Krikey

Mar 27, 2014
sellersville,pa
✟15,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Saw the movie "God Does Not Exist" and really enjoyed it. The theater was packed from the back until the front. It was a good reminder of the questions people make to Christians and the demands and rudeness that is tossed at them (at times).

Just thought I'd recommend it to anyone who is considering the movie. Although, unlike the previews, the movie is not entirely about the debate of whether God exists or does not exist. It does have some background story line concerning the main character's girlfriend and his professor.

As a young adult I could relate, but everyone of all ages seemed to enjoy the movie.

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Do you mean the 'God's not Dead' film?

I haven't seen the film, but from what I've seen, it seems to misrepresent philosophy. Philosophy is about using reason, and thinking for yourself, not believing something just because an authority says so. So why would a philosophy professor tell people to profess a particular belief?

My degree is philosophy, and it's obviously counter to philosophy to tell students what to believe on an issue like that.

I wonder if the film is much more than a character attack on atheists.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh, yeah, my philosophy professor ranted about this movie a bit. First of all, the premise is unrealistic. No professor would get away with that. Second of all, if you're going to choose to have the philosophy professor say "God is dead" and work it into the freaking movie title, you should understand what the phrase actually means and be aware of its original context. If a philosophy professor said that, he wouldn't be saying that God doesn't exist.

It has 13% on Rotten Tomatoes. ^_^

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Oh, yeah, my philosophy professor ranted about this movie a bit. First of all, the premise is unrealistic. No professor would get away with that. Second of all, if you're going to choose to have the philosophy professor say "God is dead" and work it into the freaking movie title, you should understand what the phrase actually means and be aware of its original context. If a philosophy professor said that, he wouldn't be saying that God doesn't exist.

It has 13% on Rotten Tomatoes. ^_^

If I remember correctly, 'God is dead' means something like, 'the idea of God has lost influence over the values and actions of people in society'. The question Nietzsche raises after the death of God, is how we will form our ultimate values which we base our lives on, and their meaning.

The 'Parable of the Madman' Nietzsche is quite interesting to read. Here's part:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/nietzsche-madman.asp

"The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him---you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him."

Last edited:
Upvote 0