In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a mildly religious family. As I became older, I drifted away from the Church and as we weren't really that religious to begin with, no one really noticed.
By the time I was in High School I had become an Atheist. I relished the thought of belittling people for their religious beliefs. I knew all the tricks of undermining the historicity of the Bible, speaking of the fact that the canon was only established later, that there is no proof of God. I used scientific and empiric arguments as weapons to crush well meaning classmates with cold logic. I was in short, an intellectual bully.
I would scoff at bible stories and miracles and have a condescending attitude of pitying the poor Christians for their stupidity. I was really quite a pompous ass if I look back at it.

This continued into University, only my Atheism becoming more pronounced and militant to the point of denouncing any display of religion, blaming all the evils of the world on religion, showing no respect at all to its adherents.

In spite of this, I did manage to have some religious friends, clearly much better people than I was, and one day my one friend gave me a copy of Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. I was ready to laugh at him and accepted the book with the intention of refuting it and showing the poor man why he was deluded if he thought God existed. I was ready to attack every point in the book, on the look out for any error. I was going to give him a copy of Bertrand Russel's 'Why I am not a Christian' in retaliation and enjoy him flailing in my superior 'logic'.

But CS Lewis was so reasonable, so captivating, so basically decent in what he said. His arguments played straight to my own love of history, his description of Christianity so warm and inviting, while still having a backbone. His denunciation of too simple versions of Christianity, his clear descriptions and arguments won me over. It was a good book which I thoroughly enjoyed and I thanked my friend.

I was not yet a Christian, but a crack was opened in my hard shell. I saw how silly I had been, how close-minded while thinking I was a "free-thinker". I listened to the Christians in my path, I re-evaluated the 'scientific' views I had held and realised that only Agnosticism was actually scientific. This led me to further study the philosophy behind religion and the more I moved away from Atheism, the nicer I became. People commented on how much I had changed.
It was only then, that I noticed the faint call of the Divine. In the silent hours of the night there was the gnawing uncertainty of maybe Christianity was true. There were the coincidences that seemed to many to not be signs (for instance, my girlfriend verbalised doubts about religion and just then she suddenly got a text about a bible study out of nowhere. There were many such "coincidences").
My scientifically trained mind revolted, I fought off these feelings, I tried in vain to escape, but slowly I was pushed onto my knees and started to pray. It was hard and uncomfortable at first, difficult, I thought I would just try it and see if maybe there was something to it.

My world changed. Soon I felt the Presence of God and saw the beauty of creation (which I had despised). Alongside, unfortunately, came the realisation of my own terrible sins, my worthlessness, the emptiness that my life had been. I now knew that I was nothing and my world crumbled.
Luckily, God stepped in. My Christian girlfriend helped bring me to the realisation of the fact that Grace had saved me from the depraved and worthless thing that I was without it. I learnt to trust in the Cross.
It was difficult, as it still is. For CS Lewis said it best: "I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity". Even today, six years later, I still struggle. I feel the crushing weight of my sins and my unworthiness before God, but I also feel the indescribable Love of God upon me at times. I look back at my former self and shudder, for Christ has made me a new man, still flawed but a whole lot better and I trust that one day He will make me perfect and whole.

So to whoever is reading this, never give up on the Atheists you meet. CS Lewis was an atheist. So was I. We were both led to God by well-meaning Christians against our wills. I am infinitely better for it and am unbelievably grateful to these people.
The atheist may scream and attack you and call you stupid or whatever, but they are poor sad children that miss the forest for the trees. They live in a sad dark hole that they dug for themselves. It is our duty to try and give them a hand out of it, for even if 9 out of 10 times they will snarl and bite the offered hand, they will be better for it. As Jesus said of His persecutors: "forgive them Father, they know not what they do".

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow.. that was incredibly beautiful.. the grace freely and willingly given, the love with unattached conditions.. the softening of your heart..His glory shining through. Thanks for sharing this awesome testimony of how God has worked through your heart and life, brother.
May God continue to grow you and mould you more into the likeness of Him. Faith to faith..glory to glory..one day at a time. Sometimes we stumble back and wander a bit, but His unrelenting love for us and for our soul always draws us back to Him.
We serve a pretty awesome God.

