Schizoaffective Disorder And The Bible

choux

May 4, 2012
✟7,836.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Check this out. The idea behind cognitive behavioral therapy is that beliefs affect your emotions and behavior. Schizoaffective disorder is people who have some signs of schizophrenia with a mood disorder. Mine's bipolar. I've never heard voices or saw things like other people. I've been studying the Bible since I was 15. I had my psychotic break when I was in my late 20's. It always centers around Biblical things. Could this statement be true for me?

"The Bible is filled with so many diametrically opposite viewpoints that if they were present in a human being we would probably label that person bipolar or, even worse, schizophrenic." - Paul Tobin

You see, I never cherry picked the Bible and believed only the good things. I believed all of what I read. The crazy things and the loving things. Who knows.

Jan 16, 2012
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Speaking as someone with training in psychology I absolutely don't believe religion can cause schizoaffective disorder. People tend to either ignore things that cause "cognitive dissonance" or integrate them in a way that makes sense to the individual.

Obsessing over guilt and hell could certainly cause depression, anxiety, and maybe worse, however from what I remember in school the schizo-disorders have more of a biological basis (although your counselor is very likely to use CBT as part of your treatment).

The view of God is not consistent throughout the Bible (one of the reasons I am no longer orthodox). It almost seems like God is wrathful and petty one minute, loving and merciful the next. It's hard to give equal weight to everything, and my personal recommendation is that you don't.

My best advice is to seek God and pray, asking Him what is most important for you.

Since I'm Gnostic Christian I'm very biased toward seeing God as only merciful and loving. I absolutely don't believe a Christian needs to accept anything that isn't perfect about God to follow Christ.

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟55,100.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not all Christians have that same understanding of the OT scriptures or imagined contradictory points. And for many, the fact they do not share that understanding has nothing to do with ignoring what some others see as uncomfortable depictions of God or supposed "obvious" contradictions in Scripture.

There are other satisfactory explanations which do not require the suspension of logic or otherwise suppose an unsound mind. I will agree some denominations either do not IMO address these issues or if so the response is inadequate or even unsound. Call me biased but I think the Church handles answering these things better than any other and one thing that made me want to look closer at Church teachings.

Upvote 0

hiscosmicgoldfish

Liberal Anglican
Mar 1, 2008
✟11,767.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Check this out. The idea behind cognitive behavioral therapy is that beliefs affect your emotions and behavior. Schizoaffective disorder is people who have some signs of schizophrenia with a mood disorder. Mine's bipolar. I've never heard voices or saw things like other people. I've been studying the Bible since I was 15. I had my psychotic break when I was in my late 20's. It always centers around Biblical things. Could this statement be true for me?

"The Bible is filled with so many diametrically opposite viewpoints that if they were present in a human being we would probably label that person bipolar or, even worse, schizophrenic." - Paul Tobin

You see, I never cherry picked the Bible and believed only the good things. I believed all of what I read. The crazy things and the loving things. Who knows.

I think the bible has been written by many people, and those people are just human. Some of it was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and some of it was just historical stuff, laws that were part of the culture, stories that people could remember. Some of it was just made up by frauds, fakes, for whatever reason, who claimed to have visions and prophesies, as many people claim today. I have my own list of false books that made it into the bible. It seems that most of the major prophets made false predictions. The Torah is reliable imo. Daniel is toally out, Revelation is offensive heretical garbage. A lot of the letters in the new testament were not written by the people named.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am just a layman, here, but I think it's more likely that the Bible colored your psychotic break than caused it. It seems that if you had never had a Bible in your hand, other fears would have surfaced instead. Perhaps secret societies, or aliens, or bugs, or something. I don't think a simple examination of ideas can cause such a serious complication.

What I see in the Bible now (I guess you could say I had a bit of a 'break' myself after my son died), is that God's ways really are not our ways. And from the context of that verse mercy is the way of God that is so foreign to man, though we often use that saying to try to explain away His judgement.

God's love is fierce like a mama bear, and this world is the place for Him to showcase such fierce love.

May God bring you His peace, brother. :)

Upvote 0

JoJo50

Trying to do Jehovah's will
Mar 7, 2011
✟7,983.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private

But seeing things, or hearing things doesn’t make one schizophrenic. Of course satan plays a part in most of what humans goes through. Satan already wants mankind to blame ALL that seems evil and wicked on Jehovah God. So that one wouldn’t want to do his will, as Jesus said we should do. which would determine if we’ll live or die, (Matt.7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven).

God’s words shows satan is on the attack on humans ,(1Pet.5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour). Many who sees things or hears things, is due to Satan’s attacks. But because man, especially from decades ago, didn’t truly understand the real..ness, of satan. Started putting labels on one who’s being acttack by satan. Many are thrown in padded rooms, being told some things wrong with their mind. You can best believe those many doctors, even today.

Won’t tell a soul, if satan ever jack with their minds. They wouldn’t want to be seen as …” schizophrenic” Remember the biblical story of two possessed by demons?, Matt. 8:28-32. these people wasn’t “schizophrenic”, it wasn’t JUST in their heads. the demons really was attacking them. Today they would be taken straight to Bellevue. Many so wants to believe, we have total control in EVERYTHING we do, sadly fooled by satan.

Thought Jehovah God DOESN’T make us do anything, (if he did, we ALL would be doing his will,…as Jesus showed), he does put it in our hearts and minds to do right. But still he leaves it all up to us. Satan on the other hand, doesn’t, when we’re doing evil, satan not only puts it into our head and hearts, But he can makes sure we do it. Anything satan wants us to do, see, or say, (even if one THINKS!...he controls his own world), IF we don’t run to Jehovah’s for protection ,(Isa. 41:13), James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you). And follow Jesus teachings, (John 3:36), satan will be all on us. peace :)

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In several cases that's not a problem! Such as Eph, 2 Pt, Jude

There are many modern scholars who say that Acts wasn't written by Luke because it shows a too harmonic history. There is of course Lukan language in Acts, but that might as well be because Acts is polished.

There is a Bible version that omitts all of Acts: http://www.christianforums.com/t7641923/
A lot of the letters in the new testament were not written by the people named.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Further proof that the spirit realm exists.

In the Gospel of Mary, Jesus says:

10) I said to Him, Lord, how does he who sees the vision see it, through the soul or through the spirit?
11) The Savior answered and said, He does not see through the soul nor through the spirit, but the mind that is between the two that is what sees the vision

The mind is influenced by both the physical and spiritual realms. How sensitive ones mind can be to spiritual things must play a part in physical thought process. After all, the mind prays. We are asked to enter a closet to attempt to close out the physical to get in touch more clearly with the spiritual. But the mind is the conscious go between, so why can't it also be a receiver as well.

How does one think demons enter the soul? Why do some people have regression to past lives that cannot be explained? It can work both good and evil, for edification and deception. (Mediums).

Upvote 0