Meleas

Dec 11, 2015
US
✟15,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So just wanted to see how different parents handle the whole Santa thing? I grew up in Germany, and Santa isn't really a big thing there. We St. Nicholas day December 6th. And in Germany the "Christ Kind" (Christ child) delivers the presents. My mom is a JW so growing up I never really celebrated Christmas, and my mom always told me how disappointed she was when she found out it was her parents that gave her the gifts. So i personally have decided against the Santa thing, but what do you do for Christmas? Oh we also do the advent wreath which is a big thing in Germany.

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟204,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We discuss Jesus and St. Nick every year. My child has always known Santa was fun to pretend in and watch movies about, but he is simply not real. We also never did the tooth fairy and the easter bunny, though my kiddo is aware of "who" they are.

We exchange moderate gifts with each other, often handmade, in remembrance of the first Christmas when the wise men gave gifts to Jesus. Since Jesus is not here in corporeal form, we exchange gifts with each other in remembrance.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Santa Claus existed when I was young enough and eventually transitioned into a convenient fiction, a way a child could get gifts at Christmas that (at least nominally) were not from mom and dad.

Santa was not entirely unique, occasionally someone would get a gift from the dog or the cats, usually something suitable for playing with the same. Or the cats might get something for the dog. Of course all the children knew that was a fiction, cats and dogs can't even do a decent job of opening a present, let alone wrapping one.

Some mystery, wonder and make believe are good, not just for children but also for adults. I do not see a problem unless it get's carried on long after the joy has vanished.

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This year I thought I might be a little creative so I suggested a manger scene instead of a Christmas tree with the gifts placed before it. Instead of Santa handing out the gifts we would have one of the wise men hand them out since they came bearing gifts although some two years later [imagine having to wait two years! lol]. When a gift was received the one receiving is to pray a double portion on the giver according to Jesus' teaching that it is more blessed to give than receive.

It'll be fun but I'm afraid its not all that popular. Some members of the family think its being "too religious" a suggestion I think is absolutely ridiculous.

Santa was always taught to me as the memory of St Nicholas and in particular his generosity showing a Christ-likeness. The Christmas tree signified the cross and Jesus gift of his life for our salvation. The shiny baubles we hung exuded the joy of knowing our sins are forgiven [expressed in the angelic visitation in Luke's gospel], and our gifts our willingness to be as Jesus was.

Its not perfect, I know, but it taught me some important lessons about sharing and loving.

Upvote 0