scared about a recent event.

David21230

Aug 17, 2015
✟15,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I want to ask people for their thoughts, I recentley bought a video game with a credit card, when I went to sign the clerk said here your signing to sell me your soul. I told him no I wouldnt sign for that and canceled the transaction but he restarted it and I signed and hit okay. I am afraid I did something wrong it just didnt feel right but I want to hear what your thoughts and some words to put me more at ease. I have returned the game now and spoke with my grandmither who is very devoted but still need to hear more reassurance thanks in advance

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I want to ask people for their thoughts, I recentley bought a video game with a credit card, when I went to sign the clerk said here your signing to sell me your soul. I told him no I wouldnt sign for that and canceled the transaction but he restarted it and I signed and hit okay. I am afraid I did something wrong it just didnt feel right but I want to hear what your thoughts and some words to put me more at ease. I have returned the game now and spoke with my grandmither who is very devoted but still need to hear more reassurance thanks in advance

I'm 100% certain the clerk was just having a bit of fun and didn't expect you to take it seriously.

You can't sell or sign over your soul, that's not a thing you can do.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Most probably the clerk was joking around. And if he wasn't, you still would have had to agree to the terms to have made a deal. And even if you did make a superficial mistake it was not fully-informed and intentional, therefore not binding.

1John 1:9 says that if we confess, God will both forgive and cleanse. I would suggest you do so rather than carry around the fear and guilt (even if it's false guilt, the burden is real when we buy into it). Resolve that next time this happens you will "be ready with an answer for the hope that lies within you", and able to use it as an opportunity to share how Jesus saved your soul.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Most probably the clerk was joking around. And if he wasn't, you still would have had to agree to the terms to have made a deal. And even if you did make a superficial mistake it was not fully-informed and intentional, therefore not binding.

1John 1:9 says that if we confess, God will both forgive and cleanse. I would suggest you do so rather than carry around the fear and guilt (even if it's false guilt, the burden is real when we buy into it). Resolve that next time this happens you will "be ready with an answer for the hope that lies within you", and able to use it as an opportunity to share how Jesus saved your soul.

The point remains, however, that if you hand me a piece of paper and say, "Sign here and your soul belongs to me." that it wouldn't mean anything. Even if I really believed it was binding, it would still just be a stupid piece of paper and nothing would come of it. You can't sign away your soul, you can't sell your soul. That's not a thing that can happen. It made for an entertaining Simpsons episode, but cartoons aren't reality.

Let's imagine for a moment I offer you a piece of paper which says that you will sign over to me your ability to contemplate about the color purple. Does it really mean anything, can you really give that away by signing a piece of paper? Of course you can't, by signing your name you can't give away thinking about purple, you can think about purple anytime you darn well want because that's not a "thing" that can be bought, sold, or traded. And we would rightfully agree that such an agreement is meaningless and entirely silly. Likewise, the entire idea of signing over your soul is a completely silly idea with absolutely no basis in reality or possibility.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't sign away your soul, you can't sell your soul. That's not a thing that can happen.

-CryptoLutheran
If a person believes they have done this, their fear could impede their freedom. Ultimately this could lead to everlasting destruction which if the person had kept faith in God's will to keep them, perhaps they would have a better fate.

OP, put your trust in God, nobody is more powerful.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, @ViaCrucis, but solemn decisions have consequences. Such decisions are not merely fleeting or intrusive thoughts or light speech, but fully-informed commitments. Scripture speaks of being taken captive by the devil to do his will, and not even necessarily in a willing, knowledgeable context. And demonization is a known biblical phenomenon. We shouldn't minimize any of this.

However, OP, even in the extreme case of a solemn decision, the Blood of Christ is greater. Jesus has the power to break all bondage, all misinformed or mistaken vows, and set anyone free. No one is beyond redemption.

Upvote 0