Scientifically speaking, What is the Purpose of Life?

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A Ph.D. is a valid authority on the idea of science and philosophy because that's what they have studied.

Again, its a degree not in science proper but the Philosophy of Science. That's not a science itself.

And a PhD doesn't mean literal philosophy, although the subject area to which its recipient has been awarded the doctorate for may indeed be in philosophy. It is merely the name of the actual degree. A holder of an MA or an MS both can receive a PhD in their subject, even though science technically isn't a form of philosophy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again, its a degree not in science proper but the Philosophy of Science. That's not a science itself.

And a PhD doesn't mean literal philosophy, although the subject area to which its recipient has been awarded the doctorate for may indeed be in philosophy. It is merely the name of the actual degree. A holder of an MA or an MS both can receive a PhD in their subject, even though science technically isn't a form of philosophy.

Fraid so.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A PhD implies no expertise in philosophy whatsoever. I have a PhD in experimental physics, and I didn't learn any philosophy in pursuit of that degree. The "Ph" in my degree no more means I'm a philosopher than the "D" means I can perform surgery.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A PhD implies no expertise in philosophy whatsoever. I have a PhD in experimental physics, and I didn't learn any philosophy in pursuit of that degree. The "Ph" in my degree no more means I'm a philosopher than the "D" means I can perform surgery.

And now we have it from the mouth (or, really, hands) of a PhD!

I thank you for your expert witness.

Once again, the OP's stance and beliefs have absolutely no basis in reality. We await any proof.

Reactions: Willtor
Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now we have it from the mouth (or, really, hands) of a PhD!

I thank you for your expert witness.

Once again, the OP's stance and beliefs have absolutely no basis in reality. We await any proof.

No kidding. ;)

Another data point: Speaking as one who is working towards his PhD, now, and has a background in philosophy, I can say with pretty high confidence that the two are unrelated.

Reactions: PaladinValer
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the purpose of two eyes?
What is the purpose of two ears?
What is the purpose of your taste buds?
What is the purpose of having two legs?
What is the purpose of seeing?
What is the purpose of hearing?
What is the purpose of your tibia?
What is the purpose of reproduction?
What is the purpose of decay?

What is the purpose of life?
History (life) is the telling of His story.

Time is an illusion. Matter is energy. And everything was created (contrived).

Jesus (the Word of God) did a recap of the story, and then said, "I still have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now." John 16:12. ... So the story continues.

Einstein put it this way: "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
History (life) is the telling of His story.

Time is an illusion. Matter is energy. And everything was created (contrived).

Jesus (the Word of God) did a recap of the story, and then said, "I still have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now." John 16:12. ... So the story continues.

Einstein put it this way: "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

You didn't provide any support for the "illusion" theory, so that's out.
The scriptures support a linear situation.
And Einstein illustrates the difference between us and God, we are forced to experience time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You didn't provide any support for the "illusion" theory, so that's out.
The scriptures support a linear situation.
And Einstein illustrates the difference between us and God, we are forced to experience time.

The scriptures DO NOT support a linear situation...except as a means of telling the story, His story.

The scriptures more than elude to the illusion of Time. I could list a progression of the passages unveiling the truth about Time, but the bottom line, is "I am" is true and without time, while every man's perception of time, is at first, a lie.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The scriptures DO NOT support a linear situation...except as a means of telling the story, His story.

You mean like the book of Genesis telling the beginning of the world, and Revelations explaining the end of the world?
And then all the linear stories in between? Yes, if you take all that out, what remains is timeless.

The scriptures more than elude to the illusion of Time. I could list a progression of the passages unveiling the truth about Time, but the bottom line, is "I am" is true and without time, while every man's perception of time, is at first, a lie.

Or even one such passage would be a start.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Or even one such passage would be a start.

Uuuh...it's right there in "quotes."

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does "I AM" suggest that time is an illusion?
"I am" is the most accurate statement used to define the nature of God. He begins by unfolding/unpacking His story in a timeline explanation, but only after stating that it was/is contrived (created). He then eludes to Himself as being the same (within the timeline explanation story) yesterday, today, and forever. Meanwhile, He explains how all who are born in the world (within the timeline explanation story) are not alive, but dead, and that in order to actually live, one must be born of the spirit into His (timeless) eternal reality: I am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another data point: Speaking as one who is working towards his PhD, now, and has a background in philosophy, I can say with pretty high confidence that the two are unrelated.

Evidently there is no substitute then

Doctorate in Philosophy

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the scientific reason life exists, or what scientific laws have "pushed" life into existence, on this one planet?

it is not entirely certain what you mean by this question, because the scientific as a subject overriding the existence of God is not typical of the theistic sections of the forum, so i can say what the purpose of life is according to the Word of the true Lord God, it is the souls of the universe to be provided with abundant and everlasting life

John 3:17 "God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.",

Luke 9:56 "the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.",

John 12:49-50 "I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak."

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it is not entirely certain what you mean by this question, because the scientific as a subject overriding the existence of God is not typical of the theistic sections of the forum, so i can say what the purpose of life is according to the Word of the true Lord God, it is the souls of the universe to be provided with abundant and everlasting life

John 3:17 "God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.",

Luke 9:56 "the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.",

John 12:49-50 "I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak."

Blessings

That is a great explanation for God's "motivation."
But if we can't test out His behavior with social experiments
then we can't provide a scientific answer.

Prayer studies have given us no conclusive results.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a great explanation for God's "motivation."
But if we can't test out His behavior with social experiments
then we can't provide a scientific answer.
The inability of science to run an experiment, proves nothing for or against God. It only proves the limits of science to comprehend the entire matter of life.

In straight talk, that would be an honest confession.

Upvote 0