Salvation Army supports Planned Parenthood & defys Catholic morality.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
It's pointless to give money to the Salvation Army, since they also evangelize people.
::shock::

Did you think about what what you said before you said it? Wouldn't want anyone proclaiming the gospel, would we?

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
::shock::

Did you think about what what you said before you said it? Wouldn't want anyone proclaiming the gospel, would we?

Not erroneously, no.

You may not have realized, but it's a common thing for Protestant "missions" to go to third world countries to convert the Catholics there. I've been told that there are groups which even interrupt Mass.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Not erroneously, no.

You may not have realized, but it's a common thing for Protestant "missions" to go to third world countries to convert the Catholics there. I've been told that there are groups which even interrupt Mass.
Of course there are stupid abuses executed around the world by the over-zealous. But it wouldn't be fair to judge the day-to-day work of the Salvation Army, which in many places gets along very cooperatively with the Catholic Church and its social justice instruments, by why some other group are doing somewhere else. In general, preaching the gospel in action and word is a good thing, whether its conducted by a Salvation Army Captain or a Catholic brother (and we'll all do it imperfectly and incompletely).

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Of course there are stupid abuses executed around the world by the over-zealous. But it wouldn't be fair to judge the day-to-day work of the Salvation Army, which in many places gets along very cooperatively with the Catholic Church and its social justice instruments, by why some other group are doing somewhere else. In general, preaching the gospel in action and word is a good thing, whether its conducted by a Salvation Army Captain or a Catholic brother (and we'll all do it imperfectly and incompletely).

I doubt that the Salvation Army uses a proper translation of the Bible, and they teach erroneous things anyway.

On top of that, there is the possibility that they have an improper attitude towards life and abortion and if they do they must reform or they will have much to answer before God.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I doubt that the Salvation Army uses a proper translation of the Bible, and they teach erroneous things anyway.
So far as i know they use perfectly reasonable translations, and I've yet to meet anyone who teaches perfectly. Certainly Vatican documents and Benedict XVI have a much more positive view of the input of other Christian traditions in both evangelism and social action than you do.

Not to mention Philippians 1:15-18

On top of that, there is the possibility that they have an improper attitude towards life and abortion...
That seems to have been thoroughly refuted...

and if they do they must reform or they will have much to answer before God.
As will we all.

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So far as i know they use perfectly reasonable translations, and I've yet to meet anyone who teaches perfectly. Certainly Vatican documents and Benedict XVI have a much more positive view of the input of other Christian traditions in both evangelism and social action than you do.

Not to mention Philippians 1:15-18

If they reject Catholicism's position on Mary, the Eucharist, the Catholic Church, and many other things, what good is it if they wave a Bible around at people?

That seems to have been thoroughly refuted...

If they take the same view of abortion as Catholicism, then that's a positive step.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If they reject Catholicism's position on Mary, the Eucharist, the Catholic Church, and many other things, what good is it if they wave a Bible around at people?
Sorry, but I cannot help agreeing with Benedict, the Vatican, and St Paul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
That is a straight answer.

If one thing is immutably true, than whatever contradicts it cannot also be true.

So you are saying Paul, Benedict and the Vatican are contradicting the truth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
No, I'm suggesting that Protestants may be contradicting them.

So Paul, Benedict and the Catholic church are correct when they see imperfect, non Catholics, proclaiming the Gospel in word and action as a good thing or not?

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So Paul, Benedict and the Catholic church are correct when they see imperfect, non Catholics, proclaiming the Gospel in word and action as a good thing or not?

If they're proclaiming the truth, sure. If they're spreading misinformation and lies about Christ's teachings and anything else in Sacred Scripture, then no.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If they're proclaiming the truth, sure. If they're spreading misinformation and lies about Christ's teachings and anything else in Sacred Scripture, then no.

And given the reality that it's bound to be somewhere between those two extremes and that Church and Scripture still say it's generally a good thing, how do you reconcile what you originally said with what the church teaches?

Upvote 0

ChristoEtEcclesiae

Nov 21, 2010
✟1,727.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And given the reality that it's bound to be somewhere between those two extremes and that Church and Scripture still say it's generally a good thing, how do you reconcile what you originally said with what the church teaches?

If it conforms to Catholic teaching, then it's fine.

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Depending on where you live, the Salvation Army might be the only place in town where needy people can turn for help.

I think most people tend to think "any port in a storm." If they are really needy, they will get help wherever they can.

And if, in our communities, help usually comes from the Salvation Army or the Methodists or the Baptists, there is no harm in helping the needy by contributing to those causes.

I live in an area of the country where Catholics are only about 5% of the population and the Catholic Charities offices are almost 200 miles away.
If I see hungry people in my community I am not going to say, "Oh, the Salvation Army helps the hungry here. I'm going to help the hungry 200 miles away."

Out here when my mom fell on a hard time she couldn't afford to heat her home even though she's never been lazy. She had food but barely any and she reached out to Catholic charities and asked for some help somewhere. Her electric bill was really low like 18 dollars and her heat bill was 35 dollars that month and she had been in the hospital and spent enough time in the hospital that she got let go at her job.

Anyway she called Catholic charities and no lie they told her that they don't assist needy single adults only families and usually only ones with kids! This was Christmastime 06 and they straight up told her and ME that this season was about the kids. My mom had donated to them time and time again and not in hopes to receive any return but when SHE needed them they turned up their nose.

I don't agree with Salvation Army's take on abortion, though.:crossrc:

Upvote 0