ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am baptist. Believe have to be saved thru christ to go to heaven. also I know that is in scripture to be baptized. I have been, but what about those folks who haven't been? will they not go? I know scripture says yes. if this is the case what about all the folks we are seeing saved when knocking doors? We invite them to church to confess their beliefs and follow in belivers baptism. Sadly, most do not. Is this all for nothing?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am baptist. Believe have to be saved thru christ to go to heaven. also I know that is in scripture to be baptized. I have been, but what about those folks who haven't been? will they not go? I know scripture says yes. if this is the case what about all the folks we are seeing saved when knocking doors? We invite them to church to confess their beliefs and follow in belivers baptism. Sadly, most do not. Is this all for nothing?
Most folks make a profession of faith just to get you out of their face so no they are not saved. That type of evangelism is a perversion of the Gospel and does nothing for the sinner but make you feel better about yourself.

As to the answer about being baptized, no it will not keep you out of Heaven to not be baptized if you never have the opportunity to do so but to refuse to be baptized is to refuse to follow the Lord in His commandment to do so. Baptism is the answer of a good conscience to the Lord and to refuse it is evidence that you are not saved.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most folks make a profession of faith just to get you out of their face so no they are not saved. That type of evangelism is a perversion of the Gospel and does nothing for the sinner but make you feel better about yourself.

As to the answer about being baptized, no it will not keep you out of Heaven to not be baptized if you never have the opportunity to do so but to refuse to be baptized is to refuse to follow the Lord in His commandment to do so. Baptism is the answer of a good conscience to the Lord and to refuse it is evidence that you are not saved.

thanks, this was heavy on my mind today..thinking of a couple family members..one who was saved a few months ago..the other years ago..but have not proceeded with believers baptism..and of those that are seen saved on saturdays knocking doors...very few come to our church..now whether they go elsewhere who knows...thanks for the input..

do you mind telling me what makes you a calvinist?

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
thanks, this was heavy on my mind today..thinking of a couple family members..one who was saved a few months ago..the other years ago..but have not proceeded with believers baptism..and of those that are seen saved on saturdays knocking doors...very few come to our church..now whether they go elsewhere who knows...thanks for the input..

do you mind telling me what makes you a calvinist?
The Bible. ;) Actually I am a Calvinist because of years of study in theology and prayerful study of the Scriptures. I hold to what are known as the Doctrines of Grace, also TULIP. I really don't like the TULIP acronym for I find it misleading in many ways. I prefer the terms Total Depravity, Unconditional electing love, Particular and Effective Redemption, Effectual Calling and Preservation of the Saints.

Glad that I could be of help to you. :)

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible. ;) Actually I am a Calvinist because of years of study in theology and prayerful study of the Scriptures. I hold to what are known as the Doctrines of Grace, also TULIP. I really don't like the TULIP acronym for I find it misleading in many ways. I prefer the terms Total Depravity, Unconditional electing love, Particular and Effective Redemption, Effectual Calling and Preservation of the Saints.

Glad that I could be of help to you. :)
I guess I have to go look those up huh..lol

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I guess I have to go look those up huh..lol
I would be glad to help you understand what those doctrines are and the Scriptural support for them. But I would rather do it through PM as you will be distracted by those who oppose the truth of those things in the public forum.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
John the Baptist baptised with water, but Christ baptises with the Holy Spirit.
The water Christ baptises in alternatively is Living Water, which is not 'terrestrial' water i.m.o.
Water baptism is our public indentification with Christ. It is a symbol of the truth of the Gospel. We are buried with Him in baptism and raised again from the watery grave to a newness of life. Rom. 6:3-11

Baptism doesn't save but it most certainly symbolizes the salvation we experience by faith.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Just to be clear...we're talking about Baptism of the Spirit? If so, then I'll agree. If you're talking about a water baptism, you might want to reread the latter part of John 1.

A water baptism is just like a wedding ring. You don't have to have one to be married, but married people usually wear them as an outward (public) display of an inner vow. It is the same with water baptism. Baptism of the Spirit is the holy union itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi ML,

In the Scriptures, Jesus, while speaking to a gathered crowd of people much like us, gives them some instructions in how they should live, what they should be seeking, and finally, the last days and his Father's day of judgment. It is referred to as the 'sermon on the mount'. He begins this teaching by telling them the kind of people who will be blessed. Those who are poor in spirit, meek and humble, those who thirst for righteousness, etc. When reading this list, I often take out the word 'blessed' and insert 'this is what my Father asks of me'. He asks me to be poor in spirt, meek and humbe, thirsty for rightousness, etc.

