United States
✟15,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, I've just discovered the glorious beauty that is Sacred Harp. The Congregationalist and Baptist side of my family used to sing it, and I was wondering what people thought of it.

Below are two examples.

Here's an older more traditional convention: 1982 Holly Springs Sacred Harp Convention: Hallelujah (#146) - YouTube

And a newer Irish convention: 107 Russia - Second Ireland Sacred Harp Convention - YouTube

The music is descended from the colonial Puritans method of singing psalms a cappella in the place of hymns, but really grew down in the American South.

Your thoughts? Other examples?

Reactions: Rebecca Sue

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
right. In rural areas, sacred harp and related songs were done in social gatherings.

There's lots of interesting early American music. A lot of my recordings are medieval, renaissance, and early American. One interesting record is "New Britain: The Roots of American Folksong," done by Boston Camarata. It shows how many of the early American songs are based in European songs, though the American ones often sound quite different.

Upvote 0

VDMA

Confessional Lutheran
Jul 29, 2013
United States
✟15,297.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I found them both very interesting, thank you for sharing them. Is this not similar to something called Shape note singing? I'm not sure but it reminds me of it anyway.

Shape note is the type of musical notation (the way the music is physically written down) that Sacred Harp is written in.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟17,342.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The music is descended from the colonial Puritans method of singing psalms a cappella in the place of hymns, but really grew down in the American South.

Your thoughts? Other examples?

A cappella psalm singing has been sung in some very different styles of music, and was brought to North America in differing forms.

Sacred Harp is specifically descended from a type of rural church singing from England called West Gallery, though it did absorb other influences (such as American camp meeting tunes). There are many examples of West Gallery singing on You Tube for comparison. It's similar in style to Sacred Harp, but one key difference is that it is usually accompanied by musical instruments (though sometimes sung a cappella). Another difference is Sacred Harp has a more rough on the edges quality, while West Gallery sounds closer to medieval church music.

While Sacred Harp tends to be associated with white people of European ancestry, it was also picked up by African Americans who put their own distinctive twist on the style. Here is an example of this by the Wiregrass Sacred Harp singers:

Wiregrass Sacred Harp Singers • Prayer/Come To Jesus Now (1980) - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums