Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "goose and gander", files: SeaWorld Employee Masqueraded as Animal Activist, Peta Says | Bloomberg

A SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. employee posed for years as an animal-rights activist, joining protests against the company over its use of captive killer whales, according to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Peta, based in Norfolk, Virginia, said that a California activist who identified himself as Thomas Jones has been taking part in the group’s activities. He protested a SeaWorld float at New York’s Thanksgiving Day parade in 2013, held anti-SeaWorld signs outside the company’s San Diego theme park, and got hauled away by police at the 2014 Rose Parade in Pasadena, California, Peta said.
SeaWorld, in its statement, provided a link to a Peta job posting for an undercover investigator.

“Peta itself actively recruits animal rights activists to gain employment at companies like SeaWorld, as this job posting demonstrates,” company spokesman Jacobs said. “Safety is our top priority, and we will not waiver from that commitment.”
LOL, what's the problem, PETA? He's no different from your other undercover employees. As long as he did his job for you it would seem that you've got little to complain about.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To me its more that the conditions that are standard for those whales are very poor. Killer whales, despite their name, have never killed a human in the wild. There aren't even any real attacks recorded, just minor incidents where an orca mistook a human for prey, or grabbed something a human was holding. They've never even bitten a human.. Orcas are essentially dolphins, aka not considered a threat to humans.

Their behavior is dramatically different in captivity, they often become violent and depressed, and have purposefully killed humans, sometimes in horrifying ways that pretty much amount to torture. While probably not on the level of humans, orcas are extremely intelligent, and they know when they have been wronged. It is cruel to make them suffer in captivity as they do.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
To me its more that the conditions that are standard for those whales are very poor. Killer whales, despite their name, have never killed a human in the wild. There aren't even any real attacks recorded, just minor incidents where an orca mistook a human for prey, or grabbed something a human was holding. They've never even bitten a human.. Orcas are essentially dolphins, aka not considered a threat to humans.

Their behavior is dramatically different in captivity, they often become violent and depressed, and have purposefully killed humans, sometimes in horrifying ways that pretty much amount to torture.
Not everyone shares that opinion ... http://www.livescience.com/9848-killer-whales-kill-people.html

But this killer whale at SeaWorld probably didn't intentionally kill the trainer.

"I just think the killer whale may have wanted a social companion and just held her under too long," Black told LiveScience. "I would think the killer whale didn't do it intentionally but more as a play thing. They're so powerful." She added killer whales don't have to come up for air as often as a human might and could reasonably hold someone underwater for 15 to 20 minutes.

Possibly the killer whale just got bored, she said, since their lives in captivity are more confined than at sea where they spend time swimming hundreds of miles while hunting or playing.

While probably not on the level of humans, orcas are extremely intelligent, and they know when they have been wronged. It is cruel to make them suffer in captivity as they do.
Is it cruel to help them survive the 50% or higher mortality of young Orcas in the wild?

Is it cruel to offer them an environment where they will not be hunted and killed?

Is it cruel to attempt to reestablish depleted Orca populations which amount to no more than a handful of individuals?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Not everyone shares that opinion ... http://www.livescience.com/9848-killer-whales-kill-people.html

But this killer whale at SeaWorld probably didn't intentionally kill the trainer.

"I just think the killer whale may have wanted a social companion and just held her under too long," Black told LiveScience. "I would think the killer whale didn't do it intentionally but more as a play thing. They're so powerful." She added killer whales don't have to come up for air as often as a human might and could reasonably hold someone underwater for 15 to 20 minutes.

Possibly the killer whale just got bored, she said, since their lives in captivity are more confined than at sea where they spend time swimming hundreds of miles while hunting or playing.

Is it cruel to help them survive the 50% or higher mortality of young Orcas in the wild?

Is it cruel to offer them an environment where they will not be hunted and killed?

Is it cruel to attempt to reestablish depleted Orca populations which amount to no more than a handful of individuals?

It is cruel if they are not treated properly.

Do you think it would be cruel to keep a person from birth in a 6X6 cell? But hey, they are safe from crime and most infectious disease! :p.

These orcas aren't just getting bored. And they aren't stupid. Orcas are dolphins and every bit as intelligent as the more commonly recognized varieties. Dolphins know about humans drowning, in fact they have gone out of their way to save humans from drowning. People making the assumption that the orcas were "bored" are grossly underestimating their intelligence.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a meat eating, leather wearing, deer hunting, Southern country boy. I'm no fan of PETA. However, I agree completely that Orcas are too intelligent to be kept in captivity.

Part of our God given responsibility as stewards of the earth is to use animals as humanely and efficiently as possible. That means only keeping them when there is a legitimate reason, such as food production, pest control, etc.

Making an extremely intelligent and magnificent animal jump through hoops for entertainment and live in what is basically solitary confinement for 20 hours a day for decades is cruel. I feel similarly about elephants and some apes.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a meat eating, leather wearing, deer hunting, Southern country boy. I'm no fan of PETA. However, I agree completely that Orcas are too intelligent to be kept in captivity.
They should be treated like people?

PVBPJ.jpg

Part of our God given responsibility as stewards of the earth is to use animals as humanely and efficiently as possible. That means only keeping them when there is a legitimate reason, such as food production, pest control, etc.
No pets? :scratch:
Making an extremely intelligent and magnificent animal jump through hoops for entertainment and live in what is basically solitary confinement for 20 hours a day for decades is cruel.
I like zoos ...

going-through-the-hoops.jpg

I feel similarly about elephants and some apes.
Personally, I feel that viewing animals as only existing in either an absolutely wild existence or a "prison" existence is way over-simplified.

B3RzRu5YZS.jpg

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They should be treated like people?

PVBPJ.jpg

People can leave if they don't like their conditions.

Depends on the kind of pet. Domesticated animals are fine, dogs, cats, etc.

I like zoos ...

going-through-the-hoops.jpg

Personally, I feel that viewing animals as only existing in either an absolutely wild existence or a "prison" existence is way over-simplified.

B3RzRu5YZS.jpg
Again, depends on the animal and the conditions of their captivity. Ever hear what happens when a chimp snaps? It never turns out good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
People can leave if they don't like their conditions.
Captivity of people seems to be common around the globe.
Depends on the kind of pet. Domesticated animals are fine, dogs, cats, etc.
As are snakes and turtles and fish and gerbils and ferrets, etc.
Again, depends on the animal and the conditions of their captivity. Ever hear what happens when a chimp snaps? It never turns out good.
Kinda like with pit bulls, huh? Powerful animals do powerful things.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Captivity of people seems to be common around the globe.

You presented a picture if people working in an office, now you are labeling it as "captivity"?

As are snakes and turtles and fish and gerbils and ferrets, etc.

Yes, if kept properly, though I'm iffy on the snake. They're neat, but most people aren't up to a 30 year commitment in a relatively non interactive animal.

Kinda like with pit bulls, huh? Powerful animals do powerful things.

The problem isn't their physical power. It's the denial of the natural needs of animals with almost human level intelligence for no purpose other than our own entertainment.

Upvote 0