Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Satan is a spirit, or a man?

Which do you think? Which is true?

Satan is not a bodiless spirit or ghost. He is male but not a human male. He is a former archangel. He can send his spirit forth and possess people as can his fellow evil angels. These are known as evil spirits.

Upvote 0

Colin.B.H

Jul 16, 2016
Tennessee
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Satan is not a bodiless spirit or ghost. He is male but not a human male. He is a former archangel. He can send his spirit forth and possess people as can his fellow evil angels. These are known as evil spirits.
Neither him nor his evil angels can go and posses humans these days. There for a short while around the time of Jesus there were demons in spirits of men but those were souls from torment that were demons agitated for a lack of better words. God only aloud this for a short time around the life of Jesus to help the people to believe that Jesus was Lord and Gods son.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Frisky Wren

IF YOU LOVE LIFE LIFE WILL LOVE YOU BACK
Jul 13, 2016
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,966.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
They certainly can and do.
No they don't and no they can not.
The Christian indwelt with God's holy spirit precludes that. Unless you wish to argue that Satan and his angels are stronger than God and his holy spirit.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What evidence are you basing this off of. Not meaning to sound bad just curious

The fact that nothing is written to have changed in this regard since the time of Christ. You claim it was just for a short period of time yet what is this based upon? People are possessed all the time and get the spirit cast out. Satan is freely doing what he has since the times of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No they don't and no they can not.
The Christian indwelt with God's holy spirit precludes that.

Even Peter was possessed by satan. Of course Satan can still possess people especially non-Christians.

Unless you wish to argue that Satan and his angels are stronger than God and his holy spirit.

Why would I do that? Would you do that? This is a nonsensical strawman fallacy.

Upvote 0

Frisky Wren

Jul 13, 2016
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,966.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Even Peter was possessed by satan. Of course Satan can still possess people especially non-Christians.
Which scripture do you read to say that of Peter.

Why would I do that? Would you do that? This is a nonsensical strawman fallacy.
Strawman charges don't apply here.
You're the one claiming a Christian can be possessed. That's not true. For it to be true as you believe Satan and his spirit angels would have to be stronger than the holy spirit of God that indwells that Christian.

That isn't to say a Christian can't be tempted by them. But the indwelt Christian cannot be possessed. The scriptures make that abundantly clear. Since you believe they can be you'd have to show the scriptures that state that.

Upvote 0

Colin.B.H

Jul 16, 2016
Tennessee
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The fact that nothing is written to have changed in this regard since the time of Christ. You claim it was just for a short period of time yet what is this based upon? People are possessed all the time and get the spirit cast out. Satan is freely doing what he has since the times of Christ.
My point being how do you know these people who are so called possessed by satin or one of his followers?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Which scripture do you read to say that of Peter.

Mar 8:32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
Mar 8:33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.

You're the one claiming a Christian can be possessed.

No, originally this was just about humans not specifically Christians but Peter was possessed by Satan so it is possible if one gives Satan a way in. Peter's passion was the issue here.

For it to be true as you believe Satan and his spirit angels would have to be stronger than the holy spirit of God that indwells that Christian.

It's the weakness of the person and their faith etc not a weakness in God.

That isn't to say a Christian can't be tempted by them. But the indwelt Christian cannot be possessed. The scriptures make that abundantly clear.

Which scriptures?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My point being how do you know these people who are so called possessed by satin or one of his followers?

Because they are the only ones who possess people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frisky Wren

Jul 13, 2016
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,966.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Mar 8:32 And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
Mar 8:33 But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.
Peter wasn't possessed. That whole chapter needs to be read for context. It was what we'd call today sarcasm. Satan was the adversary. Peter attempting to rebuke Christ was exhibiting the adverse behavior of one who would concur with Christ in that series.

No, originally this was just about humans not specifically Christians but Peter was possessed by Satan so it is possible if one gives Satan a way in. Peter's passion was the issue here.
Peter wasn't possessed by Satan.
Christians cannot be possessed by Satan. To think Jesus' disciple could be possessed while Jesus the son of God was there is to do the same thing as those which think indwelt Christians's can be possessed. Deny the power of almighty God. And especially when the Disciples, those of the number that stayed with Jesus in his ministry and did not depart from it, being 12 as in the tribes of Israel reflected, could be taken into custody of the enemy of God. Didn't happen. Doesn't happen today to indwelt Christians.

It's the weakness of the person and their faith etc not a weakness in God.
It is the susceptibility of the sinner who would be open to the chief among them. Not indwelt Christians.

Which scriptures?
I'll give you one. 1John 4:4. You'll have to study for yourself to find all the rest.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Peter wasn't possessed. That whole chapter needs to be read for context. It was what we'd call today sarcasm. Satan was the adversary. Peter attempting to rebuke Christ was exhibiting the adverse behavior of one who would concur with Christ in that series.

Well I disagree. Peter was possessed by Satan and Christ spoke to Satan by speaking to Peter.

Christians cannot be possessed by Satan.

Yes they can.

It is the susceptibility of the sinner who would be open to the chief among them. Not indwelt Christians.

Christians are also sinners and have weaknesses like Peter did.

I'll give you one. 1John 4:4. You'll have to study for yourself to find all the rest.