He continues to teach them of their being salt and light in this dark world when they become born again believers faithful to the love and truth of God. He explains to them his purpose as it regards the law of his Father and then ends that piece of teaching with a zinger that surely gives us pause to consider how important our seeking after righteousness really is to our Father. He says to them that unless their righteousness is greater than that of the Pharisees and teachers, they will not enter the kingdom of heaven. That had to be a tough nut to swallow for a group of people and a culture that believed that the Pharisees and teachers were the epitome of righteousness. You didn't get to be a Pharisee or teacher in Israel unless you were seen as holy and righteous. Upright standing before God. And, of course, the underlying message in this comment he made is telling the people that these Pharisees and teachers aren't going to heaven either. He pretty clearly tells them that one's righteousness must be greater than what they have to get into heaven.

Then he goes on to give them instruction on how a murderous heart filled with hate and anger towards others was the same thing as actually taking someone's life in God's sight. He teaches on the severity and consequences of divorce and making oaths. How important having mercy and love for those who we understand as doing us wrong in their thoughts and deeds. How we should see and practice our giving to help the less fortunate. Praying and fasting. What we need to consider as our 'treasure' and the uselessness of worrying about what tomorrow holds as regards this life. He then tells them about judging others and the consequences thereof and how much our Father wants to provide for us, if we will just turn to Him in love and trust and ask him.

Finally, he gives them, and us, some warnings about following after God. He warns them that the way to eternal life is a narrow way. He indicates pretty clearly that most people aren't going in that way. His words, "only a few find it". That we must be diligent in carefully considering what others tell us for there will be false prophets and false teachers.

But, it is the next teaching which, I believe, may have some information regarding your question. Jesus talks about the day of his Father's judgment and tells those in attendance that not everyone who calls him Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven. What!!? He says that this group of people, which he numbers as 'many', which we must consider will only include a subset of those who are calling out to him Lord, Lord. In other words, I want to make clear that these people are not the agnostics or the atheists or the muslims or buddhists of the world. Not at all any of these, but Jesus describes these people as one's who have spent their lives doing miracles and driving out demons in the name of Jesus while living among us. These are people that call themselves christians. They are likely on these boards and in our fellowships sitting right alongside of us and even teaching us the ways of righteousness. They are raising their hands when asked if they have 'been saved'. They have the little 'cross' or 'Jesus' bumper stickers on their cars. They are claiming miracles and struggling with demons in the name of Jesus and they are 'many', not 'few'.

So, how does this relate to your question? Well, first off, be careful about who you take your scriptural advice from. Is that person a part of the 'many' or the 'few'? How do we know? Well, my best advice is to check it against the Scriptures. This is what the Bereans did when Paul, who we know was a believer who knew the truth, was teaching them, and the Scriptures commend them for this. Do likewise!

Here's the evidence that I find available in the Scriptures regarding baptism and its importance to our salvation. First, Jesus says at one place, only those who believe and are baptized will be saved. However, whether or not this sentence is actually in the original manuscripts is debated and so I must weigh that in my understanding. But, there is more. Jesus' final words to his disciples when instructing them to go out and spread the gospel into all the world concludes with his saying to them that they will be 'teaching them to obey all that he has commanded and baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Spirit'. For me, this separates out those teachings that claim some different baptism of spirit over water baptism. While I absolutely agree that there is a spirit baptism, I don't so agree that this is the baptism that Jesus is instructing his disciples to carry out. Finally, in every situation we are given in the new covenant writings of someone coming to faith in the Lord, it is immediately followed up by water baptism.

Paul, is baptized after his blindness is cured by Ananias. At one point Jesus instructs his disciples to go out and baptize. John the Baptist is baptizing. The eunuch who comes to faith at the teaching of Phillip immediately requests to be baptized and stops right on the side of the road at some water. When someone came to faith through Paul's teaching we find that the very next stop was to be baptized. Being baptized after coming to faith seems to be the normative process we find in the new covenant writings.

But, let me make clear that just being baptized isn't going to usher anyone into the kingdom of God on its own merits. First, there must be faith. Understanding and trust that God is the God we find in the Scriptures and that His Son died for our sin. We must have a heart that has suddenly turned from, 'Ok, here I am on the road of life just following along with what everyone else is doing', to 'Ok, here I am on the road of life and it's now clear to me that I've been going the wrong way. There is a God and I will seek Him with all diligence'. If the person with that heart is baptized, then Jesus may have said that he will be saved, but it seems that all of the other teachings and evidence also say that he will.

Now, many will claim to you that this just can't be true because the thief on the cross wasn't baptized. We don't know that. We really don't have any evidence that he was or wasn't baptized. We do know that he had heard of Jesus and his teachings because he asks Jesus to remember him when he (Jesus) comes into his kingdom. There is no evidence that Jesus ever mentions any kingdom while on the cross. So, the question must be asked, although likely can't be answered with any degree of certainty: Did the thief have some measure of faith before he found himself on that cross and is it possible that as he had journeyed to this place in his life that he had crossed paths with John the Baptist or the disciples as they were out teaching and baptizing, and was baptized?

