Secret Lives of the Apostles

S

SeventhValley

Summary/Review: In a mere three or four decades, the seeds of a global religion spread across the Roman Empire. In an age with no Internet, no mass media, no planes, trains or fossil fuel, how did it happen? National Geographic investigates the mysterious decades following Jesus' death, and the group of 12 common men who traveled thousands of miles, risked their lives and sacrificed everything to spread Jesus' message.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Have not seen it. But most likely its nothing really secret. They are probably basing it on Eusebius Church history. One of his volumes are dedicated to where the apostles went and taught, its how we know Thomas went to Persia and preached to the jews of India etc.

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

My parents both ex-Catholics taught that anything after Acts was not needed other than canonical books(their attitude tword duterocanon was you can use it or not, it dose not matter).

Of course this pietist outlook failed because we were in public school and had a good working knowledge of history. Plus all my other family and friends were/are Catholic so I learned stuff through them.

They tried to insulate us from the world while having us imersed in it.Not a good strategy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D+C

Apr 19, 2011
✟8,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm now watching the other National Geographic programme on the same topic- Deadly Journeys of the Apostles! I really recommend it if you can get to see it. There are contributions from figures like the Dean of Santiago de Compostela Cathedral speaking on the work of St James on the Iberian Peninsula, Father Jay Harrington on St Andrew, Fr. Dr K. M. George, a priest of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church in India on Saints Matthias, Bartholomew and Thomas. I'm sure as we all do I find the lives of the apostles a huge source of inspiration.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
D+C said:
Of course it is! But rejecting a form of media out of hand is unnecessary. I'm sure we can trust ourselves to discern what is good and useful and what is not, and anything that beams the apostles into people's homes in a positive light has to be a good thing in this day and age.

I tend to not watch these shows as a form of education, but I can see the benefit of watching them -IF you take the time to verify what they say. The difficulty with the media like this is that you typically either need to research on your own to back it up, or take the word of the media that they are presenting facts from legitimate sources. Typically I don't see footnotes of where they got their sources from. :)

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I have seen so many incorrect things on television, documentaries and movies, that I don't trust it outright without my own research and / or support from those that I trust - especially with something as important as my faith.

It is good if a positive light is used with this...I just personally still want to make sure what I see is accurate though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

SeventhValley

while true, the fact that it says the secret lives of the Apostles is misleading. there is really nothing secret about their lives.

Yea but "The well known lives of know the Apostles" just dose not have the same ring to it for marketing purposes :)

I have yet to see a "secret" show on anything that is actually secret :p

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yea but "The well known lives of know the Apostles" just dose not have the same ring to it for marketing purposes :)

I have yet to see a "secret" show on anything that is actually secret :p

hahahaha, a very good point.

Upvote 0