Saying "no" to husband and uncle

Sep 22, 2012
✟9,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I now live with husband and uncle. I get ssi, uncle gets ssi and also has a part time job at a used car lot. Husband just applied for ssi.

We don't have a lot of money but need a second set of wheels (no public trans.) If uncle was free from taking us to appointments, he could get a real job. I could work or volunteer part time (husband even more disabled than me and needs transportation to over 10 doctors)

But uncle and husband have been pushing me to get this classic car at the lot. I ended up saying no, but guys not happy, how do I not feel guilty? It would be my car, i don't want a muscle car!!! I want a minivan or suv!

Sep 22, 2012
✟9,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is what is really happening:

Uncle is a mechanic at the lot. He's working on the muscle car, but really wants it for himself, he wants to get it before someone else does. We can only afford one set of wheels right now, so he's trying to persuade me to get the car, then in the future buy it from me.... Husband likes cars like that... what do I do???

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I work with a local agency that helps people on the marginal edge of financial problems, so we get training. All the training says, buy the worthwhile car, the one that will do what you need done, not the fancy one. In other words, the SUV.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Main thing is unless your wealthy theres no reason they should pressure you into a muscle car. Muscle cars, sports cars, luxury cars....etc are not needed unless you have the time and money. If they want the muscle car they can go buy it. Well not counting your husband lol.

Me? There are lots of nice cars I love but in todays world most can't afford a brand new car, let alone a expensive one. Some even stick to junkers because its all they can get. I'd be frustrated if I was pressured into buying a muscle car. Not to mention you run into issues like how good the gas mileage? how much are repairs? How easy it to find parts for?...etc. They need to be practical.

Upvote 0