My final bit of evidence is, I think, the most telling. Jesus himself, the Son of God, who knew no sin and never stumbled, when John the Baptist balked at baptizing him, seems to have calmly turned to John and said, 'this is to fulfill all righteousness'.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some people always want to drag out the thief on the cross to demonstrate you dont need to be baptised to be saved idea but...when John the baptist was baptising he baptised almost everyone except those who wouldnt repent...the pharisees. They didnt demonstrate any fruits of repentence.

The thief on the cross certainly repented of his unbelief. Also remember that jewish people in the day all had the purification ritual of the mikvah. The baptism of the holy spirit is the inner baptism, the outer baptism is the water baptism that everyone can see. They are meant to be one and the same but as you read in the bible before jesus was taken up to heaven the water baptism occured first.

If theres any doubt just think how can anyone be resurrected without the spirit of the living God raising him or her...it must be from within. Anyone who would oppose baptism for a christian obviously hasnt read what the bible says about it..

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By all means I believe that a person is saved once they confess their sins and ask jesus into their heart...baptism is just a means of showing folks what you have done and that you are going forth with a new life in christ..I believe you are changed after becoming saved bc you receive the spirit then

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So..not sure what your issue is. You cant pronounce a person saved and set apart if they havent actually repented and consequently be baptized.

For example, my friend heard the gospel and became a christian when some christians showed up at her doorstep and told her and her sister the gospel. But this was five days before she passed away. She was lost at sea, im certain that God worked something in her that she got her baptism. She never got the chance to go to church...but she was quite deep in her lifestyle and hanging round unbelievers. In her case, bad choices she had made previously meant she had to deal with the consequences...its not always the thing that when someone gets saved they go to church and live a long life and become a missionary...

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes the righteous are taken so they dont fall into further sin..in Gods loving mercy and also with the thief on the cross he was paying the penalty of his previous conviction, its not that once you become a christian you just get off scot free from all the consequences of your previous sinful choices. The important thing is belief first and faith in Jesus himself. The thief expressed belief in Jesus as recorded in the gospel that he would see him come into his Kingdom...it wasnt that he stopped stealing (well, we dont know, but he couldnt do anymore stealing while being crucified) .

I just wanted to explain that, not to justify thieving but to show Gods mercy. Had he lived longer sure he would have been part of Jesus church and lived a changed christian life for the rest of his days on earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

ml5363,

I consider that in water baptism two factors need to be considered:

1. On the basis of Matt. 28:18-20 (ESV), water baptism (which is my understanding of this passage) is part of what it means to 'go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them ...' Therefore, if baptism is associated with discipleship, it generally has to be taught to new (and older) converts to Christ.

2. Even when it is taught, people can choose to obey or disobey what Scripture teaches.

That means that not being baptised will not keep one out of heaven. However, be aware that there are those who contend that one needs to be baptised to be saved, based on a passage such as Mark 16:16 (ESV), 'Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned'.

That sounds very clear, except for what is stated by the Bible translators as an explanation immediately prior to Mark 16:9. The ESV states, 'Some of the earliest manuscripts do not include 16:9-20'.

My understanding is that Mark 16:9-20 was inserted by a copyist while transcribing MSS after the originals. If one accepts Mark 16:9-20, one also has to accept Mark 16:18 (ESV), 'they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover'.

Some thoughts from a fellow traveller.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Too bad no one in here would answer my question I'm forced to put in general theology. Some of the answers in here make baptism sound like it never should have been added to Scripture. I agree in principle with the op and the way twin out it.

So, Mike, do you believe Scripture teaches that believers need to be water baptised to be saved? What is your understanding of the nature and need of water baptism?

Oz

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont think anything was added to scripture because I read the KJV and theres certainly no loopholes about it.

Jesus expected all believers to be baptized...Jesus was baptised himself. It is not a hard thing to be baptised. My grand aunty became a christian in the rest home and was baptised. I think if someone is serious about their faith they will profess it, and God will press on our hearts to obey him in this area.

I was chatting with this lady who told me about leading someone to the Lord who had lived a life of sin aboard a cruise ship. She immediately wanted to be baptised and she was baptised in the ocean.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So, Mike, do you believe Scripture teaches that believers need to be water baptised to be saved? What is your understanding of the nature and need of water baptism?

Oz
1. Yes and no. As I put it before Faith is the conception and baptism is the birth. Sometimes people don't make it to birth. However one can't reject baptism, or even dismiss it because they believe it isn't what saves, and expect to enter heaven.
Matt 28:19,20. Mark 16:16. Acts 2:38. Just a few passages that clearly point to baptism.

2. Ah, that I can't really get into based on Baptist forum rules.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i am not having an issue...i have been saved and baptized..however, some one brought up both had to be done to go to heaven...I do not believe that...at the time was worried b/c I have a brother and mom that have been saved..but not baptized..was worried will not see them in heaven...

Upvote 0