Upvote 0

Tom Hancock

Mar 10, 2016
New Albany, Ohio
✟9,360.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I grew up in a mildly religious family. As I became older, I drifted away from the Church and as we weren't really that religious to begin with, no one really noticed.
By the time I was in High School I had become an Atheist. I relished the thought of belittling people for their religious beliefs. I knew all the tricks of undermining the historicity of the Bible, speaking of the fact that the canon was only established later, that there is no proof of God. I used scientific and empiric arguments as weapons to crush well meaning classmates with cold logic. I was in short, an intellectual bully.
I would scoff at bible stories and miracles and have a condescending attitude of pitying the poor Christians for their stupidity. I was really quite a pompous ass if I look back at it.

This continued into University, only my Atheism becoming more pronounced and militant to the point of denouncing any display of religion, blaming all the evils of the world on religion, showing no respect at all to its adherents.

In spite of this, I did manage to have some religious friends, clearly much better people than I was, and one day my one friend gave me a copy of Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. I was ready to laugh at him and accepted the book with the intention of refuting it and showing the poor man why he was deluded if he thought God existed. I was ready to attack every point in the book, on the look out for any error. I was going to give him a copy of Bertrand Russel's 'Why I am not a Christian' in retaliation and enjoy him flailing in my superior 'logic'.

But CS Lewis was so reasonable, so captivating, so basically decent in what he said. His arguments played straight to my own love of history, his description of Christianity so warm and inviting, while still having a backbone. His denunciation of too simple versions of Christianity, his clear descriptions and arguments won me over. It was a good book which I thoroughly enjoyed and I thanked my friend.

I was not yet a Christian, but a crack was opened in my hard shell. I saw how silly I had been, how close-minded while thinking I was a "free-thinker". I listened to the Christians in my path, I re-evaluated the 'scientific' views I had held and realised that only Agnosticism was actually scientific. This led me to further study the philosophy behind religion and the more I moved away from Atheism, the nicer I became. People commented on how much I had changed.
It was only then, that I noticed the faint call of the Divine. In the silent hours of the night there was the gnawing uncertainty of maybe Christianity was true. There were the coincidences that seemed to many to not be signs (for instance, my girlfriend verbalised doubts about religion and just then she suddenly got a text about a bible study out of nowhere. There were many such "coincidences").
My scientifically trained mind revolted, I fought off these feelings, I tried in vain to escape, but slowly I was pushed onto my knees and started to pray. It was hard and uncomfortable at first, difficult, I thought I would just try it and see if maybe there was something to it.

My world changed. Soon I felt the Presence of God and saw the beauty of creation (which I had despised). Alongside, unfortunately, came the realisation of my own terrible sins, my worthlessness, the emptiness that my life had been. I now knew that I was nothing and my world crumbled.
Luckily, God stepped in. My Christian girlfriend helped bring me to the realisation of the fact that Grace had saved me from the depraved and worthless thing that I was without it. I learnt to trust in the Cross.
It was difficult, as it still is. For CS Lewis said it best: "I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity". Even today, six years later, I still struggle. I feel the crushing weight of my sins and my unworthiness before God, but I also feel the indescribable Love of God upon me at times. I look back at my former self and shudder, for Christ has made me a new man, still flawed but a whole lot better and I trust that one day He will make me perfect and whole.

So to whoever is reading this, never give up on the Atheists you meet. CS Lewis was an atheist. So was I. We were both led to God by well-meaning Christians against our wills. I am infinitely better for it and am unbelievably grateful to these people.
The atheist may scream and attack you and call you stupid or whatever, but they are poor sad children that miss the forest for the trees. They live in a sad dark hole that they dug for themselves. It is our duty to try and give them a hand out of it, for even if 9 out of 10 times they will snarl and bite the offered hand, they will be better for it. As Jesus said of His persecutors: "forgive them Father, they know not what they do".
Wonderful story man! I've constantly met people who mock religion and feel as if all christians are simply dumb people. To hear from someone who has gone through what some of the kids at my school go through is a beautiful story. You are a very strong man...God bless you :)

