Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That law Paul references in Rom. 2:13 and that is the only one that must be obeyed to be declared righteous by God. You however haven't and won't.
The law does not make us righteous with God, because we could never obey it, but Jesus alone makes us right with God the debt he paid for His children.

If you look at a woman with lust it is adultery if you are mad at your brother you are a murder. Man ca not keeps God's standard its why we need Jesus.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,206.00
Faith
Baptist
Careful PG you are showing your true colors.:)

All of your education and study has made you blind to the truth that salvation is all of God in Christ. You espouse a works salvation that is clearly against the Scriptures. The early church never taught that man saves himself and neither does the Scriptures. Your theology makes man his own savior and makes man to be in control of God.

If all of my education and study has made me blind to “the truth that salvation is all of God in Christ,” what blinded the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers to such a notion? Indeed, what blinded the entire Church for the first 1,600 years of her existence to such a notion? If your notion is true and the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers and the entire Church for the first 1,600 years of her existence was in error, the Bible is not and could not possibly be the inspired word of God but the work of functionally illiterate fools that wrote so poorly that no one was able to understand them until the Reformation. But no, it is your notion, a 16th century invention based upon a faulty premise, that is wrong—and most horribly so!

If you had carefully and prayerfully read my posts instead at jumping at a chance to insult me, you would know from my posts that I have NEVER espoused a “works salvation” but have consistently taught that we who are Christians have been saved by grace through faith. The early church never taught that man saves himself and neither have I because the Scriptures do not teach such a thing and the Holy Spirit has confirmed in my heart that such a teaching is a heresy of the very worst kind! My theology is the theology of the Bible—that we who are Christians have been saved by grace through faith solely upon the merit of our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus, and apart from any merit of our own.

BTW, I have a fairly extensive library that contains volume after volume that contradicts the so called scholars you claim to follow. You are not the only one here who has an extensive library or who has knowledge of the original languages.

How dare you presumptuously write of men and women who have unselfishly devoted their lives to the study of the Bible and refer to them as the “so called scholars you claim to follow”! My personal library of over 4,000 bound volumes and a multitude of volumes in electronic format includes works by the finest scholars representing an extremely wide spectrum of theological thought, and although I greatly respect and admire them, I have NEVER claimed to follow any of them—and I have NEVER followed any of them. I selected and acquired their works based upon their expertise and detailed knowledge of matters of interest to me regardless of their place on the theological spectrum. Therefore, if the volumes in your personal library contradict these scholars, they contradict knowledge itself!

Quit giving folks your credentials as though it makes you higher or better than the rest of us. It doesn't. The Apostles were simple folk who were given light by the Spirit.

I posted a few details about myself in reply to the following words by Job8, “When in doubt, the only course of action is to go back to the Word of God itself, and examine the truth about salvation.” My purpose was not to exalt myself but to emphatically reply that that is exactly what I do—and the outcome of that study is the absolute knowledge that the Bible does not teach any of the doctrines that fall under the umbrella of eternal security, but instead teaches the true doctrine of conditional security.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,206.00
Faith
Baptist
The law does not make us righteous with God, because we could never obey it, but Jesus alone makes us right with God the debt he paid for His children.

If you look at a woman with lust it is adultery if you are mad at your brother you are a murder. Man ca not keeps God's standard its why we need Jesus.

What do you believe Christ accomplished on the cross? This is what I believe He accomplished,

Romans 8:1. Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4. so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (NASB, 1995)

If the requirement of the Law is not fulfilled in man, what has been accomplished in his life?

1 John 3:7. Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous;
8. the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
9. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10. By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother. (NASB, 1995)

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That law Paul references in Rom. 2:13 and that is the only one that must be obeyed to be declared righteous by God. You however haven't and won't.
The law referenced by Paul in Rom. 2:13 is the law given on Sinai. So you keep it do you?

How many times a day do you sacrifice at the Temple? How do you keep the Sabbath? Can you honestly say that you love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself? Unless you can you have not even begun to keep the law.
(Psa 24:3) Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?

(Psa 24:4) He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.

