Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thursday, 12/08/05

School bus driver who used racial slur is suspended

By AILENE TORRES
Staff Writer

A Metro school bus driver has been ordered to attend diversity training after she used a racial epithet toward a group of black students at Hunters Lane High School, a district official said yesterday.

Dot Seay, who had been driving for Metro Nashville Public Schools since 1982, must provide proof that she completed the sensitivity training before she can return to work, said Olivia Brown, a district spokeswoman.

http://www.gallatinnewsexaminer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051208/NEWS01/512080423/1309/MTCN04

Quite the different outcome then calling someone a Dirty Negro in Italy.

I don't agree with the suspension especially since the students were not even passengers on her bus. Diversity training fine, but suspension, seems like an infringment on her rights of free (stupid) speech.

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
Quite the different outcome then calling someone a Dirty Negro in Italy.

I don't agree with the suspension especially since the students were not even passengers on her bus. Diversity training fine, but suspension, seems like an infringment on her rights of free (stupid) speech.

She could have been fired.

People do not have free speech while at work. If I go and call my coworkers a racial slur, I will get fired, and I will not be able to hide behind free speech.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
thirstforknowledge said:

People do not have free speech while at work. If I go and call my coworkers a racial slur, I will get fired, and I will not be able to hide behind free speech.
good point.

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
thirstforknowledge said:

Agreed. She can go scream all the racial slurs she wants once she's off the clock. But while at work, she has to abide by their rules. And racial slurs are a big no no.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Although one might be able to blast racial slurs outside of work, they must be able to accept a beating for doing so.

Common sense would tell one there are consequences, yet common sense does not exist in one who would repeat racist remarks.

Edit to add: She was given a five-day suspension without pay for "conduct unbecoming" and mental abuse against a student, Brown said.

Mental abuse?
Okay. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Sixy

Not afraid to speak her mind!
Nov 7, 2005
In a flat with my wonderful partner!
✟15,452.00
Faith
Christian

Ummm...isn't there a BIG difference between free speech and rascist remarks?

Shout me down if you want, but I can fully understand (and support) why she was suspended for making a racist remark.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sixy said:

No there isn't.

Shout me down if you want, but I can fully understand (and support) why she was suspended for making a racist remark.

I can see the training, and perhaps the suspension but no pay.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sixy said:

There is no difference between free speech and racist remarks. My statement was that you do not have free speech while at work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sixy said:
No. "Free speech" means being able to say whatever you want to say.

That having been said, nobody has any particular right to practice their freedom of speech on someone else's time, or to freely insult anyone else without suffering the potential consequences. Just 'cause the Feddle Gummint won't prosecute you for cussing in front of the customers or calling them bad names, that doesn't mean your boss isn't going to sack your butt in about 2 seconds if you do it in his shop.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
one love said:
What kind of barbaric society did you escape (still live in) from?

And where do you live...Mayberry? Tell Aunt Bee I said hello.

You think you can go around all day calling someone a racist name and not pay for it?

Go to East Texas and call someone white trailer trash or go to the 5th ward in Houston and call an African American the "n" word....or better yet, call someone a "wetback" from Mexico .... let me know how it turns out...and I'll hope to see back on Christian Forums.

Not from Mayberry,
Ginny

Upvote 0

Sixy

Not afraid to speak her mind!
Nov 7, 2005
In a flat with my wonderful partner!
✟15,452.00
Faith
Christian
You think you can go around all day calling someone a racist name and not pay for it?

This is what I mean.

Free speech means that we can say what we want, and of course that includes rascist remarks and the like.

But what I was meaning to suggest in my previous post that there is a big difference imo of what free speech is and being very offensive to others. It's kinda like abusing free speech.

Just because we have free speech doesn't mean it's "ok" for someone to use rascist remarks.

Upvote 0