Scientologist speaks out on Travolta death.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So many rumors out there about John Travolta denying his son anti-seizure medication we decided to tackle the subject for tonight’s show!

Here’s the issue. Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston are scientologists so the blogs have been going nuts with chatter claiming that scientologists don’t believe in medicine and that Jett Travolta’s parents denied him medication which contributed to the seizure that killed him.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/07/scientology-and-travolta/

Ebguy

Jan 2, 2009
✟15,123.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
HAHA! Well I know you won't believe me but Scientology lies to cover up it's tracks and will say anything to make people believe differently. Trust me I've seen the actual documents, they believe psychiatry and psychology are Nazi sciences and refuse to believe in them. If you don't believe it, Google any Tom Cruise and David Miscavige quotes on the matter. They believe you can do the same and better with vitamins and "auditing." That kid could've been saved with proper medical treatment.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HAHA! Well I know you won't believe me but Scientology lies to cover up it's tracks and will say anything to make people believe differently. Trust me I've seen the actual documents, they believe psychiatry and psychology are Nazi sciences and refuse to believe in them. If you don't believe it, Google any Tom Cruise and David Miscavige quotes on the matter. They believe you can do the same and better with vitamins and "auditing." That kid could've been saved with proper medical treatment.

While scientologists are, to my knowledge, against psychiatry/psychology and are particularly against the use of drugs such as anti-depressants; I have not heard of them being against drugs in general especially for medical problems. I would expect seizures to fall under regular medical care, and wouldn't be under psychology/psychiatry. So I don't see why a scientologist would be against using anti-seizure medication.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
While scientologists are, to my knowledge, against psychiatry/psychology and are particularly against the use of drugs such as anti-depressants; I have not heard of them being against drugs in general especially for medical problems. I would expect seizures to fall under regular medical care, and wouldn't be under psychology/psychiatry. So I don't see why a scientologist would be against using anti-seizure medication.

Wouldn't it be a neurological issue? It all originates in the brain does it not?

Regardless of what any scientologist says is "truth" my opinion remains the same. I don't trust or believe a thing that comes out of their mouths.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't it be a neurological issue? It all originates in the brain does it not?

Regardless of what any scientologist says is "truth" my opinion remains the same. I don't trust or believe a thing that comes out of their mouths.

It is a neurological issue, but I'm not aware of scientologists being against all medicine that has to do with the brain. I don't think that if a scientologist does something like, oh I don't know, accidentally shoot himself in the head with a nail gun or something, that they'd be against treatment to deal with the nail in their head.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The article seems to have a mixed message on what I consider the germain point.

I don't care about the general rule for Scientologists. The question is this case. It seems to say that the medication had stopped working. Very mixed. Did it? Or did his parents decide it was no longer right and discontinued using it.

I do wonder if the drug did stop working why they did not try something else. It is possible however that they were one or 2 steps along that road and each something else had started to have worse potential side effects.

It can be a very tough call when it comes to long term medication use.

Upvote 0