(Psa 24:5) He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If all of my education and study has made me blind to “the truth that salvation is all of God in Christ,” what blinded the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers to such a notion? Indeed, what blinded the entire Church for the first 1,600 years of her existence to such a notion? If your notion is true and the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers and the entire Church for the first 1,600 years of her existence was in error, the Bible is not and could not possibly be the inspired word of God but the work of functionally illiterate fools that wrote so poorly that no one was able to understand them until the Reformation. But no, it is your notion, a 16th century invention based upon a faulty premise, that is wrong—and most horribly so!
My "notion" comes from the Scriptures not from the Reformation. As for what the "church" supposedly believed or the Ante-Nicene Fathers you have read into their writings your views just as you do the Scriptures. The RCC was never the "church" up until the Reformation. Though the church did exist it was never the majority nor was it part of the RCC. You have made it clear more than once that you are closer to being RCC than you are to being Baptist. I know you claim to be Baptist but you reveal your true theology by your posts.

If you had carefully and prayerfully read my posts instead at jumping at a chance to insult me, you would know from my posts that I have NEVER espoused a “works salvation” but have consistently taught that we who are Christians have been saved by grace through faith. The early church never taught that man saves himself and neither have I because the Scriptures do not teach such a thing and the Holy Spirit has confirmed in my heart that such a teaching is a heresy of the very worst kind! My theology is the theology of the Bible—that we who are Christians have been saved by grace through faith solely upon the merit of our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus, and apart from any merit of our own.
What you claim and what you argue are two different things. You claim to not believe in a works salvation but your whole argument and theology makes it very clear that you do believe in a works salvation.

Notice how you worded your response. It is just like the RCC who claim the same thing. Also notice that you left out the word alone in your description of how we are saved. That is a convenient deception that many may miss. But just like the RCC you do not hold to salvation by grace alone through faith alone but salvation by grace through faith coupled with works which makes your theology a works salvation.

How dare you presumptuously write of men and women who have unselfishly devoted their lives to the study of the Bible and refer to them as the “so called scholars you claim to follow”! My personal library of over 4,000 bound volumes and a multitude of volumes in electronic format includes works by the finest scholars representing an extremely wide spectrum of theological thought, and although I greatly respect and admire them, I have NEVER claimed to follow any of them—and I have NEVER followed any of them. I selected and acquired their works based upon their expertise and detailed knowledge of matters of interest to me regardless of their place on the theological spectrum. Therefore, if the volumes in your personal library contradict these scholars, they contradict knowledge itself!
Since you want to see who can pee the farthest my personal library is about 3500 bound volumes and thousands more in electronic format. It consists of all different theologies in order for me to understand what others believe and why. I do not heap to myself only those who agree with me but look at those who do not as well. I have often found a nugget of truth in them and at the very least I am given a different perspective though I may not agree with it.

As for the men and women who "unselfishly devoted their lives to the study of the Bible", I must wonder how many of them do or did it for a vocation rather than as a calling. They devoted their lives to their jobs not to a calling. Many men and women unselfishly devote their lives to their jobs. Their devotion means nothing. Moreover most of those you claim are scholars are nothing but academics who devote themselves to theory and, in my experience, have little use other than to come up with something new to advance themselves to a higher plane of academics. I am not impressed by them.

I posted a few details about myself in reply to the following words by Job8, “When in doubt, the only course of action is to go back to the Word of God itself, and examine the truth about salvation.” My purpose was not to exalt myself but to emphatically reply that that is exactly what I do—and the outcome of that study is the absolute knowledge that the Bible does not teach any of the doctrines that fall under the umbrella of eternal security, but instead teaches the true doctrine of conditional security.
Hence the username right? You want folks to know where you went to school and that you are an academic right? Your posts are filled with pointing to "scholars" who agree with you many of whom are RCC. You see to it that everyone knows of your "credentials" as though we ought to be intimidated by them. I am sure many are. But you are not the only one here who has actually devoted his life, unpaid by the way, to the study of the Scriptures for more than the last twenty years. The difference between us seems to me to be that one of us has been led by the Spirit and the other not.