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2014
✟15,144.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Greetings,
I just wanted to tell you how much your testimony meant to me. You see my heart aches for my son who has turned his back on his Lord. We are a devout Christ centered family, the immediate and distant family is a family full of believers, on both my side and my husbands.
Much about your story reminds me of where my son is at right now. When he first told us he is now an atheist, we had many discussions, mostly with him making us look bad for believing. He is very good at debating, and he is always right and despite the fact that my husband has 8 years of theological training according to my son his dad is wrong. Now, We no longer talk faith with him.
It is all very sad. Thank you for reminding me to not give up on the atheist. There are many times I just feel it's hard to have him around, I feel his mocking. But at the same time he loves us, and he's very sensitive, and he wants to be a big part of the family, just not part of our faith. He was very concerned about being left out of the family when he claimed his atheism.
I guess my question to you is this. How do I act around him now. How or what do I do to bring him back to faith?
Thank you for listening.
Vanessa

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Dear Mrs. Berkesch

I am sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I don't know a method that will definately work. Its hard to approach an atheist with religious material. Your son sounds more reasonable than I was however, so I would suggest asking him to read Mere Christianity. It worked for me and Lewis has been called the Apostle to the Atheists, but there is no guarantee.
Atheists are alone and their worldview tends to be a shade darker, so don't give up on him. Don't fight about religion, but don't act less religious around him. If he wants to be a part of the family, he will then at least be exposed to the concepts and worldview again and perhaps at some point, maybe only in a few years though, he will re-evaluate his beliefs and often that little crack in the atheist facade is all that God needs.
Atheists always believe they are right and will adopt the flimsiest excuse not to believe if need be. His father's theologically training is probably not really an asset, for I would have seen such a person as inherently biased and discarded all his views. You must address him in his own jargon for him to take note, scientific speak if he is inclined to empiricism or philosophic if he has a more metaphysical bend.
It will be very hard going I am afraid, for an Atheist first needs to be convinced of the existence of a god/s before they can be brought to heel before God Himself. If he is very scientifically inclined, then discuss the philosophic basis of science, so he at least realises that Agnosticism is the only scientific religious view, that at least softens him a bit to the idea.
It takes time and effort and a thick skin to insults and petty barbs to begin the conversion process. I shall be praying for you and I hope the best for your endeavours.

Sincerely
Quid est Veritas?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

forGod1

Jul 29, 2010
Saskatchewan, Canada
✟9,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would bash religion for purposes of disowning the idea of God to feel better about the shape of billions of people. They couldn't be lost, and if so, how would I save them? That's pretty much the logic I used to ignoring God. Mind you, atheism with me was always a front, as I have seen major miracles. It all came back to me caring too much about people that are too wrapped up in this world of satanic slavery. I will explain it better in Heaven, Friend. Ask God to talk to Trevor. LOL. :)

Reactions: psalmbody
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd like to ask, if you don't mind...do you think you could have become Christian based on your study alone if you hadn't heard that call of the Divine?

I've done a lot of reading and would like to stay Christian but am slipping into agnosticism. I wonder if the key is hearing that call. I've prayed for something like that but to no avail so far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to ask, if you don't mind...do you think you could have become Christian based on your study alone if you hadn't heard that call of the Divine?

I've done a lot of reading and would like to stay Christian but am slipping into agnosticism. I wonder if the key is hearing that call. I've prayed for something like that but to no avail so far.

In my experience, mostly you just hear the deafening silence of your own desires, thoughts and wants. It is difficult to put yourself aside so that God can come flowing in, to recreate you. I don't find Christianity easy at all. I'll be the first to say I am not really the world's best Christian. But Faith is holding on to what you once accepted in spite of your changing moods (paraphrase of Lewis), and you will come around again when your momentary lapse has run its course or God has sent someone or something on your path.