That doesn't prove Christians cannot be possessed.

1Pe 5:8 Be serious and keep watch; the Evil One, who is against you, goes about like a lion with open mouth in search of food;
1Pe 5:9 Do not give way to him but be strong in your faith, in the knowledge that your brothers who are in the world undergo the same troubles.

The fact that Christians are warned means it's possible for them to succumb to Satan if they have any weaknesses in their faith.

Ever hear of the Apostasy? Christians falling away to a false God is similar to being possessed as both are examples of weaknesses.

Upvote 0

Frisky Wren

Jul 13, 2016
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,966.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well I disagree. Peter was possessed by Satan and Christ spoke to Satan by speaking to Peter.
Really? Where in scripture does Jesus then cast out Satan from Peter? The same way the scriptures relate Jesus expelling demons in other people? What book, chapter, verse?

Yes they can.
Nominal Christians. Not indwelt Christians.

Indwelt Christians are Saints not sinners. Peter wasn't possessed by Satan.
That's a fact.

This is how indwelt Christians are to know this.

After Jesus rebuked the man Peter for speaking as one adverse to Jesus teachings of the five thousand Jesus, according to you who says Peter was possessed by Satan, let Peter remain possessed and went about his sermon that day.

He didn't cast out Satan from his own Disciple. Disciple and all that that means.

Jesus recognized he, the son of man, the only begotten son of God, who was a companion of Peter who was in Jesus company all that time, was able to be entered into by God's enemy. While in Jesus' presence.

Jesus, who cast out demons from others ignored the fact his Disciple was possessed by not a demon, but by the arch nemesis himself. Satan. And Satan was able to enter into the man that was with Jesus, who was indwelt with God's holy spirit, and Jesus let it be.

Yes, it does.
In fact now claiming indwelt Christians can be possessed by Satan has you contradicting what you claimed earlier in post 11.
I said: Unless you wish to argue that Satan and his angels are stronger than God and his holy spirit.
You replied: Why would I do that? Would you do that? This is a nonsensical strawman fallacy.

You're arguing that Satan can enter the temple of the holy spirit. That indwelt Christian that was redeemed and reborn by the blood sacrifice of Jesus. That Jesus sacrifice that cleansed that former sinner and allowed them to be reborn in Christ, saved, given eternal life, in the hand of Jesus whom no man can take from Jesus, is able to be possessed by Satan while in the care of Jesus.
According to you Satan is more powerful than the holy spirit. Because he can occupy the indwelt Christian and kick the holy spirit out.

That's the only way Satan could occupy an indwelt Christian. Satan and the holy spirit can't share the same person. Especially not the indwelt Christian and for all that that means about that new person. That reborn person.

You're wrong! And there isn't a single scripture in all the new testament that says an indwelt Christian can be possessed by Satan. Not one.
And you can certainly feel free to believe Peter was possessed. Sure enough. And then you'll have to defend that Jesus, who addressed Satan that possessed Peter, as you claim, left him there in Peter after rebuking Satan. Not a single passage says Jesus threw Satan out of Peter.
Satan was a name and a metaphor. In the Mark 8 chapter Satan was the metaphorical reference Jesus was referring to. Get ye behind me Satan. The entire chapter shares why Jesus would think to say that to Peter. But according to you Peter was possessed. And the rest of that chapter and chapter 9 prove, going by what you say of chapter 8, that Jesus left Satan in Peter. Because there is not one verse that says Jesus cast Satan out after that.
And Satan sure wouldn't voluntarily leave a Disciple of Christ once he got into him. For obvious reasons.

But you believe what you want. Don't think to teach Neogaia777 that false information that makes Jesus and God less powerful than Satan.

Neogaia777, read your Bible. I sought out articles on this topic to support the truth of the new testament because it is so vast you may not want to read it all just to find that it is true indwelt Christians can't be possessed. This article will give you a few Bible verses and support the fact that indwelt Christians, different than what are known as nominal, "name only" , Christians cannot be possessed.
Nominal Christians are those that claim to be Christian but are not. And they can be convinced they are when they claim the name of Christ. But they're not truly of God.

God knows his own. He called them to him and his son Jesus Christ. :)

The article>>> Can a Christian be demon possessed? Can a Christian be demonized?

And many more links too

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Really? Where in scripture does Jesus then cast out Satan from Peter?

Same place he drinks milk? Not everything is recorded.

Nominal Christians. Not indwelt Christians.

Same thing.

Indwelt Christians are Saints not sinners.

Not all Christians are saints and all Christians are sinners.

Peter wasn't possessed by Satan.

Yet the text shows he must have been.

Upvote 0

Colin.B.H

Jul 16, 2016
Tennessee
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes they can.

1Pe 5:8 Be serious and keep watch; the Evil One, who is against you, goes about like a lion with open mouth in search of food;
1Pe 5:9 Do not give way to him but be strong in your faith, in the knowledge that your brothers who are in the world undergo the same troubles.

The fact that Christians are warned means it's possible for them to succumb to Satan if they have any weaknesses in their faith.

Ever hear of the Apostasy? Christians falling away to a false God is similar to being possessed as both are examples of weaknesses.
Your passages from 1Peter are saying to be aware of temptation and not possession.

Upvote 0