Upvote 0

Theodore A. Jones

Sep 20, 2015
✟436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13

Upvote 0

Theodore A. Jones

Sep 20, 2015
✟436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you believe Christ accomplished on the cross? This is what I believe He accomplished,

Romans 8:1. Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4. so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (NASB, 1995)

If the requirement of the Law is not fulfilled in man, what has been accomplished in his life?

1 John 3:7. Little children, make sure no one deceives you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous;
8. the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
9. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
10. By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother. (NASB, 1995)
No man's murder is a direct benefit and anyone who teaches that is not practicing righteousness rather they are lying to the people, an unrighteous activity that God forbids. Lev. 19:11b

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No man's murder is a direct benefit and anyone who teaches that is not practicing righteousness rather they are lying to the people, an unrighteous activity that God forbids. Lev. 19:11b
Are you denying that the death of Christ was of benefit to sinners? How can you do so and claim to be a Christian?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Theodore A. Jones

Sep 20, 2015
✟436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you denying that the death of Christ was of benefit to sinners? How can you do so and claim to be a Christian?
What is the sin that was repented of in Acts 2 in order to be added to the church Jesus Christ is head of? The murder of Jesus Christ is not a direct benefit. It wasn't for them and neither is it for you.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What is the sin that was repented of in Acts 2 in order to be added to the church Jesus Christ is head of? The murder of Jesus Christ is not a direct benefit. It wasn't for them and neither is it for you.

Oh,ok. I see why you said we are not brothers. Because your not a Believer...

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,"-1 Peter 1:3

"God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood--to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished"- Romans 3:25

"If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied."-1 Corinthians 15:19

Praying that God will guide you friend.
-A Servant

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Those who claim that anyone can *lose* his salvation really have no clue about what Scripture reveals. Salvation is not like your car keys which you can lose or misplace. Salvation is Christ Himself and CHRIST IN YOU, THE HOPE OF OF GLORY.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Theodore A. Jones

Sep 20, 2015
✟436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh,ok. I see why you said we are not brothers. Because your not a Believer...

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,"-1 Peter 1:3

"God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood--to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished"- Romans 3:25

"If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied."-1 Corinthians 15:19

Praying that God will guide you friend.
-A Servant
What is the sin they had the faith to repent of in order to be added to the church Jesus Christ is head of? "Give to the one who asks you." JC If you won't obey Him you ain't one of His flock. Comprenda?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The law Paul references in Rom. 2:13 is not the Sinai code. You can only become a Christian by the faith of obeying that law Paul is referencing.
According to the context it is. You are twisting the context if you think it is any other law than the Sinaiatic Law.

It is difficult to tell, are you Mormon or JW?

Upvote 0

Theodore A. Jones

Sep 20, 2015
✟436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the context it is. You are twisting the context if you think it is any other law than the Sinaiatic Law.

It is difficult to tell, are you Mormon or JW?
I am not affiliated with nor a supporter of any contemporary religious soteriological perspective. Rom. 2:13 is not referencing Sinaiatic law.

Upvote 0

PrincetonGuy

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
U.S.A.
✟108,206.00
Faith
Baptist
My "notion" comes from the Scriptures not from the Reformation.

No, it most certainly does not!

As for what the "church" supposedly believed or the Ante-Nicene Fathers you have read into their writings your views just as you do the Scriptures.

This is nothing but a hateful, malicious lie without even an attempt to document it!

The RCC was never the "church" up until the Reformation. Though the church did exist it was never the majority nor was it part of the RCC.

Even a dog knows another dog when he sees one.

You have made it clear more than once that you are closer to being RCC than you are to being Baptist.

If you were even vaguely familiar with Roman Catholic theology you would know for an incontrovertible fact that your statement is utterly false.

I know you claim to be Baptist but you reveal your true theology by your posts.

Men and women who are familiar with Baptist theology know that my theology is Baptist.

What you claim and what you argue are two different things. You claim to not believe in a works salvation but your whole argument and theology makes it very clear that you do believe in a works salvation.

