Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m new here. I was raised Roman Catholic, but I am no longer attending Mass. I have a few issues with the RC Church, so I am hesitant to resume attendance. At the same time, I feel urged by the Holy Spirit to go back to church – SOME church. So now I’m searching for a new home, and want to learn more about the dogma of other churches. I presume I will be welcome here – not for debate but rather to learn. But I will probably be just dropping in from time to time as I explore other churches as well. Thanks for your patience with me.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're very welcome! Any questions you have, feel free to ask. If you'd like to describe your beliefs, or what different beliefs you're exploring, you'll always find people here who are happy to articulate the Orthodox perspective and discuss our reasons for why we do what we do.

I used to be Roman Catholic (several of our members were) so you're not at all looking at an unusual path (but, of course, no pressure).

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're all thrilled to have you, Bill. Good name! That's my dad's name! I was raised, like Joseph Hazen (the poster before me here) Catholic, and like Joseph, I converted to Orthodoxy, and for years he and I have gone to the same parish here in California.

Please ask as many questions as you like! You're most welcome here! :)

I’m new here. I was raised Roman Catholic, but I am no longer attending Mass. I have a few issues with the RC Church, so I am hesitant to resume attendance. At the same time, I feel urged by the Holy Spirit to go back to church – SOME church. So now I’m searching for a new home, and want to learn more about the dogma of other churches. I presume I will be welcome here – not for debate but rather to learn. But I will probably be just dropping in from time to time as I explore other churches as well. Thanks for your patience with me.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF, and welcome to TAW!

While I've spent years seeking mostly among various evangelical churches since that's my background, the other catechumen at my parish is a Catholic converting to Orthodoxy, and we've discussed some of the issues. I know they are very different from my own in most ways.

But you will find plenty of support here, I'm sure, and people happy to answer any questions. It can get a little quiet sometimes too, so feel free to bring up anything you want to discuss. I always enjoy hearing others' questions about things I sometimes forget to ask.

God bless!!!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, TAW is pretty low-key, quiet, and not very drama-laden like some other subforums (ahem, ahem! LOL) unless we start talking about evolution and church authority, then it becomes nasty.

That last war we had in here about authority and evolution lost us one of my good friends in here--Rusmeister. He's gone. And I'm hoping it's not for good. I haven't wanted to come in here as much since he left. He kept things balanced I think. When I first came to TAW, he and I battled and launched nukes at each other like crazy, couldn't stand each other, but I learned a lot from him, and over time came to really acquire a taste for him. After PMing and getting to know each other, heck, we have A LOT in common. He is missed for sure in my book.

We do need more threads in here that are interesting. TAW as of late is, well, no offense, boring for me LOL:o

Welcome to CF, and welcome to TAW!

While I've spent years seeking mostly among various evangelical churches since that's my background, the other catechumen at my parish is a Catholic converting to Orthodoxy, and we've discussed some of the issues. I know they are very different from my own in most ways.

But you will find plenty of support here, I'm sure, and people happy to answer any questions. It can get a little quiet sometimes too, so feel free to bring up anything you want to discuss. I always enjoy hearing others' questions about things I sometimes forget to ask.

God bless!!!

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you all for replying. One of the practical limitations for me in my choice of denominations is that I live in a mostly rural area of the south -- central Arkansas. I know that there is one "Greek Orthodox" Church in Little Rock, which is about 40 miles away. Is "Greek Orthodox" your church? My town has a pop. less than 5,000 and is mostly Baptist (several different versions: First, Second, Primitive, Missionary, Faith, Emmanuel, and probably some I can't think of. You just take one of those words and put it in front of 'Baptist Church', and you've got it. Let's see: we have a Nazarene and a Pentecostal right next door to one another (don't know what they are except I think they speak in tongues). We have a Church of Christ and a Methodist. Our family drove (wife still does) about 10+ miles each way to the Roman Catholic Church in Conway (pop. approx. 50,000), and they have about the same assortment plus Assembly of God, an Episcopal church, and I'm pretty sure Presbyterian and Lutheran. ... But no Greek Orthodox, and I don't know what other churches are considered "Eastern" Orthodox. Availability (and distance) will undoubtedly be big factors in my choice; I know that probably sounds harsh and withholding from the Lord, but when I am already a bit uncertain and reluctant about switching, long-distances won't make it any easier.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Bill,

I attend a Serbian Orthodox parish, but there is a Greek Orthodox parish down the street from it that I've been to. They are both ORTHODOX, and that's what matters. You can attend ANY Orthodox parish regardless of ethnic origin after being chrismated in to Holy Orthodoxy. In fact, the Greek priest and my Serbian priest are the best of friends and do MANY things together from sharing liturgies during Lent to going to camps together to sharing youth groups and VBS together. They're very friendly to each other. They're all ORTHODOX! :)

I have to drive about 55 miles to get to my parish. Hopefully in the future, if we can get more missionary zeal out there, that'll end, but for now I drive almost an hour to my parish. It's worth it despite the long haul!

