USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find the whole idea a bit hypocritical, especially when people who "only listen to Christian music" bring up the topic.

So it's not okay to listen to secular music or to avoid secular songs, but it's okay for a Christian band to cover a secular song? Nothing in the song has changed. The lyrics and most of the time music is exactly the same, it's just that a bunch of Christians have chosen to cover the song, so that makes it okay, correct? I'm trying to wrap my mind around this silly mentality. I also suppose this means that your favourite Christian bands listen to secular music, doesn't it?

Oh, and the theme of the song hasn't magically changed it into a Christian song just because a Christian band redid it. It's still exactly the same song it was when the secular band wrote it.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2009
Denver
✟15,265.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I find the whole idea a bit hypocritical, especially when people who "only listen to Christian music" bring up the topic.

So it's not okay to listen to secular music or to avoid secular songs, but it's okay for a Christian band to cover a secular song? Nothing in the song has changed. The lyrics and most of the time music is exactly the same, it's just that a bunch of Christians have chosen to cover the song, so that makes it okay, correct? I'm trying to wrap my mind around this silly mentality. I also suppose this means that your favourite Christian bands listen to secular music, doesn't it?

Oh, and the theme of the song hasn't magically changed it into a Christian song just because a Christian band redid it. It's still exactly the same song it was when the secular band wrote it.
a_winner_is_you_1024.jpg

Upvote 0
F

Faithful2002

Check the method when I constantly flow,
no joke like the pronto, loud so,
John Doe up in his condo in Toronto,
can hear the way foot comes down,
just to give you the run down,
Krutch be droppin' it, daybreak to sundown,
when the smoke clears,
who you think'll be standin' there?
grippin' four mics,
swingin' the cords up in the air,
like cowboys,
we be rockin' the territory in this rap game,
'n' CHRIST blessed us with the octane,
the same name,
who created the world in seven days,

will change ya life, you'd be amazed,
man, don't trip, we gon' carry on with the function,
Krutch preparin' the power punch 'n'

The things, you say,
your word will never push me away,
the things, you say,...

You're unbelivable,... you're so unbelievable

I just wanna make jams,
to pack the clubs 'n' stadiums,
with people of all types,
while makin' the crowd hype,
I got CHRIST in me, for the life of me,
stand truly thankful for the sites I see,
'n' sparks be ignitin',
the minute we start writin',
GOD placed me in this fightin',
to speak 'n' to enlighten,
and I'm just that type-a, lyrical rhyme
sniper, never a street fighter,
but down for gettin' hyper,
I'm a beat junkie brother, known by the emcee's,
for rippin' thru tracks like epidemic disease,
and shout to J.C. cuz' he reigns supreme,
'n' party people out there know what I mean.

Check this out, check this out,
stepped on the scene, at the age of thirteen,
crystal-clean, kick it like ya never seen,
big expansion, that mmm bopped hanson,
'n' thru off Marylin Manson up in his mansion,
out to rock the globe,
while its still here to rock,
with things that'll make ya drop ya jaw,
run along 'n' lock ya door,
it's the Krutch coalition crowd,
on a mission now,
original, givin' emcee's beat downs,
we bust, with the extreme thrust,
of ten warriors, the notorious,
one triple zero, no joke, we let it flow,
man for real though,
steppin' on sneakers with steel toes.

Nuff said

Upvote 0
F

Faithful2002

Somtimes you catch a song somwhere that you dont like but the beat is stuck in your head, so whenever you hear it the lyrics come to you, you hear the beat of it somwhere and ur suddenly reminded of the preverse lyrics from the song, so im looking for more songs that have been cleaned, so when you hear the song you think of different lyrics or of somones playing it really loud you can scream the christian lyrics

nothing againts secular music, its just some of it can be preverse and somthing a christian shouldnt listen too, but i played this song for a friend and he really loved it. id like to have more songs like it so i can play them for my friends and say hey its the beat that you like the guitar riffs the lyrics dont matter. introduce them to christian music get them on the scene maybe listening to more.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Somtimes you catch a song somwhere that you dont like but the beat is stuck in your head, so whenever you hear it the lyrics come to you, you hear the beat of it somwhere and ur suddenly reminded of the preverse lyrics from the song, so im looking for more songs that have been cleaned, so when you hear the song you think of different lyrics or of somones playing it really loud you can scream the christian lyrics
I'm going to assumed that is what you posted in the thread before; a song that had changed lyrics. I'm also going to guess this wasn't by a known band because they would most likely be sued to no return. I've never really heard of a band being allowed to take someone elses music and change just a few parts of the song to make it a Christian song. Most artists would rather set themselves on fire than have their work "Christianized"