Revelation 21:8 “But as for the cowardly, the faithless, {Or [the unbelieving]} the polluted, the murderers, the fornicators, the sorcerers, the idolaters, and all liars, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (NRSV)

Notice how you worded your response. It is just like the RCC who claim the same thing. Also notice that you left out the word alone in your description of how we are saved. That is a convenient deception that many may miss.

Did Paul and the other contributors to the New Testament, with the single exception of James, deceive us by leaving out the word ‘alone’ in their description of how we are saved?

James 2:24. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. (NRSV)

But just like the RCC you do not hold to salvation by grace alone through faith alone but salvation by grace through faith coupled with works which makes your theology a works salvation.

As I posted above,

The distinguished Jesuit theologian Robert Francis Romulus Bellarmine (1542-1621) listed eight earlier authors who used the adverb. Joseph A. Fitzmyer, a contemporary Roman Catholic scholar, in his monumental commentary on the Greek text of Paul’s Epistle to the Romans, listed two more, Theodoret and Thomas Aquinas. The doctrine of justification by faith alone was not a spurious doctrine introduced into the Church by Martin Luther—it has been taught throughout the history of the Church.​

The Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible (1971) has the following note on Rom. 3:21-31,

The justice of God is his mercy whereby he declares guilty man innocent and makes him so. He does this, not as a result of the law, but apart from it (v 21), not because of any merit of man, but through forgiveness of his sins (v 24) in virtue of the redemption wrought in Christ Jesus for all who believe (22-24f), No man can boast of his own holiness, since it is God’s free gift (27), both to the Jew who practices circumcision out of faith, and to the Gentile who accepts faith without the Old Testament religious culture symbolized by circumcision (29f).​

The Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible with the second edition of the New Testament (1986) has the following note on Rom. 3:21-31,

These verses provide a clear statement of Paul’s “gospel,” i.e., the principle of justification by faith in Christ. God has found a means of rescuing humanity from its desperate plight: Paul’s general term for this divine initiative is the righteousness of God (21). Divine mercy declares the guilty innocent and makes them so. God does this not as a result of the law but apart from it (21), and not because of any merit in human beings but through forgiveness of their sins (24), in virtue of the redemption wrought in Christ Jesus for all who believe (22, 24-25). God has manifested his righteousness in the coming of Jesus Christ, whose saving activity inaugurates a new era in human history.​

The Saint Joseph Edition of the New American Bible with the second edition of the New Testament (1986) has the following note on Rom. 4:3,

Jas 2, 24 appears to conflict with Paul’s statement. However, James combats the error of extremists who used the doctrine of justification through faith as a screen for moral self-determination. Paul discusses the subject of holiness in greater detail than does James and beginning with ch 6 shows how justification through faith introduces one to the gift of a new life in Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.​

Yes, this is a Roman Catholic Bible with Roman Catholic notes published by the Catholic Book Publishing Company in New York with both the Imprimatur and the Nihil Obstat.

As for the men and women who "unselfishly devoted their lives to the study of the Bible", I must wonder how many of them do or did it for a vocation rather than as a calling. They devoted their lives to their jobs not to a calling. Many men and women unselfishly devote their lives to their jobs. Their devotion means nothing. Moreover most of those you claim are scholars are nothing but academics who devote themselves to theory and, in my experience, have little use other than to come up with something new to advance themselves to a higher plane of academics. I am not impressed by them.

These are nothing but hatefully malicious remarks about men and women you have never even met! How does any man become so full of hatred toward other human being?

Hence the username right? You want folks to know where you went to school and that you are an academic right?

No.

Your posts are filled with pointing to "scholars" who agree with you many of whom are RCC.

Not true!

You see to it that everyone knows of your "credentials" as though we ought to be intimidated by them.

I have never posted my credentials on Christian Forums.

The difference between us seems to me to be that one of us has been led by the Spirit and the other not.

The Holy Spirit gives to those who yield to Him a love for others—rather than hatred and contempt! He also makes known to us those who love Him—including our brothers and sisters in the Roman Catholic Church. My best friend for more than 30 years is a staunch five-point Calvinist, and we are very close friends because we share the same Holy Sprit and the same love for God and His word. We also share an aversion for the Roman Catholic dogma that separates it from Protestantism.

Upvote 0