• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Say to someone who lost a loved one?

mamaneenie

Oct 30, 2003
Australia
✟18,646.00
Faith
Christian
blaah4Him said:
Well, one of my friends just lost his grandfather...and this has happened a lot, but I always get anxious over what I should say to someone who has just lost a loved one. I'm always afraid I'll say the wrong thing or offend them or something. What should one say, anyhow?
It depends on the situation. This is one I struggle with too. I think the best thing to do is tell them you care. Tell them you don't know what to say, sometimes the best thing to do is be there, even if you don't say anything.

Make sure they are taking care of themselves. Sometimes when people are grieving they don't want to eat, shower, and do other things that they may normally do.

Also, don't assume that in a few weeks time they are "over it" sometimes it takes a while to work through the grieving process, and the time it takes sometimes depends on how close they were to the person who died. Be available to talk, even if they still want to talk about it 6 months from now.

Upvote 0

MsAnne

:)
Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
✟12,333.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I would say avoid cliches. I lost my father, then within weeks lost my brother. If one more person came up to me and told me they "were in a better place", I was going to scream. Yes, they were both Christians. I KNEW they were in a better place, but that didn't ease MY pain any. I know the people who offered that phrase were at a loss as to what else to say, so I would just smile and agree with them.

Other than avoiding cliches, I would say anything that comes from your heart would be welcomed. Thank you for your post. It's a good question.

Upvote 0

water_ripple

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟1,561.00
Faith
Christian
blaah4Him said:
Well, one of my friends just lost his grandfather...and this has happened a lot, but I always get anxious over what I should say to someone who has just lost a loved one. I'm always afraid I'll say the wrong thing or offend them or something. What should one say, anyhow?
Sometimes words are unfitting..Sometimes hugs and shared tears are the way that eases the time of the passing. In the face of sorrow the best way to uplift someone is to show them the love you have for them.

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A hug and a caring smile goes a long way. Let's the person know that you are there. If they want to talk, just make sure you listen, and they know you are listening. As far as what to say all you can say is "I'm sorry for your loss". Nothing you can do will bring them back.

Upvote 0