Upvote 0
F

Faithful2002

EMF - Unbelievable

You burden me with your questions
You'd have me tell no lies
You're always asking what it's all about
But don't listen to my replies
You say to me I don't talk enough
But when I do I'm a fool
These times I've spent, I've realized
I'm going to shoot through
And leave you

The things, you say
Your purple prose just gives you away
The things, you say
You're unbelievable

You burden me with your problems
By telling me more than mine
I'm always so concerned
With the way you say
You've always go to stop
To think of us being one
Is more than I ever know
But this time, I realize
I'm going to shoot through
And leave you

Seemingly lastless, don't mean
You can ask us
Pushing down the relative
Bringing out your higher self
Think of the fine times
Pushing down the better few
Instead of bringing out the clues
To what the world and everything anger to
Brace yourself with the grace of ease
I know this world ain't what it seems.

What the [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] was that
It's unbelievable

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was a rash of this in the 90s. Some examples were Geoff Moore covering "I'm Free", Holy Soldier doing "Gimme Shelter, to name a couple. None of the lyrics were changed, and it put a new spin on the song, so to speak; so when hearing these songs I was reminded of Christian things rather than the original intent of these songs.

Upvote 0

PixieSunbelle

formerly xladyfayre
Jan 2, 2007
in some fairy forest
✟16,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to assumed that is what you posted in the thread before; a song that had changed lyrics. I'm also going to guess this wasn't by a known band because they would most likely be sued to no return. I've never really heard of a band being allowed to take someone elses music and change just a few parts of the song to make it a Christian song. Most artists would rather set themselves on fire than have their work "Christianized"
Apologetix does this with many many songs... but I always assume they have the rights to make their parodies....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apologetix does this with many many songs... but I always assume they have the rights to make their parodies....
Correct, there is a law that protects them in the cases of parody work. I don't completely understand why that is, but it's there.

Upvote 0

PixieSunbelle

formerly xladyfayre
Jan 2, 2007
in some fairy forest
✟16,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct, there is a law that protects them in the cases of parody work. I don't completely understand why that is, but it's there.

I enjoy parody songs :D I think many of them are funny.. such as Story of a Squirrel. When I listen I really don't think of the originals; i just think of them as parodies to the originals. If that makes any sense. However, perhaps since I listen to secular and country music that it just doesn't cross my mind.

I only find secular music to be wrong if it interferes with your walk with God or if your convicted that it isn't something you should do. Personally, I don't find it a hindrance. I see music as the inner thoughts of others. I find it to be an art in of itself. And I enjoy it for that- as art. My views and opinion comes from being a writer, a poet and a lyrical writer though my view extends to television, movies, and even books.

Upvote 0

ReyRenacido

Sep 30, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As a new comer I would have to agree with you. I enjoy music in general and sometimes the beats, vocals, and music are sweet; however, sometimes the lyrics and the messages are not what I really care to hear. I sometimes ask myself would I care to listen to the song if if it were in a different launguage? I would have to say yes, because it's the combination of all the above that make it a great song. So, there is nothing wrong with secular music remixed into christian. Same sweet tunes with more edifying message. To each his own I say.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So how exactly does a song with he same exact lyrics and music become more edifying based on the person saying it? If I wrote a song about a girl, and some Christian artist sings my song, it's still about a girl. There is simply no getting around that based on who is singing because it would be MY creative writing.

I suppose you could sing the song to a different girl, or to God, but it doesn't change what the song is about because I wrote it.

I still find this concept of "it's okay because a Christian is singing it" to be complete hypocritical crap and goes to show how boxed in Christians make themselves.

Upvote 0

Lance E.

Feb 21, 2010
Portland, Oregon
✟7,653.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Remix: To recombine audio tracks or channels from a recording to produce a new or modified audio recording.

Parody: a work created to mock, comment on, or make fun at an original work.

I think the word everyone is looking for here is appropriate: v \ə-ˈprō-prē-ˌāt\ to take possesion of or make use of.

I've also heard Free Ride by Edgar Winter appropriated as a Christian song and I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty.

I think that a different artist doing the song can give it a different interpretation. For instance, romantic love song can easily become a song about Jesus and the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except that most cover songs Christian bands remake sound exactly the same as the original, if not only a bit modernized with louder compression and harder drums.

And as far as someone turning a love song into something religious... Jesus is not your boyfriend.

Upvote 0

Lance E.

Feb 21, 2010
Portland, Oregon
✟7,653.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except that most cover songs Christian bands remake sound exactly the same as the original, if not only a bit modernized with louder compression and harder drums.

It's about context.

And as far as someone turning a love song into something religious... Jesus is not your boyfriend.

The analogy of Jesus as the groom and the Church as the bride is very prevalent in scripture.

Upvote 0