On study alone, you always reach basic questions like Does God Exist? on which no human answer can be given as all arguments for or against it also has plausible counter-arguments. Likewise on such ideas as the Incarnation or nature of Jesus' ministry, there are multiple interpretations.
The way I see it, study opens the door, it brings you to the threshold like Virgil at the Gates of Heaven in Dante. It can't lead you to God Himself alone, because it is fallible and human. You need God Himself, a tutor if you will, to lead you to which doctrines hold Truth and which are error. My 'faint call' as I called it, was not an 'experience', a revelation or some overpowering sense, more akin to the feeling of having a cup of coffee with your friend, drawing you in. Sometimes you read something you reject out of hand, but if you stick with it, you might see the worth thereof. I realised there is something here, something I need, but if I chase it too vigourously I become mired in minutiae of history or doctrine or opinion. My call was like a Father teaching his son, little by little, first to sit up then walk then talk etc. almost imperceptible change, but when you look back, everything is different. Sometimes you stumble or ignore or fail to understand, as that is human.
I see no reason why that incremental approach can't be continued indefinately to God. In my case, my Father put me down one day and said "listen, we need to talk" and I felt repeatedly forced to pray, almost compelled to call upon Him in my unworthiness. Initially, it was like I told myself I have to force a change, either accept this path I was following, to test it so that I can discard it and go back to my comfortable existence as a naturalistic materialist. I was brought to a crisis, a breaking point of acceptance of God or not. If I had rejected God I would just have wrote it off as a momentary lapse and thought no more of it, but looking back on it now, I see the way God brought me down before Him and then embraced me.
There was nothing specifically otherworldly at the time, the key word being Faith. You have to choose God, to place your trust in something which many deny, to make that last leap of this is Truth. I don't think study can make that final step for we are too fallible in our knowledge or too proud to admit that. Some reach the point of Faith through a sudden revelation or Call, others I think almost imperceptively. Most probably somewhere in between the two extremes, which is where I think I belong on this spectrum.

I shall pray for you, but the fact that you want to remain a Christian is probably enough for God to work with. He will lead you down the path best suited for you I am sure, as long as you are willing to follow.
But don't be disheartened, some have overpowering visions and others just almost tedious day to day paths. The Shepherd will call his sheep home by whichever path He thinks it best for them to trod.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like your Testimonium a lot! My favorite C.S. Lewis insight is his observation that living beings are not created with desires that do not have a corresponding way to satisfy those desires...his arrow pointing to God argument.

I'm glad you're in here! You are so intelligent!!

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I like your Testimonium a lot! My favorite C.S. Lewis insight is his observation that living beings are not created with desires that do not have a corresponding way to satisfy those desires...his arrow pointing to God argument.

I'm glad you're in here! You are so intelligent!!
You flatter me, my friend. Nice to know people are reading what I write though.

Personally, I find little of CS Lewis I don't like. It certainly is strange to think a desire for something non-existent could develop, as the Naturalists would have us believe. You are certainly an asset to the Theist camp yourself, here on CF. I look forward to interacting more with you.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hi, wow!
What a fabulous post? X

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I was ready to attack every point in the book, on the look out for any error. I was going to give him a copy of Bertrand Russel's 'Why I am not a Christian' in retaliation and enjoy him flailing in my superior 'logic'.
I think we're related. ^_^

Upvote 0

Brandon Costa

Jun 17, 2017
California
✟11,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I loved this story. I'm 47 now and can you believe it I'm in this battle right now. I became a Christian when I was in my early 20s because of severe anxiety. Believing and praying to God was the only thing that brought me out. Eventually I went to college and I tried to keep my faith going but my intelligence and sinful nature got the best of me and I drifted apart. My anxiety was under control and I felt I was fooling myself with the faith.
So for 15 years or so I've been falling further from the faith and bashing Christians for the same reasons you were. I'm a skeptic by nature, and definitely scientific minded. I was so sure of myself, and I felt superior enough to just laugh at the believers. I read lots of books and watched tons of videos on science , philosophy and logic just to arm myself.
It finally came to a point where I told my girlfriend of 10 years I don't believe in God. We never went to church but this really bothered her as she was raised Catholic. My thought was, "oh well" and never brought it up again.
And even though I knew I wasn't as happy or fulfilled as I should be or as I once was ,I was fine. But my daughter started doing drugs and had experienced some trauma, and I was absorbing all this pain and the anxiety returned for her sake. I could control myself (I thought) but there was definitely no way I could control her pain or make her stop her path of destruction. I was at a loss. I didn't know what to do.
But knowing what God did for me, I surrendered and hit my knees and prayed. Please take this pain away. Please help my daughter at least.
Its been about 3-4 months since I did this and things are better. I've been reading the bible like I never have before and pray at minimum the Lords Prayer daily. I'm still struggling with the thoughts of doubt, so that really has been my focus. My faith was so small I was asking everyone I knew that I thought had greater faith to pray for my daughter. I often feel God was so disappointed in the way I behaved the past few years he had forgotten me.

Anyway, sorry to use your board for my testimony, but once I started typing I just kept going, lol.
I loved you testimony and pray that your walk with God grows stronger.

Upvote 0