them that makes them good or bad.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Secularism is a foot soldier of satan.
Yoga is not secular. But it is another food soldier of satan.
I guess that should be clear enough.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The secular is completely neutral; it has the potential to be used sacredly or profanely.

The sacred is, by nature, holy. The profane is, by corruption, unholy.

Using a pen is neutral. A pen used to write a defense of, say, the Holy Trinity against people who dismiss or rebut (God save those who do...) it is a sacred use of a pen. A profane use would be to stab someone with it.

When it comes to things truly secular, it is how we use them that makes them good or bad.

Secular is not neutral. It denies God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Secularism is a foot soldier of satan.
Yoga is not secular. But it is another food soldier of satan.
I guess that should be clear enough.

Yoga is about breathing and stretching exercises. How on Earth can that be a foot soldier of Satan?

Honestly, it sounds like God isn't very powerful, since all I hear on this board is how Satan controls absolutely everything.

Upvote 0