Thank you all for replying. One of the practical limitations for me in my choice of denominations is that I live in a mostly rural area of the south -- central Arkansas. I know that there is one "Greek Orthodox" Church in Little Rock, which is about 40 miles away. Is "Greek Orthodox" your church? My town has a pop. less than 5,000 and is mostly Baptist (several different versions: First, Second, Primitive, Missionary, Faith, Emmanuel, and probably some I can't think of. You just take one of those words and put it in front of 'Baptist Church', and you've got it. Let's see: we have a Nazarene and a Pentecostal right next door to one another (don't know what they are except I think they speak in tongues). We have a Church of Christ and a Methodist. Our family drove (wife still does) about 10+ miles each way to the Roman Catholic Church in Conway (pop. approx. 50,000), and they have about the same assortment plus Assembly of God, an Episcopal church, and I'm pretty sure Presbyterian and Lutheran. ... But no Greek Orthodox, and I don't know what other churches are considered "Eastern" Orthodox. Availability (and distance) will undoubtedly be big factors in my choice; I know that probably sounds harsh and withholding from the Lord, but when I am already a bit uncertain and reluctant about switching, long-distances won't make it any easier.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Bill :) (My Dad's name was Bill too)

I do understand the distance thing. I imagine most of us here will. I travel about 40 minutes to Church on the interstate, so it's less than 40 miles but not much less. I know at least one person that lives so far they have to go Saturday night and stay overnight with someone in order to go on Sunday. There are many I know who would attend an Orthodox Church except there simply isn't one within 100+ miles.

I grew up mostly in Northwest Louisiana, and I'm pretty familiar with the mix of churches you describe. And I've been to just about all the ones you mention, and been members of a good many.

My Church is Greek Orthodox. There is also an Antiochian near me. There are several kinds of Orthodox Churches that are "Eastern Orthodox" and all in communion with each other (or pretty much so). OCA is Orthodox Church in America, which is often closely related with ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia). As Gurney mentioned, Serbian Orthodox. There are maybe another half-dozen ethnic Orthodox Churches found in America. I won't try to list them all since I get it wrong sometimes, or may miss some. They all teach the same thing, believe the same thing, share communion. They may sound/look a little different from one Church to another, people may do their venerations a little differently - really it's only the superficial style that varies much. It's the same faith.

Some Churches do have "Orthodox" in the title, and they are not, as I've seen with a few other kinds of churches too. And some Orthodox are not in communion, having split off early. Coptic/Ethiopian/Tewahedo Orthodox (and a few others) have some differences in how they view Christ.

Not sure if you really wanted to know all that. ;)

Depending on what your concerns are with the Catholic Church and your other beliefs, among the ones you listed, I would think that Orthodox and Lutheran are the ones most likely to be acceptable to you. Possibly Episcopal, depending on what kind of Episcopal and again - what your concerns and beliefs are.

Baptist and Pentecostal are what I am most familiar with from my past, and those are going to be VERY different from Catholic.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You have another Orthodox Church in Little Rock, Holy Trinity, that is also worth checking out. Holy Trinity Orthodox Church

The priest is a former Roman Catholic, so he could be a great resource in your exploration of Orthodoxy. Send him a message!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You have another Orthodox Church in Little Rock, Holy Trinity, that is also worth checking out. Holy Trinity Orthodox Church

The priest is a former Roman Catholic, so he could be a great resource in your exploration of Orthodoxy. Send him a message!

Wow, I'm very impressed from a quick look at their website. It seems to be well-done, and an active parish. It looks as though they have lots of good resources. I will probably spend a little time checking some of them out myself. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks to all of you. Your church is most definitely one of my options. After hearing from you, I'm embarrassed that I mentioned a 40 mile distance as if it was too much of a sacrifice for the Lord. I've also checked out the website for Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, and I like the idea that I could have a former Catholic priest help me along so to speak, and maybe answer questions I might have. And yes, Kylissa, I did appreciate that info.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hey Bill, I cannot add anything aside to also say welcome brother! and after looking at Holy Trinity it looks pretty good. I know Bishop Antoun (and the Antiochian Archdiocese) are very inquirer and convert friendly, and with the priest being a former RC, I would totally check them out.

feel free to stick around and ask questions, we are glad to have you!

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
After hearing from you, I'm embarrassed that I mentioned a 40 mile distance as if it was too much of a sacrifice for the Lord.

The realities of life are just that - realities. These are things we have to deal with, and having to drive forty miles to go to church every Sunday can be a very real impediment. There's no sense in us pretending that sacrifices are easy just because we're doing them for the Lord. Not at most of our level, anyway.

And who knows - maybe someday there'll be an Orthodox church in your town because of a founding member who asked questions on TAW... ;)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder how fast new Orthodox Churches are coming about. This area (within possible driving distance - up to an hour and a half) used to have 2 Greek Churches, I think, ten years ago. Now I think there are 5 Greek Churches, an Antiochian, and a Coptic, all with priests now. That's a pretty big change in ten years, when it had been just the two for almost 100 years.

I'm not familiar enough with other places to make real comparisons. It looks like the city where I grew up has 3 now within the city limits, and there is only one that has any number of years to it. I never heard of it as a child though.

I do hear that there is difficulty in getting enough priests to serve all the needs at all the Churches, and that is keeping growth from being faster. But it looks encouraging overall.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly! I go through periods of burn-out with the drive and moments of sighing and complaining about it all, but in the end Truth is Truth and I know where to find it. I just hope in the future and for my children's future finding it will get more convenient! :p^_^

The realities of life are just that - realities. These are things we have to deal with, and having to drive forty miles to go to church every Sunday can be a very real impediment. There's no sense in us pretending that sacrifices are easy just because we're doing them for the Lord. Not at most of our level, anyway.

And who knows - maybe someday there'll be an Orthodox church in your town because of a founding member who asked questions on TAW... ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I spent 4 months on temporary duty at Little Rock and visited Holy Trinity several times. I never attended a Divine Liturgy, but went to Vespers almost weekly. Though I was Roman Catholic at the time and attended the Latin Mass Mission, I was greeted warmly and learned a lot about a lived Orthodox Faith there. I attend a Greek Orthodox Church now that has a diverse membership who have treated our family very well. May God bless your inquiry and grant you great mercy.

Upvote 0