1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Please help us test our new CF PrayPal app available right now in the Google Play store for Android devices. The iPhone app should be available within the next few days. If you would be so kind to also add a review for it that would be great! Thanks!

Just Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Salvation Army supports Planned Parenthood & defys Catholic morality.

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by BAFRIEND, Dec 29, 2010.

1. BAFRIEND

BAFRIEND New Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    okay, as i leave here for many more months i just wanted to start this thread about the Salvation Army

in brief, a dear friend of mine who is geatly involved with prolife told me a couple weeks ago as we watched a long line of women rushing in to abort (kill) their children before Christmas, he told me that the Salvation Army supports abortion

i checked into it shallowly and it does seem that the Salvation Army knowingly contributes funds to the United Way and the Salvation Army knows that funds will be appropriated to Planned Parenthood

similarily, i discovered this quote in another forum:

this is just food for thought and since i have only touched the surface, if you are interested i hope you help to evolve this thread and the depth of Salvation Armys involvement

i only donate myslef to local Catholic Charitys whom through my own involvement or insight i know exactly where the money is going

until maybe October, peace everybody

here is the link to the quote:
    link

2. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    :eek: A Christian group believing in killing innocent babes?!!!:cry::cry:

3. CruciFixed

CruciFixed New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    "Christian" suppose we no longer support them with donations?

4. JacktheCatholic

JacktheCatholic Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I usually donate to Salvation Army but today I gave 6 large bags of clothes and two bed frames to "Grace Centers of Hope".

After reading this:
    I am starting to think there will soon be such a large boycott list that I will have to start growing my own food and making my own clothes and move near the Amish.

5. ChristoEtEcclesiae

ChristoEtEcclesiae New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Donate to Catholic Charities, Catholic Extension, or some other Catholic charitable organization instead.

6. ChristoEtEcclesiae

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Catholic
    From www.salvationarmyusa.org

So they're not telling women to go out and abort if they conceived a kid because they slept around, however it seems that they are fine with abortion in "tragic" circumstances after prayer, family, and pastoral support.

7. sea oat

sea oat Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Actually I'm shocked to find out that the United Way gives to Planned Parenthood.

When I had a summer job at Target about 5 years ago, they had an option to give something like $5 out of your paycheck to United Way. I opted in. If only I could go back in time. Oh well.

[Edit] I just checked the United Way website, and apparently, the decision on whether to give to Planned Parenthood is one that's made locally.

http://www.unitedway.org/worldwide/faq/faq.cfm?MID=70#parenthood

8. Antisock

Antisock Guest

9. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian

Once again you come back to this forum making unfounded accusations based on anecdotal evidence. Can you provide any real evidence, other than you talked to a friend ?

Here is a position statement from the Salvation Army website:

Here is the link to all the Salvation Army's positions on various moral and ethical issues:

Before you slander a good Christian organization, that does plenty for the poor and downtrodden, you should try proceeding with an informed mind.

Good luck on leaving the forum.

10. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    I hope everyone who reads bafriend, will do their own educated research. I would hate to see those that are hungry and suffering go without, because of a hateful smear campaign based on ignorance.

From the Boston Globe: August 2010

Salvation Army cuts ties with United Way - The Boston Globe

11. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    Here is more information. Most companies push the United way.

On this same article that explained how the United way extracted money from the Salvation Army. This prefaced the article:

12. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    here is an article this December from the Herald Dispatch in Virginia:

Salvation Army won't seek UW funding - The Herald Dispatch

13. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    Oh no the Catholic charities accepts Abortion coats for the poor.

14. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Why would the Salvation Army give funds to the United Way when it is itself a charity?

And, BTW, you don't have to stop contributing to the United Way, because you can designate that the money you contribute go to one or more charities of your choice. We have done this on occasion.

One thing that impressed me about the Salvation Army is that in my town, you have to meet certain criteria to use the food pantry, and one of those is having a green card or being a citizen. If you're undocumented and have fallen on hard times, the Salvation Army is your only hope, and they only give out food once a month.

The immigrants I know are hardworking, but, like everyone else, they sometimes lose their jobs, etc. It's nice to know that the Salvation Army is there for them when the food pantry isn't.

15. AMDG

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    The Salvation Army is a religion. Religions have a habit of giving to charity. I know that one of the charities in the Catholic Annual Appeal by me was once the United Way.

16. ChristoEtEcclesiae

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Constitution
    Faith:
    Catholic
    It's pointless to give money to the Salvation Army, since they also evangelize people. Your money is better spent on Catholic Charities or Catholic Extension or for seminary aid.

17. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Depending on where you live, the Salvation Army might be the only place in town where needy people can turn for help.

I think most people tend to think "any port in a storm." If they are really needy, they will get help wherever they can.

And if, in our communities, help usually comes from the Salvation Army or the Methodists or the Baptists, there is no harm in helping the needy by contributing to those causes.

I live in an area of the country where Catholics are only about 5% of the population and the Catholic Charities offices are almost 200 miles away.
    If I see hungry people in my community I am not going to say, "Oh, the Salvation Army helps the hungry here. I'm going to help the hungry 200 miles away."

18. AMDG

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Still, the Salvation Army is not a "charity". It is a religion that does charitable work. Once people realize that, they can decide where they want to give--to the local food bank or charity, a Catholic, Baptist, Church of Christ, et. al. soup kitchen, or to the Salvation Army for their evangelical program.

Heard that St. Vincent de Paul has a program for the poor and it's Catholic too.

19. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Some companies offer matching funds for United Way contributions--so you get double your money on your donation.

I don't think I've seen a St. Vincent De Paul since I left NY.

20. JacktheCatholic

JacktheCatholic Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    We have a St Vincent DePaul by us. Funny thing is that they can be rather "picky" about the stuff you donate.