Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Tools are neither good or bad.
Tools, rather, can be used for good OR bad.

Tools are just tools and have no moral agency or value.

No. I want regulation concerning guns. To make sure they are used for good instead of bad.

For the record though, a gun isn't a tool in the same sense. A gun is a device designed for killing.

Ironically, you say a gun a physical device and love a mere emotion. You say science is not physical then? I thought science dealt in the realm of the physical? I know this comparison is illogical, yet it reflects your own illogical assertion.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
When we say they are merely emotions instead of acknowledging that they are principles, then be ban them from the arena of logical discourse.

You are not making a single piece of sense. How does saying that love and hope are emotions (which they are) ban them? Who is going around saying "You cannot love! You cannot hope!"?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
They are not merely emotions but are principles.

No, they are emotions. They play out entirely inside a human's brain. They manifest as emotions.

The fact that you deny this shows that you ban them from rational discourse.

Says the guy who doesn't realise that hope and love are emotions (just like desperation, anger and hate) that exist inside a person's brain.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are not making a single piece of sense. How does saying that love and hope are emotions (which they are) ban them? Who is going around saying "You cannot love! You cannot hope!"?

I said they are more than emotions but are also principles that can have impacts on society, which can be measured via scientific reasoning, i.e. cause and effect. I'm done now, I can see your mind is closed.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not science, but scientists.

Who, specifically?

Who is banning science? That was your original assertion.

I didn't assert it. I concluded it. Based on the endless anti-science rants in this thread.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I said they are more than emotions but are also principles that can have impacts on society, which can be measured via scientific reasoning, i.e. cause and effect. I'm done now, I can see your mind is closed.

You haven't even shown how they're principles. You've just kept blathering on about people banning hope and love and when you've been asked, you've just repeated your claim.
If anyone has a closed mind, it's you.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
As with all science, its a tool for good and evil.

False.

Science is a tool to find out how things work
It's a tool for helping to understand reality.
Value judgements like "good and evil" are dependent on how the tool is USED by moral agents (= humans).

Here's a question: what is the underlying point you are trying to communicate here?

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I never said it was banned, I was implying there seems to be an effort to ban it. Who has banned science? you started this discussion by implying that science was being banned. I merely expounded on your comment.

Did I imply science should be banned? It doesn't sound like something I'd say, infact it's the exact opposite to what I'd say.

I'm going to bow out for now as it seems you have bitten off more than you can chew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Really disagree with you on that last bit since there such a thing as sporting pistols/rifles. And also, literally anything can be used to kill.

Regardless, a gun is conceptually a thing designed to destroy, kill, hurt.
I can use a gun as a napkin holder or a hammer as well, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a thing designed to destroy, kill and hurt. That's also its main use. That is its main purpose.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ironically, you say a gun a physical device and love a mere emotion.

What is ironic about that?

You say science is not physical then?

Huh?
How did you jump from "a gun is a device" and "love is an emotion", to this ridiculous question???

I thought science dealt in the realm of the physical?

Science is a method to study the physical. A tool to gain understanding about the physical.

I know this comparison is illogical, yet it reflects your own illogical assertion.

What assertion?

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

No, "hope and love" cant be measured or quantified.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Regardless, a gun is conceptually a thing designed to destroy, kill, hurt.
I can use a gun as a napkin holder or a hammer as well, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a thing designed to destroy, kill and hurt. That's also its main use. That is its main purpose.

That is true, yes, but it's still a tool. A gun is inanimate combination of metal. It will do nothing by itself. Only if a person who has the intent to destroy, kill or hurt does it become lethal. The same with anything else that exists in the world.
But this is really off-topic, and I accept the blame for that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can use a hammer to build a shelter for the homeless, or you can use it to smash someone's head in.

These rants against science, make no sense at all.
Nimrod, called A MIGHTY HUNTER BEFORE THE LORD, later used his talents to build an empire so evil the Antichrist will revive part of it to do his dirty work.

And in fact, unbelievers still make reference to one of its literary works today to sterilize the Bible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Science is not a moral agent.
It used to be.

And it reached its pinnacle in the days of Isaac Newton.

From there, scientists began giving God less and less credit as the tares grew with the wheat.

Is it any wonder that when the Maharishi came to America, he sought scientific accreditation for his Transcendental Meditation?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nimrod, called A MIGHTY HUNTER BEFORE THE LORD, later used his talents to build an empire so evil the Antichrist will revive part of it to do his dirty work.

And in fact, unbelievers still make reference to one of its literary works today to sterilize the Bible.

And Thor uses his hammer to create thunder and lightning.
So... there!

Reactions: RickG
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And behind those scientists, there's a politician funding that research.
Yup.

They go hand-in-hand.

That's how SETI got funded: from our taxes.

In any case... you should go live in a cave somewhere, preferably naked.
After all, you wouldn't want to use all that evil technology that evil science brought us, right?

I mean...just think about it....electricity!!!! THE HORROR!

Do you expect accolades from your boss when you do what you're paid to do?

Upvote 0