SCOTUS justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79.

AHH who-stole-my-name

in accordance with Christ
Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What was the effect of those political beliefs on real, living people?
Isn't this the process that was set down by the constitution. You can agree or disagree with their opinions, but revealing in ones end is to abandon human compassion for political expedience.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to partially disagree. For example, I'd say my parent's deaths were a good thing. In my mom's case, she had both Alzheimer's and Cancer; she was no longer herself and in pain. My father, after the death of my mother, quickly declined. He had a severe issue with dementia, he was no longer himself, missed my mother terribly, and in the end also had cancer. In both cases, I have to think it was a blessing for them to pass; no matter how much it hurt me. Both had lived long and full lives. Despite the fact I still miss them, it seems like death was the best thing for them rather than to continue to suffer.

Now, I'll agree that I don't believe it was a "good thing" for Justice Scalia. I disagreed with him politically and I do think he had lost some of his legal mind in the last decade, but he still appeared to be in reasonably good health and my heart goes out to his family and friends.
I am terribly sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a few years ago and the twinge of that loss still comes to me, at times.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate you revealing this to us. God bless you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Kevin

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Obama agrees to pardon Hillary re: email scandal
A pardon implies a conviction. And no one with a conviction of that magnitude is going to be confirmed for the SC. The scenario I can see, though, is that if Sanders gets in, obama himself will be the choice for SC. Same for Clinton, but I don't see her surviving the primary race.

On Scalia, we have lost a great bulwark of freedom. May his soul rest in eternal peace. I shudder for the nation, but then, it is and always was in God's good and capable hands. May we return to His good ways.

Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Isn't this the process that was set down by the constitution. You can agree or disagree with their opinions, but revealing in ones end is to abandon human compassion for political expedience.

If someone wants mercy, they should show a little first. Not saying that's the case with Scalia, but some politics are so hurtful that the death of anyone who holds to them is a cause for celebration.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nope. I don't want a justice picked "quickly". This person serves for LIFE. I want them properly vetted and investigated. Obama does not have time to do this. He should gracefully allow the next POTUS to take care of this matter.

Here's a prediction I read earlier when the news first hit the air: Obama agrees to pardon Hillary re: email scandal. Sanders agrees to put her on the Supreme Court if he wins. Hillary bows out...

Would be interesting to see how that would pan out.

Does she have enough to be supreme court? Like what are the requirements?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Nope. I don't want a justice picked "quickly". This person serves for LIFE. I want them properly vetted and investigated. Obama does not have time to do this. He should gracefully allow the next POTUS to take care of this matter.

Here's a prediction I read earlier when the news first hit the air: Obama agrees to pardon Hillary re: email scandal. Sanders agrees to put her on the Supreme Court if he wins. Hillary bows out...

Would be interesting to see how that would pan out.

there are 341 days left in obama's term
how many years is good enough to vet someone for you?
when the next president takes office can they appoint someone on their first day or do they have to wait 341 days as well in your opinion?
that's more than enough time to choose someone.
what you are saying is basically you don't want obama to appoint anyone because they will most likely not be of your political leaning.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If someone wants mercy, they should show a little first. Not saying that's the case with Scalia, but some politics are so hurtful that the death of anyone who holds to them is a cause for celebration.
Attempting to promote one's thought and opinions as the only legitimate form on mercy is not what I will comment on. That is your take on the situation and I wish you well with having it. I would caution you on the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions but they are not entitled to the truth.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What was the effect of those political beliefs on real, living people?

Here is a portion of Scalia's comments concerning the 1992 ruling on school prayer, quote:

"The Court presumably would separate graduation invocations and benedictions from other instances of public "preservation and transmission of religious beliefs" on the ground that they involve "psychological coercion." I find it a sufficient embarrassment that our Establishment Clause jurisprudence regarding holiday displays, has come to "requir[e] scrutiny more commonly associated with interior decorators than with the judiciary." But interior decorating is a rock hard science compared to psychology practiced by amateurs. A few citations of "[r]esearch in psychology" that have no particular bearing upon the precise issue here cannot disguise the fact that the Court has gone beyond the realm where judges know what they are doing. The Court's argument that state officials have "coerced" students to take part in the invocation and benediction at graduation ceremonies is, not to put too fine a point on it, incoherent."

He was correct. You see what our public schools have become.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Attempting to promote one's thought and opinions as the only legitimate form on mercy is not what I will comment on. That is your take on the situation and I wish you well with having it. I would caution you on the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions but they are not entitled to the truth.

Do I really need to Godwinize?

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How about how he treated homosexuals and others HE disagreed with. Maybe saying his death was good is overboard but the guy didn't just have a political opinion, his views and opionions have ruined and hurt lives, so sorry if I don't treat someone like him with respect.
That is up to you but as Christ said that whatever you do to the least of these, you do to me. That has implications further than our opinions. It reaches all the way to God. This person is probably speaking to God right now and trying to justify the wrongs he has done just as you will.

Do you really think God cares to hear why we do anything? That would be an excuse, I think, since he looks at our hearts and not others when we stand before him.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Great to know. Please show us in the Bible where it says to celebrate the death of another. Even God doesn't delight in the death of the wicked. How much more important a good man then!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Let's hope. The last thing we need is another liberal on the court.
how many times have I heard the right say that their own picks are turning more liberal as time goes on. I think, no matter who is placed up there, they will be effected by the change of times and will rule accordingly.

Upvote 0

AHH who-stole-my-name

Jul 29, 2011
✟27,817.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Bush picked rehnquist's replacement in a month.
Didn't hear the current whiners complaining back then about time being too short.
Respect is something that should be shared by those who want it in return.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
they are whiners if they disagree with an opposing view?

just hypocrits, How many of those defending Scalia would rejoice if Obama died, or don't want Obama putting a justice in now because too fast, be happy if in the first month of their presidency if a republican president put in a justice.

It's only bad manners to speak ill of him, or to say he should be replaced now because you agree with him. you don't want Obama replacing him because it's too soon, you don't want Obama replacing because it will be someone you hate thats likly put in.

Upvote 0