Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"While the debate over the legitimacy of same-sex marriage can be viewed from many perspectives, there should be little debate about the effects it has upon children: Same-sex marriage deliberately deprives the child of a mother or a father, and is therefore harmful. The College has sought to defend the child’s position in this debate from an objective, scientific standpoint. Below you will find convincing evidence of the fundamental value of the married, father-mother family unit to the optimal development of the child."

And a secular source.

http://www.acpeds.org/same-sex-marriage-not-best-for-children

Last edited by a moderator:

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If we hypothetically assume that all else being equal children do better with a good father, a good mother, a good extended family and a good community...

There are still massively more children deprived of some or all of those things by factors other than gay marriage -factors we could be doing something serious to address.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"While the debate over the legitimacy of same-sex marriage can be viewed from many perspectives, there should be little debate about the effects it has upon children: Same-sex marriage deliberately deprives the child of a mother or a father, and is therefore harmful. The College has sought to defend the child’s position in this debate from an objective, scientific standpoint. Below you will find convincing evidence of the fundamental value of the married, father-mother family unit to the optimal development of the child."

And a secular source.

What if the gay marriages are childless? How about if single mothers or single fathers who would not marry members of the same-sex, marry members of the opposite sex instead of staying single? Is having two parents of the same-sex married (or in a civil union or whatever you want to call it if the term marriage offends) raise children together better than children living in a single-parent home in terms of outcomes for any children involved? I'd be interested in a study in terms of rate of imprisonment and all that stuff and other quantifiable life outcomes. Studies that show that children of single parents are more likely to be imprisoned as adults than children with a mother and father together in the home are often cited- I wonder where children with two same-sex guardians fall statistically when it comes to stuff like that.

I know this is a fictional television program, and none of the characters were depicted as gay, but I can't help thinking about a wholesome family program from the late 1980s and early 1990s called Full House. On the show, a father of three young girls was widowed when their mother died. Rather than raise the children alone, he invited his brother-in-law and a good friend to live in the house with them and help him raise the children (I guess in return they got free rent or something, I'm not sure). There was nothing gay about it, the men all dated women during the show and the brother-in-law even wound up marrying a woman and having his own kids, living in an attic apartment during the last seasons of the show's television run.

Though the show was kind of unrealistic in the ways most television sitcoms are unrealistic, I didn't feel the part where the children seemed to benefit from the extra love and attention and structure that having extra adults who were like fathers or uncles to them (One was actually an Uncle, the other they just called an Uncle even though he wasn't a blood relative) brought. It seems like children of gay couples could benefit from that.

And what about kids who are unlikely to be adopted and just get shuffled through foster home after foster home and institution after institution? Wouldn't some of them have better outcomes in a permanent family with two men or two women when the alternative is not ever having a real family? I know in particular, African-American children have a hard time getting adopted in this country. I briefly corresponded via email with a white gay Episcopalian priest who married his long-time partner. They adopted a bunch of African-American kids. Now those kids have a permanent home with two loving adults and they probably go to church every Sunday and live in a rectory and have a whole parish community to give them guidance and support. That's gotta be better than an orphanage or a never ending series of foster homes, some of which are bound to be questionable, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
These videos explain the psychology of why the people who were against changing the definition of marriage suddenly changed their minds in unison with the group.

Personally, I came out in favor of civil gay marriage 15 years or so ago. I read an editorial that changed my mind on the issue from having previously been opposed to it as a child. I guess I'm just ahead of the curve.

Upvote 0

twob4me

Shark bait hoo ha ha
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2003
Here :)
✟215,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay this thread has gone through a clean up and I pretty much had to remove most of the thread due to violations. Please stay on topic and STOP with the Flaming! You should be addressing the CONTENT of the post NOT the poster personally. Also stating or implying someone is a troll is considered Flaming and therefore is not allowed. Let me also remind you that if you feel a post is in violation report it and DO NOT REPLY TO IT. Replying in kind is not only NOT helpful to the situation but can possibly land you with a staff action.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And a secular source.

By this logic, shouldn't we also take children away from single parent families? If a husband dies, take the children away from the widow, as the children no longer have a father figure, and should be placed into foster care where they can get one?

My parents divorced when I was young, and I grew up with my mother. I don't see that I have suffered at all from not having a father figure around much.

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
By this logic, shouldn't we also take children away from single parent families? If a husband dies, take the children away from the widow, as the children no longer have a father figure, and should be placed into foster care where they can get one?

My parents divorced when I was young, and I grew up with my mother. I don't see that I have suffered at all from not having a father figure around much.
If this argument was anything more than an ad hoc justification, yes.

Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
These videos explain the psychology of why the people who were against changing the definition of marriage suddenly changed their minds in unison with the group.

They also explain how organized religions get and keep people
and
How the Republican party keeps people voting against their own self-interest.

Reactions: Mex5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
well God created the family in such a way
if He wanted homosexuals to have their own family He would have made it so they could procreate

"If God wanted.." statements really don't work, and atheists use them quite often to suggest that God is disinterested, incapable, or a monster. We have to be careful with those.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Or he could give us the intelligence to figure out solutions to problems.

God has given us intelligence to figure out solutions to many problems :)

but some people reject godly wisdom and want to persist in willful ignorance and sin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
God has given us intelligence to figure out solutions to many problems :)

but some people reject godly wisdom and want to persist in willful ignorance and sin
I don't disagree with that.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

And a secular source.
It's kind of hypocritical of SS couples to want to raise children in their environment - while yet they themselves either were raised in a home of a mom and dad - or - they wished they had the one parent who was absent.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's kind of hypocritical of SS couples to want to raise children in their environment -
while yet they themselves either were raised in a home of a mom and dad -
No it's not

or - they wished they had the one parent who was absent.
how do you know they did? Or that they would have been better off they had? Or that they associate that with needing both genders present?

Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/news/detail/articolo/21293/

One of these two new studies is by sociologist Mark Regnerus of the University of Texas. His study used a methodology that was innovative both in quantitative and qualitative terms. It based its results on a larger sample on a national level and most importantly, it took into consideration the testimonies of (by now grown up) children that were raised by same-sex couples.

From the data presented which caused the greatest stir, it emerged that 12% of children brought up by same-sex couples contemplate suicide (against 5% of children with heterosexual parents), they are more inclined to be unfaithful (40% against 13%), they are unemployed more often (28% against 8%) and they are more likely to visit a psychotherapist (19% against 8%). They are also more often under social service surveillance compared to peers who are raised by heterosexual couples. In 40% of cases they will catch a sexually transmitted disease at some point (against 8% of peers raised by heterosexual couples) and they are generally less healthy, poorer and more likely to smoke and commit criminal offences.

The author states that the few studies published so far that support the theory that there is no difference between children brought up in heterosexual and homosexual families “are based on non-random, non-representative data often employing small samples that do not allow for generalization to the larger population of gay and lesbian families.”

O boy - we dont need more criminals. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.