Not open for further replies.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I snagged this from another thread in the OBOB forum.

Satanic Temple unveils goat-headed statue in Detroit

The freedom of religion at work in this country.

It looks like some people might be struggling with the concept that freedom of religion goes for all religions in this country and not just their own.

Last edited:

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not my taste, but hey, this is America after all.... freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of expression....

One of the few things I like about this country.

Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's not my taste, but hey, this is America after all.... freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of expression....
monsters demons, things people see are forbidden have always seemed cool to me.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
One of the few things I like about this country.

Well, apparently some people don't like them, except when the concepts apply to their own religion of preference or with their own personal politics. It must be difficult for some people not being allowed to suppress the freedom of religion of other people, simply because they don't like or agree with that particular religion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
monsters demons, things people see are forbidden have always seemed cool to me.

And that's okay. I'm fascinated with the ideas of monsters and demons myself. Cryptozoology and demonology are fascinating subjects, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It looks like some people might be struggling with the concept that freedom of religion goes for all religions in this country and not just their own.
Unveiled everywhere but their own city. Isn't that curious?

ST is an atheist bunch committed to religious satire and led by a man living under an alias.
The statue isn't a true reckoning of the Eliphas Levi Baphomet, known as , The Devil of Astral Light. (He was not the originator of this idol) This is because there are little children carved near the Baphomet base. This does not exist on the original of EL. But then again Eliphas Levi exacted his own artistic license when he designed his goat god. As did Aleister Crowley.

This Detroit creature was designed by TS specifically to invoke the Levi Baphomet image while mocking the scriptures as relates to Jesus invocation, suffer the little children to come unto me. Luke 18:16, Matthew 19:14, as example.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's a tempest in a teapot if I've ever seen one. Satanism as a religion probably has very few followers, though of course it's the symbolic nature of even having the statue in the first place that really matters to people. In which case, good for them, I suppose? I don't know what I'm supposed to feel here. It looks like something a teenager would've drawn on one of his school folders after listening to too much heavy metal.

I just can't get too riled up over symbolism that is transparently obvious and meant to shock religious sensibilities that are already degraded in much more real ways around the world. Try something like this in Saudi Arabia, where they actually behead people for witchcraft and the like. Then I'll be impressed. In an American context, it is yet more self-consciously "edgy" brats acting out and wasting money to throw a rave. The only people who react with hysteria (which is just what this group wants) are part of the rapidly-dwindling conservative Evangelical/Catholic/Mainline population who won't even matter in another twenty years...but you don't see them reacting with alarm about that, because it's way easier to go after obvious things like this. Go figure. The two groups (the "Satanists" and the cream puffs...er...American Christians) deserve one another, as one is a natural reaction to the rise and inevitable fall of the other. Ho hum. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Even Isreal made a golden calf, but that and of the same should be expected in the pagan sector who worship other gods. God didnt want those who belonged to Him doing that but rather to flee idolatry in its various forms (both outward and inward forms) of the same

Its actually as it should be given the times

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Even Isreal made a golden calf, but that and of the same should be expected in the pagan sector who worship other gods.

I imagine that most of the Satanists involved with the statue are Christians, Jews, and atheists.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

GrimKingGrim

The Thin Dead Line of sanity
Apr 13, 2015
Isle of Who?
✟10,468.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yea the Baphomet Statue was interesting to me. The ST did a good job using it to their advantage to keep Church and State separate in many areas, especially Saltlahoma (Oklahoma). It's like they respect the constitution or something. Really weird thing of Americans to do. Because what better group would Christians fear than Satanists?

As for the statue, I would go see it myself but I have religious friends all over the place so I really wouldn't be able to take pics with it... and I live in Virginia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
If Christians can have public displays of the Ten Commandments or Nativity scenes, then Satanists can have statutes placed on public display too. Muslims can also have public displays of their religion, as can any other religious people in this country. It would be their constitutional right and it would be protected religious expression.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont know what you are imagining, cant say I understand what you just wrote

I'm saying that the people involved aren't devil-worshippers. They're just people trying to make a point.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The freedom of religions has pretty much always existed among the Gentiles to serve othe gods and/or idols as people tend to gravitate to images again and again.

I think it might become more problematic (constitutionally so) if it ever comes to offering children to the same

But people these days, might be doing the same but considered to be a bit more sophisticated in the sacrificing their children (unto death) yeilding themselves unto the one they serve (in more of the invisible sense of who they do). Whereas long ago I heard their children were placed into the burning hands of an idol (as an offering) and then have to listen to the child scream in pain till death overtook them. Now its like they put them into the hands of those trained in killing them in the womb (where their screams cannot be heard). Well, I saw where the babies appear in the ultrasound itself to be screaming (and moving away from the instrument taking their life) as if feeling the pain but they cant be heard in the womb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That statue looks awesome!
It's not nice to mess with the LORD.......

1Sa 5:
3 And when the people of Ashdod arose early in the morning, there was Dagon, fallen on its face to the ground before the ark of the LORD.
So they took Dagon and set it in its place again.

4 And when they arose early the next morning, there was Dagon, fallen on its face to the ground before the ark of the LORD.
The head of Dagon and both the palms of its hands were broken off on the threshold; only Dagon's torsofn was left of it.

dagon2.jpg
vatican138_07.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's not nice to mess with the LORD.......

1Sa 5:
3 And when the people of Ashdod arose early in the morning, there was Dagon, fallen on its face to the ground before the ark of the LORD.
So they took Dagon and set it in its place again.

4 And when they arose early the next morning, there was Dagon, fallen on its face to the ground before the ark of the LORD.
The head of Dagon and both the palms of its hands were broken off on the threshold; only Dagon's torsofn was left of it.

Duel of the deities, fight!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.